Contribute
Register

iMac G5 / Polycarbonate Intel Hackintosh (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Macbook Air
CPU
Intel Core i5 (Dual Core, 1.4GHz)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 5000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I really like the design of the iMac G5 - 2006. Well, because they are kind of "slow" for today's standards, I have thought of buying a non-working iMac G5, gutting it out, and then putting modern components in it.

So I was thinking of the 17" and the 20" (white polycarbonate). I thought of putting an Intel NUC inside it, with an external GPU. I'm not quite sure if one will fit. (That is my question, lol), would one fit in a 17"? If not, then I'm happy to do it in a 20". I was thinking of the nVidia GT 750 (used in the current 21.5" iMacs) or the 650M, or even an AMD HD 6770 (I'm not really sure though).

Would anyone be able to tell me, if this would work out? Or if not, what graphics cards should/could I use?

(If this post is in the wrong place, please let me know!)
clear.png

Thanks, Alex.

Hi all,

I really like the design of the iMac G5 - 2006. Well, because they are kind of "slow" for today's standards, I have thought of buying a non-working iMac G5, gutting it out, and then putting modern components in it.

So I was thinking of the 17" and the 20" (white polycarbonate). I thought of putting an Intel NUC inside it, with an external GPU. I'm not quite sure if one will fit. (That is my question, lol), would one fit in a 17"? If not, then I'm happy to do it in a 20". I was thinking of the nVidia GT 750 (used in the current 21.5" iMacs) or the 650M, or even an AMD HD 6770 (I'm not really sure though).

Would anyone be able to tell me, if this would work out? Or if not, what graphics cards should/could I use?

(If this post is in the wrong place, please let me know!)
clear.png

Thanks, Alex.
It is possible - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/ for different models of iMac modded to run on PC parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back