Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.8.7 > 0.8.8 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Press Command+Shift+Dot to show hidden files in any folder.
I already knew the shortcut but wasn't aware that .contentVisibility file was new to OC 0.8.8

I could not find the .contentVisibility inside the BOOT folder on my boot EFI partition so I used a text editor and created a .contentVisibility file.

The reason I asked is because prior to updating to OC 0.8.8 this afternoon, I don't remember seeing the EFI boot drive on my OpenCore boot screen (Picker) and after updating to OC 0.8.8 it is there. By adding the .contentVisibility to the boot EFI partition, it's gone. And I am happy lol

Thank you.
Strange. I've done all of the above to hide the EFI in the bootpicker all to no avail. I created the .contentVisibilty file in TextEdit with the lone "Disabled" entry (I have hidden files set to "visible" by default) and it now resides with the BOOTx64.efi that was updated through OCAT but even after resetting NVRAM, the EFI partition is still showing in the bootpicker. Did everyone replace their EFI/EFI/BOOT folder, too as that is the only thing I haven't done?

Strange. I've done all of the above to hide the EFI in the bootpicker all to no avail. I created the .contentVisibilty file in TextEdit with the lone "Disabled" entry (I have hidden files set to "visible" by default) and it now resides with the BOOTx64.efi that was updated through OCAT but even after resetting NVRAM, the EFI partition is still showing in the bootpicker. Did everyone replace their EFI/EFI/BOOT folder, too as that is the only thing I haven't done?
I used the file .contentVisibilty from the opencore download which worked fine

I only replaced BOOTx64.efi without the .contentVisibilty file but my ScanPolicy was already set to hide EFI partitions... Might it be something about your ScanPolicy value or other setting?
You might try with the .contentVisibilty file inside the /OpenCore-0.8.8-RELEASE/X64/EFI/BOOT/ folder and see if it makes any difference (might be that TextEdit doesn't give the file you created the correct encoding or something...)

Last edited:
I used the file .contentVisibilty from the opencore download which worked fine
Since I use OCAT, I no longer get the download so I'll give that a try. Thanks.

I only replaced BOOTx64.efi without the .contentVisibilty file but my ScanPolicy was already set to hide EFI partitions... Might it be something about your ScanPolicy value or other setting?
You might try with the .contentVisibilty file inside the /OpenCore-0.8.8-RELEASE/X64/EFI/BOOT/ folder and see if it makes any difference (might be that TextEdit doesn't give the file you created the correct encoding or something...)
Hmmm. I'll take a look at that. Thanks.

not sure, never needed to use that
Well, that seemed to be the issue. Apparently, you can't just make a text file into a hidden system file by simply renaming it. So, I DL'ed the OC 0.8.8 Zip file, unzipped it, and copied over the .contentVisibilty file, replacing the one I created. I then rebooted and, voila! The EFI partition no longer appears in the picker. Now that that's fixed, I'm going to check my ScanPolicy to see if that is set correctly per @Nodarkthings . Thanks, @Feartech .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back