HIS 5770
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
As the title says, I want to remove my G5's PCI bracket thingy so that I can line up my mobo tray with the back of the case for figuring out where to cut. People have recommended using pliers, but I can't get the needlenoses I own between the fake mesh that surrounds it and the actual back panel mesh in order to break the weld points to tear it off. Any ideas? I hope I'm making sense. Thanks for any help.

PS: does anyone know where one could get a dead ATX PSU/mobo for super cheap? I really don't want to have to take apart my working hack, but it's hard to line stuff up without the parts at hand.

The welds are very weak and can be separated by easing a knife or sharp flat screw driver between the two sheets of metal and twisting gently. Then the pliers can take over but I still would rather use the screw driver to be safe and not bend the case.
I had the same problem not wanting to bugger up the case, once you get started and see whats going on it's easy. No problem.:thumbup:

Yeah I used a thin small screw driver to remove this, was easy to wedge it in between the two metals and then twist the screw driver near the weld points to pop the weld apart.

Just to add (for completeness) that if you truely want to get it out fully intact (to re-use for instance) there are also two rivets that hold the bottom of the bracket to the inner case. Preserving those parts means separating the inner case from the outer case as a first step - pain in the arse - and then drilling out the two rivets before breaking the welds. Time taken whole operation 1 hour.

The quick way though (if you are cutting the case but fancy keeping the slots for your collection) is to cut around it with a dremel. Cut one row of holes up from the case side (i.e. leave a row of holes intact) and the two rows of holes out around the top and sides of the PCI slots (i.e. 2 row gap). I find that gets them off and breaks the welds at the same time and leaves a clean cut at the bottom of the slots so you can still re-use them but held on three sides instead of four. Time taken whole operation 2 minutes.

Just to add (for completeness) that if you truely want to get it out fully intact (to re-use for instance) there are also two rivets that hold the bottom of the bracket to the inner case. Preserving those parts means separating the inner case from the outer case as a first step - pain in the arse - and then drilling out the two rivets before breaking the welds. Time taken whole operation 1 hour.

The quick way though (if you are cutting the case but fancy keeping the slots for your collection) is to cut around it with a dremel. Cut one row of holes up from the case side (i.e. leave a row of holes intact) and the two rows of holes out around the top and sides of the PCI slots (i.e. 2 row gap). I find that gets them off and breaks the welds at the same time and leaves a clean cut at the bottom of the slots so you can still re-use them but held on three sides instead of four. Time taken whole operation 2 minutes.

Ouch!!!
I hurt my head when I hit it.:banghead:
I forgot about the rivets, been awhile since I took one off.
I drilled mine out from the inside. As the saying goes "There's a hundred ways to do anything".
Might also add for others that need to do this.
Start at a corner and pry with the screw driver, you will hear a pop or click and the first weld is gone move up a little, quarter of an inch and repeat.:wave:

As the title says, I want to remove my G5's PCI bracket thingy so that I can line up my mobo tray with the back of the case for figuring out where to cut. People have recommended using pliers, but I can't get the needlenoses I own between the fake mesh that surrounds it and the actual back panel mesh in order to break the weld points to tear it off. Any ideas? I hope I'm making sense. Thanks for any help.

PS: does anyone know where one could get a dead ATX PSU/mobo for super cheap? I really don't want to have to take apart my working hack, but it's hard to line stuff up without the parts at hand.

look on ebay for as-is motherboards, or for parts motherboards. as easy as it is to bend pins in a 1155 mb cpu socket there should be tons of them

as for a bad psu, not sure if anyone sells those. you could try hitting up your local computer repair shop, you may even be able to get a dead mb from them too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back