Contribute
Register

How to troubleshoot Clover 5126 Boot Manager Freeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
Radeon RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

I’m working on getting ready to upgrade to Big Sur from a Mojave install that has been stable for a long time, but can’t get through the upgrade to the latest Clover.

Order of events:

Updated AppleALC, Lilu, and WhateverGreen to latest. Rebooted system. No issues.
I didn’t do anything with VirtualSMC because I’ve been using FakeSMC for years.
Used Clover Configurator to upgrade Clover to 5126. Before rebooting I updated config.plist to contain the Quirks section from the sample.plist.
Rebooted and Clover Boot Manager is working fine to move around and use the menus.
The second I pick my boot volume and hit return the boot manager freezes. It doesn’t start to boot at all.
I used the UEFI shell to replace config.plist with an old backup (after saving the new one of course). Doesn’t help.

How to troubleshoot this? Using verbose flag doesn’t help because it immediately freezes and doesn’t start to output anything.

Am I missing something obvious? Does 5126 require VirtuanSMC instead of FakeSMC and so that’s why it’s dying right away?

Trying to boot from my USB drive with older Clover gives error regarding kernel cache and using the -f option doesn’t help. I’m going to create a new USB install using wife’s laptop later and then hopefully I can boot. But I’d love to figure out the boot manager freeze without having to do that.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Oh, and my graphics card is no longer GeForce. Would need to review my Amazon orders to remember what it even is now. I don’t think the graphics card would be related, but thought I’d mention that.

Hi All,

I’m working on getting ready to upgrade to Big Sur from a Mojave install that has been stable for a long time, but can’t get through the upgrade to the latest Clover.

Order of events:

Updated AppleALC, Lilu, and WhateverGreen to latest. Rebooted system. No issues.
I didn’t do anything with VirtualSMC because I’ve been using FakeSMC for years.
Used Clover Configurator to upgrade Clover to 5126. Before rebooting I updated config.plist to contain the Quirks section from the sample.plist.
Rebooted and Clover Boot Manager is working fine to move around and use the menus.
The second I pick my boot volume and hit return the boot manager freezes. It doesn’t start to boot at all.
I used the UEFI shell to replace config.plist with an old backup (after saving the new one of course). Doesn’t help.

How to troubleshoot this? Using verbose flag doesn’t help because it immediately freezes and doesn’t start to output anything.

Am I missing something obvious? Does 5126 require VirtuanSMC instead of FakeSMC and so that’s why it’s dying right away?

Trying to boot from my USB drive with older Clover gives error regarding kernel cache and using the -f option doesn’t help. I’m going to create a new USB install using wife’s laptop later and then hopefully I can boot. But I’d love to figure out the boot manager freeze without having to do that.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Clover is a hybrid now honestly it seems like people are having a lot of issues with making it work. I would personally suggest moving to OC here is a vanilla guid and IMO it is really easy to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back