Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm starting the process of researching for my build (I'm actually building it for my father who does some serious video editing). I've built PC's before and am familiar with the hardware assembly. I've been doing some research for a week or so now on building a computer that will dual boot Windows 7 and OS X. I know you have to be particular on what parts you buy so they are compatible with OS X.

My father really wants the i7 980x. I've seen a couple threads around the web where it looks like people have been trying to build a system with this, not sure if I've actually seen a confirmed working build though. Either way, I'm hoping/counting on that working. For the motherboard I'm looking at the Gigabyte X58 UD5 and UD7. (Seems like there's more support for Gigabyte boards, but the Asus P6X58D is intriguing also, and I've seen 1 person who's used that).

For the Video card it looks like there's no support yet for the ATI Radeon 5xxx series cards. But I'm hoping there will be soon, he'd like to get a 5970. If that ends up being the only thing holding us back, I'll get a 4890/4870 in the meantime.

It seems for the other parts I don't need to be as concerned about compatibility. I'm going to have an SSD boot drive. How big should I go if I want to have Windows 7 and Snow Leopard installed on it? (Is there any issue with having both OS's installed on the same drive?) Then I'm just going to put in some WD 2 TB Caviar Greens for storage, get an Enermax PSU and 12 GB of RAM (Corsair/Crucial/G.Skill seem to be popular Hackintosh brands).

One thing I haven't been able to find is a CPU Cooler for that processor. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks for all the help, I'll probably be around with some more questions in the coming weeks.

I am also looking for DSDT for ex58-UD5 with i7-980x

r.

Well if you find anything let me know. I'm actually just waiting for now since there is still no support for the new ATI 5xxx video cards which I want to put in also. Hopefully in June I'll know some more on if I can proceed with my build or start thinking about changing a few specs.

There is a local underground Hackintosh builder who quoted the following:

-Intel Core i7 980X CPU @ 4Ghz (12 Threads)
-USB 3.0/SATA 3.0
-2 Firewire ports
-HD Sound
-GTX 260 1GB DDR3 Card + PhysX built-in processor
-12GB RAM
-1TB 7200RPM HD with 64MB Cache
-750 Watt PSU
-Liquid Cooled (this is only option available if you want 4Ghz Clock) otherwise we would use a premium heatsink for stock speeds
-Premium Case+PSU

Not sure what MB they based it on, but they built it...Their more basic builds looked to be gigabyte board based, not sure on this one...

My next build will probably be Sandy Bridge B2 (Tony, you gonna support that?) :lolno:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

Whole new socket 2011 Q3!

cakemonster said:
There is a local underground Hackintosh builder who quoted the following:

-Intel Core i7 980X CPU @ 4Ghz (12 Threads)
-USB 3.0/SATA 3.0
-2 Firewire ports
-HD Sound
-GTX 260 1GB DDR3 Card + PhysX built-in processor
-12GB RAM
-1TB 7200RPM HD with 64MB Cache
-750 Watt PSU
-Liquid Cooled (this is only option available if you want 4Ghz Clock) otherwise we would use a premium heatsink for stock speeds
-Premium Case+PSU

Can I get a link to where you found the information above? I still haven't found anyone else who has done it yet.

Thanks.

rabbit.

Not sure what MB they based it on, but they built it...Their more basic builds looked to be gigabyte board based, not sure on this one...

My next build will probably be Sandy Bridge B2 (Tony, you gonna support that?) :lolno:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

Whole new socket 2011 Q3!

I didn't see anything in those posts suggesting they have an i7-980x running.

Still looking for i7-980x DSDT and boot

r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back