Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> iMessage troubles on XPS 15 9570 | Mojave 10.14(.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
(XPS 15 9570 mobo)
CPU
i7 8750H @Stock Clock
Graphics
Intel UHD 630 | GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
--- Hardware Setup ---
Laptop Model: Dell XPS 15 9570 (4k Touch Version)
CPU: i7 8750H (Stock Clock)
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400
MOBO: (XPS 15 9570 MOBO)
SSD: hynix 512GB nvme
--------------------------

Hello, I'm having an issue with my new dual boot install on my 9570.

This is my third Hackintosh install (I'm still relatively new to everything) and everything seems to be going great with exception to iMessage and FaceTime on Mojave. My EFI setup was from other successful builds of the 9570 (Lulettersoul and BavarianCake) with little to no changes except adding EmuVariableUefi-64. I'm relying on a TredNET Micro 150 in conjunction with chris111's Clover USB Adapter to have wifi functionality while I wait for the Broadcom chip I ordered to come in the mail (Broadcom BCM94352HMB -- I really can't afford to get the DW1830 / similar and this was cheap and supposedly confirmed working by links that shall not be linked)

Steps I've taken:

* Asked 4-5 redditors about the issue
* I've read and tried this, this, (and many other guides I believe I'm prohibited from linking to)

I've tried redoing each of the steps multiple times for the entirety of today but I can't seem to get iMessage working no matter what I do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm relying on a TredNET Micro 150 in conjunction with chris111's Clover USB Adapter to have wifi functionality while I wait for the Broadcom chip I ordered to come in the mail (Broadcom BCM94352HMB

@CaramelCanadian,

WiFi Adapter needs to be flagged as "built-in" otherwise iMessage wont wont work.
You can confirm current status using Hackintool :-

Screenshot 2019-11-08 at 15.05.32.png

The usual way to work around the issue is to create a dummy ethernet device using NullEthernet kext.

The kext tricks MacOS into thinking its connected to the internet via a "built-in" ethernet device when in reality it is connected via your WiFi dongle and thus allows the use of iMessage, FaceTime .. etc

Once your Broadcom combo card arrives you should uninstall the kext before installing the combo card.

Cheers
Jay

Hey! Thanks for the awesome response @jaymonkey. I downloaded NullEthernetInjector and installed it manually and repaired the permissions and ran kextcache, rebooted, and it didn't seem to kick in. I also tried to install this with clover and hackintool but it doesn't seem to register when I do kextstat | grep -y "null", or "ethernet" and my interface doesn't show up in Hackintool as well. Is there something I'm missing, or do you possibly have any ideas?

Thank you again,
CaramelCanadian

Edit -- I got NullEthernet to show up, I copied the wrong file in my ACPI folder for patching. Trying to see if things work now / experimenting with setting the MAC in the kext plist to the MAC of dongle. Will keep updated!

Last edited:
So, major update, this just happened to happen and I'm not sure what happened, but iMessage signed itself in. I happened to have a reminder pushed to my iPhone that showed up on my laptop as well and then I clicked "Later" on the hackintosh. I opened up my phone and voila I got a prompt that my mac was now being used for iMessage and Facetime. Under Hackintool there are still no network interfaces listed but I sent a test text to myself and it went through. I'm not really sure if this is some weird glitch or bug or something but I'm pretty happy it's working at the moment. I'll keep the thread updated on if this sticks with a reboot and I'll post the steps I did? Sorry I can't respond with pictures.. my hackintosh wifi speed is atrocious with this dongle but it's better than nothing :p.

Thanks again!
CaramelCanadian

Update day 2 -- Everything is in working order! I'm waiting on a DW 1560 to come in for my XPS, (the one I bought earlier was mPCIe and not A/E Key like my Killer 1535 I currently have and I didn't notice until now.. T_T) but everything is stable. If someone happens to be having similar issues and is stuck at the point that I was at, I hope this thread helps. Here are the steps to reproduce what happened (assuming we are starting at the same point).

1. Have a completed Mojave 10.14.0 install with your beautiful kext setups and etcetera
2. Even if you're using a wifi dongle in absence of a card, it may be supported using Chris1111's USB Clover Adapter
3. [Optional but recommended?] Turn off auto-updates in System Preferences
4. Login to App Store (which should work fine if you were where I was at)
5. Login to iCloud
6. Check your interface list with Hackintool or similar as directed by @jaymonkey
7. Properly install RehabMan's Null Ethernet Kext
8. Ensure you have kext injection on with Clover, then reboot.
9. After logging in, have a reminder go off, and then select "Later" to be reminded some other time.
10. iMessage miraculously logs itself in after getting the message "Could not be authenticated" and similar
11. Profit.

Great thanks to @jaymonkey for the help in solving this, I'm not even close to experienced with OSX quite yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back