Contribute
Register

i7 860 Over-clocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lectrcman, you're lucky! I'm running my i7 860 at 3.36GHz to get a 9500 Geekbench score.

Can anybody else please provide some numbers for comparison. Is there something wrong with my machine?

IceBear said:
Lectrcman, you're lucky! I'm running my i7 860 at 3.36GHz to get a 9500 Geekbench score.

Can anybody else please provide some numbers for comparison. Is there something wrong with my machine?

Hi,

I just ran Geekbench 64 and got 9662. I am not over clocking, but I did change the BIOS so that my RAM could run at 1600 MHz instead of the default 1333 MHz.

I am using the DSDT for the GA-P55M-UD2 with SpeedStep enabled and have also set Turbo Boost and SpeedStep to "On" instead of "Auto" in the BIOS. I was getting the same GeekBench 64 previously using the non Speedstep modified DSDT.

I am booting in the 64 kernel and using MacPro4,1 smbios.plist.

Hope that helps,

Bruno

I have my i7 GA-P55A-UD4P OC'd to 3.6 with 4GB Corsair 1600 8,8,8,21.
BFG OC'd GTS250.

4447568893_2f44696e92_o_d.png

I just ran Geekbench (64-bit) and got 9665. I don't have anything OCed. RAM at 1333 and CPU at 2.8. IceBear, make sure you are running latest BIOS F8. You must have something set incorrectly in BIOS.

I'm on a UD4 motherboard so I'm running F9 BIOS. definitely seems strange that my results are so much lower...

What is the impact of the MacPro smbios?? I'm running the iMac11,1 smbios.

some folks are giving GB64 scores I think Icebear is running GB32?

There is one other possibility: A back ground task. Please use either iStat or Activity monitor to see if your CPU load is zero before running GB64.
Very often MDS will show up unexpectedly on a new system build and your score is in the same range as running GB64 with MDS sucking up resources.

Guys I am running GB32 but that shouldn't be making a 2500+ difference to the score should it??

I can't think of any BIOS settings that would affect performance this much? I have Turbo enabled, SpeedStep enabled... Likewise I can't imagine a different motherboard would achieve such a difference from the same CPU.

Help me get to 9500 running standard settings.... please :?

MitchM said:
There is one other possibility: A back ground task. Please use either iStat or Activity monitor to see if your CPU load is zero before running GB64.
Very often MDS will show up unexpectedly on a new system build and your score is in the same range as running GB64 with MDS sucking up resources.

Good thought. mdworker is sitting on 0% cpu. I can't see any other significant drain on resources when I run the test.

IB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back