Contribute
Register

How to?: GPT boot error (way(s) to get rid off)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geithals said:
hardmantosh said:
Geithals said:
Reading from those 2nd links about the GPT utility, is there a command line in that utility that will do what diskpart does when it is ordered to clean a GPT disk , namely overwrite the Protective MBR and make it ready to install a new (bootable) GPT partition?

Its up to you to click on the links provided and other links inside those.

[ I cant answer an open question like that ] you could be wanting to do many things..
It isn't an open question, it's the question that this thread is built upon. GPT boot error and ways how to get rid of it.
It might be more convenient for some folk if they can use a command line in the Terminal to remove the protective MBR, rather than use diskpart in Windows. I have read through much of the info from the 2 links.
The closest I can get is the command line
gpt create [-f] device ...
The create command allows the user to create a new (empty) GPT.
By default, one cannot create a GPT when the device contains a
MBR, however this can be overridden with the -f option. If the
-f option is specified, an existing MBR is destroyed and any par-
titions described by the MBR are lost.

sorry dude i didnt create this thread.. i just added some useful info, for people to research more,if they had troubles and wanted other ways, that is why i said its an open question.. :thumbup:
for me to answer, because your description of your system and what you have installed
on your system is unknown to me..my intention was to help this thread with information
that some could find useful or benefit from,not to take over the threaqd..
if this thread was started by me i would help you out as much as i could.. :thumbup:

Going Bald said:
If you run disk utility and select your hard drive (not the partition), then select the erase button, then the security options button, it will open a window and let you move the slider to the right to increase the number of times it will write zero's to the HD. It destroys all formatting and gives you a totally blank hard drive. (...)

When it is done, it creates the boot sector for the hard drive, either GUID, Apple OS or MBR, whichever one you selected at the beginning and allows you to name the drive.

Wow, is it really that simple to get rid of a corrupted MBR?
Too sad Apple does not explicitly state that info, neither in the interface, nor within the help files.
Maybe I will test it with an older hd but I´m not even shure about how to confirm that the old MBR has been erased.
If it works it´s a nice solution for those who have Mac OS installed only, but it takes quite a while to securely erase a "larger" hd.

Going Bald said:
If you run disk utility and select your hard drive (not the partition), then select the erase button, then the security options button, it will open a window and let you move the slider to the right to increase the number of times it will write zero's to the HD. It destroys all formatting and gives you a totally blank hard drive. 1 pass is enough for all practical purposes and 7 passes is more than enough unless you are really paranoid about erasing data. 30 passes and I don't think any recovery system available will recover anything from the drive.

When it is done, it creates the boot sector for the hard drive, either GUID, Apple OS or MBR, whichever one you selected at the beginning and allows you to name the drive.

Note that it is impossible to do this to the drive you booted to your OS X install with. It must be a different drive.

When my disk had the GPT boot error, I did erase it in Disk Utility. I used the single pass option, which took ages for a 2tb disk, however this did not wipe the error.
For me, that means this boot error is beyond all practical purposes :) and if I was to try this method again, I would toss a coin to decide between starting with a 3 pass erase or 7 pass erase.

Say Heading said:
In the meanwhile another solution is discussed here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=38727&start=10
This is the original reference:
http://www.mymac4music.com/2011/10/boot0-error/
A very simple solution! :thumbup:
With a new WD2B EARX I got the boot O error.
Disk Utility 1 pass wipe out didn't work with cleaning the MBR

I used the method outlined in your (Say Heading's) first post, erasing the MBR with Diskpart and after an OS reinstall, the boot error was no more. All went well until I was moving the disk into another computer and decided to install Lion. The Boot error came back and would not go away. The DiskPart clean disk method did nothing this time. I tried the terminal commands as explained in those 2 links and still no joy.

I wasn't that put out by this, but nonetheless the issue bugged me somewhat.
Then I just cleaned the disk again with Disk Part, connected it to a USB port and installed that way. No problem since then.
So if the boot problem persists and you're not a whizz at terminal commands, installing to the WD 4k Disk through the USB or Firewire port is the easiest solution.

Not all WD disks are affected by this boot error.
I have another WD drive WD2002FAEX the WD Caviar Black and no boot issues at all (so far), just a normal install does the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back