Contribute
Register

Hopefully near universal USB 3.0 driver for 3rd part controllers in 10.8.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 PCIe cards, one with μPD720200 and second one μPD720200A on 2 different machines (GA-EP45-DS3R and GA-Z77X-UD5H)
I tried the PXHCDv1.0.8.kext, it is working flawless on ML 10.8.1.
http://www.osx86.net/view/2870-pxhcd.kext.html
I tested with a BlackCaviar 1TB on Akasa DuoDock S (SATA III to USB3). No problem with CCC and speed is USB3.

On GA-Z77X-UD5H there is a problem with the USB3 plugged on the internal connector close to the memory.
(also a strange behavior under Windows). On this mobo GA has "multiplied" the Intel USB3 with 2 hubs Via VL810.
Firmware update (under windows) is fixing the problem. http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp

Sadly I've tried that driver and it is not working for my 720202 card. It shows in the profile but when I connect my USB3 docking station it won't recognize it i.e nothing happens.

I have 2 PCIe cards, one with μPD720200 and second one μPD720200A on 2 different machines (GA-EP45-DS3R and GA-Z77X-UD5H)
I tried the PXHCDv1.0.8.kext, it is working flawless on ML 10.8.1.
http://www.osx86.net/view/2870-pxhcd.kext.html
I tested with a BlackCaviar 1TB on Akasa DuoDock S (SATA III to USB3). No problem with CCC and speed is USB3.

On GA-Z77X-UD5H there is a problem with the USB3 plugged on the internal connector close to the memory.
(also a strange behavior under Windows). On this mobo GA has "multiplied" the Intel USB3 with 2 hubs Via VL810.
Firmware update (under windows) is fixing the problem. http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp

You do know that the 10.8 LaCie driver is for 10.7 and not a native 10.8 driver, right?
All he appears to have done is remove the device ID check, but I can't say if he's done anything else.

You guys can get all the stuffs easily....

You mean easy access to hardware?
Well, I don't live in the US if that's what you're implying.
That said, the local computer market where I live has a six story building full of shops, plus there are a fair few more in the same area ;)

You mean easy access to hardware?
Well, I don't live in the US if that's what you're implying.
That said, the local computer market where I live has a six story building full of shops, plus there are a fair few more in the same area ;)

Where do you live? Out of Curiosity.

:ch:Soviet Russia ? ;)

I installed this driver, and when I connect a USB 3.0 drive to it, System Information tells me it supports a speed up to 480Mb/sec (same as USB 2.0). Any idea why it seems to think my drive is only USB 2.0? This is on a GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard, which if I'm not mistaken has an ASM1042 for USB 3.0. The drive is a 32GB SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure.

I don't currently have any other USB 3.0 devices to test with, though I'm getting a USB 3.0 thumb drive in a couple days.

View attachment 30687

Don't worry about that as Mac System Profiler only knows USB 2 speed i.e 480Mbps as long as it detect Super Speed you are good to go. To confirm the speed just use AJA benchmark application and do the test between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 like what I've posted.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-06 at 8.58.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-06 at 8.58.55 AM.png
    174.6 KB · Views: 373
OK. I'm running AJA benchmarks right now, I'll post the results when I'm done.

I do notice something else strange, however. When I connect the USB 3.0 drive to my USB 3.0 ports with this driver installed, my mouse stops responding well - it gets all jerky and I have a hard time moving the cursor across the screen. It makes my system near unusable. I haven't ever had this problem before with drives, etc. plugged into USB 2.0 ports.

Yup sometimes this driver does the same to my keyboard not to my mouse but very rare. When this happens, I just eject the external drive and switch off my USB3 docking bay and it switch on again.

That is wierd because thelostswede is using this driver with Etron chip and he seems does not have any problem. Your board is using the Etron EJ168 chip for USB3.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back