Contribute
Register

HP Folio 13 Guide! UNIBEAST + parts of MultiBeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi RehabMan,

Any thoughts on my previous post regarding restart after coming back from sleep and missing DSDT patches advice?

BTW patching AppleHDA is a nightmare, I'm following the guides but the pinconfig and that stuff is so confusing....

Thank you!

Of course you have a patch for that too! Man I'm learning every minute thanks for your help.

Done. I patched the DSDT with: IRQ + USB6 + TNOT.

Now the laptop goes to sleep and doesn't wake up by itself anymore, I need to press the power button or a keyboard key. :thumbup:
What is still weird is that when coming back from sleep, the laptop is just booting from scratch. I must say that I'm still using OS X from an external USB HDD, maybe this has something to do with that behaviour?
And another question, do you think I may need any other SDST patches like:

• HPET (to solve the restart after coming back from sleep?)
  • Brightness (I don't have the brightness slider in Display prefs)
  • RTC

Now I will continue with the battery patch and share it as soon as it's working.

You probably need (more) DSDT patches. Likely candidates from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
"Fix PNOT/PPNT"
"Add IMEI"

---

HD3000/HD4000 Brightness Fix:
DSDT Patches from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Apply:
"Rename GFX0 to IGPU"
"Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"
- rename patch must be done first and to all DSDT/SSDT that contain references to GFX0 that you're including in your final SSDT set
- Brightness patch must be done to the DSDT or SSDT that contains the definition for Device GFX0 (search for 'Device (GFX0)'
- Place DSDT and SSDT (if necessary) into a place where the bootloader will load them. For Clover, EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (DSDT.aml, SSDT-x.aml where 'x' is a number). For Chameleon, /Extra/ssdt.aml, /Exra/ssdt-1.aml, /Extra/ssdt-2.aml, etc.

Install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

You probably need (more) DSDT patches. Likely candidates from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
"Fix PNOT/PPNT"
"Add IMEI"

---

Is there any risk/harm to install them all?
Anyway to tell which on is realle needed or is just hit and miss?

For example:
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel": I checked the patch but in my DSDT all the values are already zero (only diff my DSDT is hex zero, the patch dec zero). Should I still apply it?

HD3000/HD4000 Brightness Fix:
DSDT Patches from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Apply:
"Rename GFX0 to IGPU"
"Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"
- rename patch must be done first and to all DSDT/SSDT that contain references to GFX0 that you're including in your final SSDT set
- Brightness patch must be done to the DSDT or SSDT that contains the definition for Device GFX0 (search for 'Device (GFX0)'
- Place DSDT and SSDT (if necessary) into a place where the bootloader will load them. For Clover, EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (DSDT.aml, SSDT-x.aml where 'x' is a number). For Chameleon, /Extra/ssdt.aml, /Exra/ssdt-1.aml, /Extra/ssdt-2.aml, etc.

Install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

Awesome, brightness fixed too!! Is it possible to make the brightness keyboard keys work (fn+f2 or fn+f3)?

Is there any risk/harm to install them all?
Anyway to tell which on is realle needed or is just hit and miss?

Probably no harm to patch with all.

For example:
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel": I checked the patch but in my DSDT all the values are already zero (only diff my DSDT is hex zero, the patch dec zero). Should I still apply it?

No need to apply in that case (no material change would be made), although no harm in applying it either (as it has no effectd).

Awesome, brightness fixed too!! Is it possible to make the brightness keyboard keys work (fn+f2 or fn+f3)?

Which ps2 drivers are you using?

If you have Synaptics trackpad and are using mine here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

As far as getting brightness buttons working, first use the debug VoodooPS2Controller to see if they generate PS2 codes or not (probably not). Monitor system.log with Console.app while you press each key. If they generate a ps2 code, see custom keyboard mapping via Info.plist: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Use-Custom-Keyboard-Mapping

If no ps2 codes in system.log, then they are likely handled via ACPI. See here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Debug, install the kext, apply "Add DSDT Debug Methods" and "Instrument EC Queries". Look in system.log as you press the key to determine which _Qxx methods handle the keys.

Then patch DSDT:

Assuming _Q10 is brightness down, and _Q11 is up.
Code:
into method label _Q10 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0205)\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0285)\n
end;
into method label _Q11 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0206)\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0286)\n
end;

Probably no harm to patch with all.

No need to apply in that case (no material change would be made), although no harm in applying it either (as it has no effectd).

Which ps2 drivers are you using?

If you have Synaptics trackpad and are using mine here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

As far as getting brightness buttons working, first use the debug VoodooPS2Controller to see if they generate PS2 codes or not (probably not). Monitor system.log with Console.app while you press each key. If they generate a ps2 code, see custom keyboard mapping via Info.plist: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Use-Custom-Keyboard-Mapping

If no ps2 codes in system.log, then they are likely handled via ACPI. See here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Debug, install the kext, apply "Add DSDT Debug Methods" and "Instrument EC Queries". Look in system.log as you press the key to determine which _Qxx methods handle the keys.

Then patch DSDT:

Assuming _Q10 is brightness down, and _Q11 is up.
Code:
into method label _Q10 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0205)\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0285)\n
end;
into method label _Q11 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0206)\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0286)\n
end;

So you did it again man! :clap:

_Q11 + _Q12 made the trick. Brightness keys working.
I also replaced the Multibeast PS2 kexts with yours.

The only things I still need to fix are:

audio: I reached the point where I need to patch layout and platform files, but I'm really lost, I will need more time to read and try to understand which values are needed. Your explanations and guides are always very clear. Don't you have by chance any guide that you made in the past that I can use to understand how to patch AppleHDA?

sleep: still need to add the missing patches to DSDT but I'm confident that it will work since you've been always right so far :clap:

wifi: not too much to do here since Intel Centrino will never work and the only way to fix it is replacing the wifi card or using a USB dongle. I prefer the first option but the thing is that our friends at HP seems to be using a whitelist and only 3 models will work OOB in my laptop. Sadly, none of them are supported in OS X. I guess my only option is to somehow patch the BIOS to remove this whitelist or surrender and go for the USB option.

Thanks a lot for your help and patience!!

So you did it again man! :clap:

_Q11 + _Q12 made the trick. Brightness keys working.
I also replaced the Multibeast PS2 kexts with yours.

The only things I still need to fix are:

audio: I reached the point where I need to patch layout and platform files, but I'm really lost, I will need more time to read and try to understand which values are needed. Your explanations and guides are always very clear. Don't you have by chance any guide that you made in the past that I can use to understand how to patch AppleHDA?

You might find an already patched AppleHDA for your codec. Many HPs use IDT and many IDT codecs already have been patched (eg. Platform/layout/pin configs readily available).

sleep: still need to add the missing patches to DSDT but I'm confident that it will work since you've been always right so far :clap:

Sleep can be complex as there are many moving parts...

wifi: not too much to do here since Intel Centrino will never work and the only way to fix it is replacing the wifi card or using a USB dongle. I prefer the first option but the thing is that our friends at HP seems to be using a whitelist and only 3 models will work OOB in my laptop. Sadly, none of them are supported in OS X. I guess my only option is to somehow patch the BIOS to remove this whitelist or surrender and go for the USB option.

What models are in the whitelist? If AR9485 is one of the possibilities, you might be able to re-brand an AR9280 as HP AR9485. See this rebrand guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/115110-rebranding-atheros-928x-cards-guide.html

Most HP BIOSes are RSA encrypted which precludes patching them (maybe there is a way by flashing the chip with a hardware programmer).

You might find an already patched AppleHDA for your codec. Many HPs use IDT and many IDT codecs already have been patched (eg. Platform/layout/pin configs readily available).

Sleep can be complex as there are many moving parts...

What models are in the whitelist? If AR9485 is one of the possibilities, you might be able to re-brand an AR9280 as HP AR9485. See this rebrand guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/115110-rebranding-atheros-928x-cards-guide.html

Most HP BIOSes are RSA encrypted which precludes patching them (maybe there is a way by flashing the chip with a hardware programmer).

As you said I found an already patched AppleHDA kext that works perfectly!!!! (also patched DSDT with layout12) :headbang:

Sleep almost worked. The laptop went to sleep, then I woke it up and I got the login screen. Until that point everything worked perfectly. The problem is that when I tried to login I got the "wheel" icon and that was it, it kept spinning for a few minutes until I gave up and rebooted the machine. I must say that I'm still using OS X from a USB3 external HDD, so maybe that's the problem. The HDD wasn't ready when the laptop came back from sleep.

Wifi: the whitelisted models apart from the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 are Atheros 9485GN and Broadcom 4313GN. So I will try to buy the one that gets better support in OS X and replace the Intel Centrino.

One thing I forgot, but I will research tomorrow is the card reader (Realtek RTS5209). Do you know if it will work?

So to summarize, everything is working ok so far, except for wifi (expected), sleep (almost working) and card reader (minor problem to be honest).

Again I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help, time and patience. T H A N K S

Sleep almost worked. The laptop went to sleep, then I woke it up and I got the login screen. Until that point everything worked perfectly. The problem is that when I tried to login I got the "wheel" icon and that was it, it kept spinning for a few minutes until I gave up and rebooted the machine. I must say that I'm still using OS X from a USB3 external HDD, so maybe that's the problem. The HDD wasn't ready when the laptop came back from sleep.

USB devices have a tendency to eject on a sleep/wake transition. Bad idea for the system volume...

Wifi: the whitelisted models apart from the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 are Atheros 9485GN and Broadcom 4313GN. So I will try to buy the one that gets better support in OS X and replace the Intel Centrino.

You can probably rebrand one of the compatible Atheros models as HP 9485GN. It will pass the whitelist, then it is just a matter of forcing Windows drivers to load, and DSDT patch to remap it to its true device for OS X.

One thing I forgot, but I will research tomorrow is the card reader (Realtek RTS5209). Do you know if it will work?

Probably not, but to be honest I haven't focused much on the card readers since they are rarely necessary.

USB devices have a tendency to eject on a sleep/wake transition. Bad idea for the system volume...

You can probably rebrand one of the compatible Atheros models as HP 9485GN. It will pass the whitelist, then it is just a matter of forcing Windows drivers to load, and DSDT patch to remap it to its true device for OS X.

Probably not, but to be honest I haven't focused much on the card readers since they are rarely necessary.

I will check on the Atheros 9280 + rebranding option. Do you know if the rebranding will break wifi on Linux? So Far Fedora is my main OS so whatever I modify must not break it (that's one of the reasons I didn't install OS X on the SSD yet, until it worth it -most of the things working ok-).

Another question: have you ever installed OSX in a MBR logical partition + triple boot (Fedora+OSX+Win81).

I'm planning to install (if possible) OSX in a logical partition, along with the OSX bootloader and then use GRUB2 to manage the boot process. In case of booting OSX, I will make GRUB nadover the boot process to the bootloader on the OSX partition.

Any thoughts?

I will check on the Atheros 9280 + rebranding option. Do you know if the rebranding will break wifi on Linux? So Far Fedora is my main OS so whatever I modify must not break it (that's one of the reasons I didn't install OS X on the SSD yet, until it worth it -most of the things working ok-).

Not really a Linux user. You may have to create a custom driver.

Another question: have you ever installed OSX in a MBR logical partition + triple boot (Fedora+OSX+Win81).

I have done triple boot, but not as you describe. See my blog, link in signature.

I'm planning to install (if possible) OSX in a logical partition,

Chimera/Chameleon does not support logical partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back