Contribute
Register

HP 4530s Wifi Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
i´ll try, thanks!

works perfectly!
do you know one that works for the 6460b as well? the bios blocks the atheros card that works fine in the 4530s for some reason..

There are some "weird" issues with the control of wifi cards in my 4540s machine. If, for instance, I boot into Linux and turn off wifi, when I then boot back into Mac osx the wifi is still detected BUT it is impossible to get it to work. If I then boot back into Linux and re-enable the wifi it works fine when I boot back into Mac osx.
Also, I bought a card from a seller in the USA, this seemed to work fine and found all the networks in my area EXCEPT mine! It seems that different areas of the world have different radio frequencies allocated to them. My system was on channel 14, the USA allocation only goes to channel 13 (I think?) so that's why it didn't work. I booted into Linux and changed the network location info to Europe and the card then found my network OK. Once set the region info stays fixed so it worked fine with Mac osx and Windows 7.
So, what I'm saying here is, there may be other reasons why your card (which is supposed to work in Mac osx) might not be functioning.

Pete

I booted into Linux and changed the network location info to Europe and the card then found my network OK. Once set the region info stays fixed so it worked fine with Mac osx and Windows 7.

Pete
More details, please. Is it specific to Atheros cards?

Sorry, I meant linux procedure. What changes and tools are needed?

You need to get a distro based on Mandriva, such as Mageia, PCLinuxOS and make a live CD or USB stick (I'm sure you could do it with Ubuntu types but I don't know how) and boot up with that. Click on and open the network manager, select wireless connections and go to the advanced settings. There's a drop down menu for your geographic location there. Change location, problem gone! I'm working from memory here in case you didn't guess :D

Pete

Edit, found a Mageia disk, here's a photo. You can see its set for US which means it only see's 11 channels, changing it to GB (Great Britain) opens up the other channels for my country.

CAM00021.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back