Contribute
Register

How compatible is the GA-Z77X-UD5H with Mountain Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i5 3570k
Graphics
Intel HD3000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hallo everyone!

i would like to know how compatible is the GA-Z77X-UD5H and my other hardware with Mountain Lion? My friend bought a new MacPro and with his help i'll prepare the UniBeast 1.5 Mountain Lion installation USB Stick. In the early Ivy Bridge CPU and motherboard recommendations guide it says that it doesnt need a DSDT, does this mean i just can install ML on a HDD via the UniBeast 1.5 guide and don't have to change anything and start using it? Because in Step 4 it says you need to use Multibeast to use a DSDT to enable boot from hard drive, and install support for Audio, Network, and Graphics. Last but not least what will i need to use Dualboot for OSX and Win7?

The PC i use for now is
i7 3770k
ASUS P8Z77-V
16GB GSkill Ripjaws
Palit Jetstream GTX 680

Thanks in advance.
Andreas

PS Sorry if my English is not perfect, I come from Germany.

You do not need any DSDT for 77 series board. Just select UserDSDT Install and other audio, ethernet options.

Dual booting you need two separate HDDs or SSDs. Install ML first, make sure it is functional, unplug SATA cable, plug in Windows HDD/SSD, install, install all updates, shutdown, plug back in ML HDD/SSD as first boot priority and Windows disk. Full functional dual boot.

Use Instant Menu kext to choose OS @ Chimera.

Yes, you can do that but it is recommended you install on separate drives. When problems arise on a partitioned drive with two OS, sometimes you can hose both partitioned OS and then you are in for a whole fix in troubleshooting. Although that is not the case frequently. Two separate drives is a lot cleaner and trouble free. For the noob a good choice, for the regular who knows there way around dual booting different OSs on one hard drive, no problemo.

Having windows and OS X on separate disk will avoid a lot of frustration.
Plus, two 128GB SSDs are usually cheaper than one 256GB SSD.
Instead of buying a 512GB SSD, I bought two 256GB SSDs.

I've tried to dual booting os x and windows before on the same drive.
It is very easy to mess up---Windows doesn't work well with GPT, while OS X doesn't work well with MBR.

Btw, the build in my signature works quite well.
Problems I have:
1. I don't use any DSDT. If the computer goes to sleep, it wakes up to a blank screen. Everything seems to wake up, but not the graphics.
2. During install, I had to pull out my GTX 560 and install with the onboard HD 4000.
3. Booting wise, I had to do PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I heard GTX 6xx has native support in ML, so your build probably will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back