Contribute
Register

HP ProBook 4x30s (4330, 4430, 4530, 4730) patches -- Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update here. From here on out, I'm going to suggest that everyone use "DSDT Editor" to apply the patches. You can still apply the patches all at once using the method of combining all the patches into one as the wiki suggests, but it is not worth it to try and use Auto Patcher, unless you already have it working.

Given the new installer, I've been experimenting with a clean install and attempting to make the "Auto Patcher" work. But Apple and Oracle have made a complete mess out of Java. There is a Java 7 on java.com, but installing it doesn't update the java binaries in /usr/bin. And there are two separate Java settings apps, one for Java 6, and one for Java 7, and it seems they don't talk to each other. In the end, you have a bunch of random binaries all over the system (some in /usr/bin, some in /Library/Internet Plugins..., and who knows where else). Java on Mac OS is a mess. I don't like Java... never did.

At this point I have two systems working correctly with the Auto Patcher: my desktop hack, and my ProBook hack. But I remember having a lot of trouble getting the desktop one to work, with random attempts at uninstalling Java, re-installing it, updating it, etc. It works now, but I have no idea how I arrived at a Java system that is compatible with the Auto Patcher -- and that was just a few days ago. My attempts at making Auto Patcher work in a clean install of Lion 10.7.5 were unsuccessful, yet "DSDT Editor" worked just fine.

I will update the wiki for these recommendations...

RM Mentor,
I already have my patched dsdt from almost 2 months. I saw that you have updated same patches almost 20 days ago.
What I have to do to update my dsdt with yours new patches versions? better to use my raw dsdt and patch it or I modify my patched one?
One last question, actually I have the F20 bios, if I update it to the F29 version, which are the benefits? and of course I have to re-patch the dsdt, right?
Thanks!

RM Mentor,
I already have my patched dsdt from almost 2 months. I saw that you have updated same patches almost 20 days ago.

I made some minor changes to the fan control. Longer timeout for turning the fan off (this makes fan off cycles longer). And I made the default 50C threshold for fan turning on. At least that is what I remember. There is some other recent changes to the patches to make it work with a new patcher (not yet released), but those changes are not material.

What I have to do to update my dsdt with yours new patches versions? better to use my raw dsdt and patch it or I modify my patched one?

Yes, better to start with raw and patch fresh. If you know what you're doing and how to check for valid results, there are cases where you can apply an updated patch to an existing already patched DSDT, but...

One last question, actually I have the F20 bios, if I update it to the F29 version, which are the benefits? and of course I have to re-patch the dsdt, right?
Thanks!

No 'benefits' that I can see, other than "using latest BIOS." And yes, you would have to re-patch.

I made some minor changes to the fan control. Longer timeout for turning the fan off (this makes fan off cycles longer). And I made the default 50C threshold for fan turning on. At least that is what I remember. There is some other recent changes to the patches to make it work with a new patcher (not yet released), but those changes are not material.

Yes, better to start with raw and patch fresh. If you know what you're doing and how to check for valid results, there are cases where you can apply an updated patch to an existing already patched DSDT, but...

No 'benefits' that I can see, other than "using latest BIOS." And yes, you would have to re-patch.

Thank you!
So, this is what I'm going to do:

1: download the latest bios version (F29)
2 :format my hard disk to install windows 7 (to apply the bios update)
3: run ubuntu 12.10 from an USB to extract my new raw dsdt
4: download yours new patches versions
5: format and install mountain lion 10.8.2 on my hard disk
6: follow the new instructions (can you provide me the update link, please?) to patch my dsdt
7: copy the patched dsdt in the extra folder

This is the right way to do it, isn't it?
Thanks!

Thank you!
So, this is what I'm going to do:

1: download the latest bios version (F29)
2 :format my hard disk to install windows 7 (to apply the bios update)

There is a way to update the BIOS without having to install Windows. Involves creating a USB stick with the BIOS update on it. See HP website on BIOS updates for more info.

3: run ubuntu 12.10 from an USB to extract my new raw dsdt
4: download yours new patches versions
5: format and install mountain lion 10.8.2 on my hard disk
6: follow the new instructions (can you provide me the update link, please?) to patch my dsdt
7: copy the patched dsdt in the extra folder

This is the right way to do it, isn't it?
Thanks!

Other than having to re-install OS X, yes. If you do the alternate way to update BIOS (without Windows), then you don't hvae to re-install.

There are no "new instructions" as I haven't written them, and don't plan to do so until the new software is ready (not under my control). So, just follow the current instructions. They work.

I faced with FPED problem while compiling my dsdt from scratch. I've extracted dsdt via Ubuntu live usb, that use DSDTEditor for Windows to decompile and verify my dsdt, but got 201 errors. I saw a lot suggestions to remove
Code:
                If (CondRefOf (FPED))
                {
                    FPED ()
                }
But I don't know am I right removing this staff. And this expression is not into GFX0 device definition, it's at the beginning of dsdt.
I look into 4 SSDT's gathered from Linux too, but can't find FPED there. But I saw a lot of information in SSDT's - does this info useful for us or not? why we not include this into dsdt? Please explain?
I've looked into 4530s dsdt from Installer and can't find FPED anywhere. So do I need simply remove all info about FPED or need to do more investigating this staff?

Thank you!
I have the same config and BIOS as yours. I removed that FPED thing. Without removing it I have 200 errors too.

There is a way to update the BIOS without having to install Windows. Involves creating a USB stick with the BIOS update on it. See HP website on BIOS updates for more info.

Other than having to re-install OS X, yes. If you do the alternate way to update BIOS (without Windows), then you don't hvae to re-install.

There are no "new instructions" as I haven't written them, and don't plan to do so until the new software is ready (not under my control). So, just follow the current instructions. They work.

Thanks RM!
I'm following the instructions and is written that to create an all in one patch we have to run commands in the terminal, but in the zip file that we download from github, there are already the 4 all.txt files, no?
What the fan experimental do exactly? Is different from the fan patch?
Thanks!

Regarding this code that causes a lot of errors for many of us:

Code:
If (CondRefOf (FPED))
{
  FPED ()
}

I think it's a better idea to move that code into Method INI inside GFX0 rather than commenting it out (at least this is what a guy said to me on Madl0n's forum).

like this:

Code:
Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)  // _INI: Initialize
{
    Store (0x01, INIM)
    DKET ()
    Store (\_SB.SBRC (), Local0)
    Or (Local0, 0x80000000, \_SB.PCI0.GFX0.BCLP)
    Store (0x00, WDSA)
    Store (0x00, WDST)
    Store (0x00, WDGN)
		If (CondRefOf (FPED))
    {
       FPED ()
    }
}

What do you think? please share your ideas.

Regarding this code that causes a lot of errors for many of us:

Code:
If (CondRefOf (FPED))
{
  FPED ()
}

I think it's a better idea to move that code into Method INI inside GFX0 rather than commenting it out (at least this is what a guy said to me on Madl0n's forum).

like this:

Code:
Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)  // _INI: Initialize
{
    Store (0x01, INIM)
    DKET ()
    Store (\_SB.SBRC (), Local0)
    Or (Local0, 0x80000000, \_SB.PCI0.GFX0.BCLP)
    Store (0x00, WDSA)
    Store (0x00, WDST)
    Store (0x00, WDGN)
		If (CondRefOf (FPED))
    {
       FPED ()
    }
}

What do you think? please share your ideas.

The current patches just remove it. Let us know how moving it goes. I'm not sure how we would know for sure what was intended...

Thanks RM!
I'm following the instructions and is written that to create an all in one patch we have to run commands in the terminal, but in the zip file that we download from github, there are already the 4 all.txt files, no?
What the fan experimental do exactly? Is different from the fan patch?
Thanks!

There are two fan patches. The original (mac4mat I think), and the one I wrote. 'exp' is my solution (it was 'experimental' when I wrote it, thus the name). And, yes, the all*.txt files are there ready to use. This is mentioned in the wiki: "Note: As of now, I have added these files as part of the repository. So, only if you are making modifications to the component files must you run the commands to 'make' these files."

There are two fan patches. The original (mac4mat I think), and the one I wrote. 'exp' is my solution (it was 'experimental' when I wrote it, thus the name). And, yes, the all*.txt files are there ready to use.

Perfect RM M! So I will use your solution (that is not experimental (beta?) anymore, right?).
I have to use the all_exp.txt to have only your fan solution and all the other "normal" patches (I don't have an 1080 screen), correct?

This is mentioned in the wiki: "Note: As of now, I have added these files as part of the repository. So, only if you are making modifications to the component files must you run the commands to 'make' these files."

Sorry, I have read that part of the wiki after I wrote the post!

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back