Contribute
Register

How do I set up a non-booting RAID 0 on a Z97X-UD5H?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Classic
  3. eMac
  4. iMac
  5. Performa
  6. Plus
  7. Power Mac
  8. PowerBook
  9. Quadra
  10. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I want to set up a RAID 0 as a scratch/working disk for video editing using two WD Black 1Tb drives on the Marvell controller of my Z97X-UD5H motherboard. I'm assuming this would be better than a software raid using Apple's Disk Utility RAID setup. Instructions in Gigabyte's manual refers to a "RAID BIOS setup utility" I can't find. Can someone recommend a best practice for this and point me to either the "RAID BIOS setup utility" or the proper instructions?

Did you ever figure out anything I am looking to do the same only with an : GA-Z97X-SLI Rev 1.0, Working fine with current setup, but my data disks I would like to setup as RAID 0, post install.

I didn't get any replies so I just set up a software raid 0 with two WD Black 1Tb internal drives through Apple Disk Utility. I'm manually backing up on a 3Tb drive via Time Machine. So far it's working well enough with 230MB/s read and 220MB/s write speeds. I've noticed a significant decrease in the amount of time Final Cut Pro X takes to render, load and export. It would still be nice to find a way to do a hardware controller with even better performance.

Hi,

I was wondering if you are still running your raid in the same configuration that you mentioned, or if you figured out something better?

I was wanting to do the similar or same thing. I took the two raid drives out of my Windows 7 machine and put them into my hac. They show up as raid drives but unconnected. All of the files are readable. Ideally I would like to just link them as a mirrored raid drive and without reformatting them. I'm not sure if this is possible.

Also are you using the Marvell SATA controller? I'm not sure if I should be using this or not.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back