Contribute
Register
That was my first assumption, but under Pref>iCloud I'm signed in with Messages checked.

Attached here is a shot of my Messages Preferences.

If you have an iPhone try setting your Message Preferences like this example

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 10.22.52.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 10.22.52.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 248
If you have an iPhone try setting your Message Preferences like this example

This is what I expect to see, but under "You can be reached at:" it shows my different apple emails (@icloud, @me and my gmail which I use as my apple ID) but it dosen't show a phone number. The drop down that determines where new messages are sent *from* also has these 3 and no phone number.

Like I said, my new iPhone is unlocked (old one was Verizon) and it's on T-Mobile Prepay but I ported my same number over and my iPhone knows it's an iPhone... Should I need to plug my phone into my hackintosh for this? I don't know how to make them acknowledge each other!

[edit] I also turned on 2 step security because I thought that might be a new thing in El Cap, but it didn't help, it only makes security notifications pop up on my phone every time I sign into anything (app store, app store on my iPad, iCloud on my iPad, etc etc. It's terrible. Google does 2 step authentication much better...)

To make sure I was signed in with my phone giving permission to use messages under preferences, I checked and it was enabled (I wasn't sure which setting was the right one, so I disabled it, a bunch went away, I re-enabled it, and got a pop-up on my computer saying +1 (xxx)xxx-xxxx (my phone number) wants to be used by iCloud and Messages, so I cheered! And said OK!

And it is now receiving texts from my wife, but when I try to respond to a text in the chat window, it gives a red ! error. If I click on the error, it says she is not registered with iMessage. Even though I just got messages from her...

I just now tried again (computer has been restarted since then) and it is trying to send as SMS but freezes 90% of the progress bar across the top.

When I try to send a message to myself it does the same thing (says I'm not registered with iMessage).

To make sure I was signed in with my phone giving permission to use messages under preferences, I checked and it was enabled (I wasn't sure which setting was the right one, so I disabled it, a bunch went away, I re-enabled it, and got a pop-up on my computer saying +1 (xxx)xxx-xxxx (my phone number) wants to be used by iCloud and Messages, so I cheered! And said OK!

And it is now receiving texts from my wife, but when I try to respond to a text in the chat window, it gives a red ! error. If I click on the error, it says she is not registered with iMessage. Even though I just got messages from her...

I just now tried again (computer has been restarted since then) and it is trying to send as SMS but freezes 90% of the progress bar across the top.

When I try to send a message to myself it does the same thing (says I'm not registered with iMessage).

Try signing out of iCloud and back in again, sometimes that little trick forces the system to correct the sync between the devices. Good luck.

Try signing out of iCloud and back in again, sometimes that little trick forces the system to correct the sync between the devices. Good luck.

WORKED!

Like magic. Thanks so much!! I'm not sure if it had anything to do with 2 step authentication or not, I tried that before asking for help, but this time it works!

Thanks again.

No worries, happy to help - Enjoy

Funny, after restarting my computer, it's back to doing something new!

It tries to send as SMS (green) and doesn't receive. When I log out, log in again, no change. When I send a message, eventually I get a red (!) and when I click, it says "Your message could not be sent. Click "try Again" to send this message." and I click again, and green SMS again.

No clue what's wrong with my setup :( When I got it working, that was the highlight of my weekend!

Hey guys,

before working through this massive first post on the thread: Is this all still valid? I was a bit confused by the posts content mostly beeing a bit older so I wonder if its still the way to go. Just curious before investing some hours in reading and getting my head around this :)

I seem to be able to login to icloud without problems and without doing anything after all of my hardware works so far. Only sending and receiving of iMessages doesn't seem to work yet. Think I need to follow the guide and generate myself some numbers as far as I could see on first look.

Back