Contribute
Register

High Sierra - GA-x58-ud3r (Legacy Bios)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might try installing clover to a USB using the default installation - Clover gets installed to root instead of to EFI partition like Chameleon/Chimera. To do this, mount the EFI partition of your USB drive, backup your config.plist, and delete everything else in the partition. Then download the latest version from sourceforge and install with defaults to root (make sure the uefi only and install in esp boxes are not checked). Replace the config.plist with yours and try to boot.
If this works, do the same with the HS drive.

If this works should I see my Time Machine drive in the list when I boot into clover? as my Time Machine drive is formatted as GUID, Mac see the drive fine in MACOS but when I reboot the Time Machine drive is not displayed in the list currently.

Just to clarify:
1. make a usb uni beast drive like normal
2. mount EFI and copy config.plist
3. delete everything in EFI
4. install latest clover with uefi options - to root.
5. test to see if Time Machine guid appears?

Thanks again for the advice

Just to clarify:
1. make a usb uni beast drive like normal - does not even have to be a UniBeast USB, only needs to have Clover installed to root
2. mount EFI and copy config.plist - OK
3. delete everything in EFI - OK
4. install latest clover with uefi options - to root. - No, install without UEFI options - X58 boards are Legacy BIOS only, no UEFI
5. test to see if Time Machine guid appears? - OK

Just to clarify:
1. make a usb uni beast drive like normal - does not even have to be a UniBeast USB, only needs to have Clover installed to root
2. mount EFI and copy config.plist - OK
3. delete everything in EFI - OK
4. install latest clover with uefi options - to root. - No, install without UEFI options - X58 boards are Legacy BIOS only, no UEFI
5. test to see if Time Machine guid appears? - OK

Hi Going Bold

I did what you instructed above I created a usb with the clover installer and then copied my config.plist but when I boot from it, it comes up with the following error message : bootoaf:error

Please see screenshot on clover installer options below.

I tried it once with deleting everything out of the EFI Partition
and once with a fresh usb install.

USB if formatted as GUID should this be MBR aswell?

Many thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 13.40.43.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 13.40.43.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 462
Hi Going Bold

I did what you instructed above I created a usb with the clover installer and then copied my config.plist but when I boot from it, it comes up with the following error message : bootoaf:error

Please see screenshot on clover installer options below.

I tried it once with deleting everything out of the EFI Partition
and once with a fresh usb install.

USB if formatted as GUID should this be MBR aswell?

Many thanks again for the help.

Hi Going Bold
I just made a clover usb only without the uefi options enabled and did a test, the clover usb boots up fine and still only lists 2 portions my windows ntfs partition and the MacOSX MBR partition, The Time Machine guid partition is not displayed.

Hi Going Bold
I just made a clover usb only without the uefi options enabled and did a test, the clover usb boots up fine and still only lists 2 portions my windows ntfs partition and the MacOSX MBR partition, The Time Machine guid partition is not displayed.
Then I am not sure what your problem is. As you can see from the pic, my Sierra drive is GUID, Mac OS HFS+ formatted with the EFI partition in the root. It boots up just fine and Clover boot screen shows Sierra icon, Recovery icon and 2 Win7 icons - one Win7 for System Reserved boot partition and one for main C partition.
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 9.54.37 AM.png

Also, I have a SSD with High Sierra installed APFS with Clover in the EFI partition Legacy Mode booting on the same build and it also works well. In fact, once the Gigabyte BIOS has loaded it takes less than 1/4th the time to boot to desktop than HFS+ formatted platter drive. Not sure how much of that time is due to SSD vs platter and HFS+ vs APFS.
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 10.14.42 AM.png

Also, I have a SSD with High Sierra installed APFS with Clover in the EFI partition Legacy Mode booting on the same build View attachment 288752 and it also works well. In fact, once the Gigabyte BIOS has loaded it takes less than 1/4th the time to beet to desktop than HFS+ formatted platter drive. Not sure how much of that time is due to SSD vs platter and HFS+ vs APFS.

Might it be that the BIOS does not recognise the EFI partition as a valid fat32? - But clover should detect it as once booted into clover, clover should find the drive, it appears when in macOS so why not clover, is there a .efi I might be missing or need?

From what I have read Legacy clover supports HFS+ by default so its really strange.

Is Mac maybe formatting the guid in a way that is not detect by the bios or ignored by the bios?

What I find strange is that the original unibeast is created on a GUID partition that is detected and how I got Sierra installed in the first place. clover see that once booted into clover via the usb just not a HDD formatted in guid. is there another utility I could use to format a drive into guid to see if clover detects it?

Might it be that the BIOS does not recognise the EFI partition as a valid fat32? - But clover should detect it as once booted into clover, clover should find the drive, it appears when in macOS so why not clover, is there a .efi I might be missing or need?

From what I have read Legacy clover supports HFS+ by default so its really strange.

Is Mac maybe formatting the guid in a way that is not detect by the bios or ignored by the bios?
Since I do not know the steps you took installing Mac OS I cannot give you a definitive answer. What I did was to create the installer USB, boot it, open disk utility, format the drive GUID/HFS+ and install Mac OS. Once at desktop I run MultiBeast with my settings for the X58A-UD7 and install Clover Legacy Mode. MultiBeast installs Clover in the ESP (EFI System Partition) and with some versions of Mac OS it would not boot from there. I had to delete the EFI folder in the ESP and install Clover using the latest from Sourceforge and install it in root. I keep my trusty edited DSDT and config.plist stored offline for use in each new build and once copied into Clover it just seems to work well.
I did have to change to a MacPro6,1 System Definition for High Sierra, but with the Clover patch to eliminate the KP from ECC RAM check this has caused no detectable problems.

Do you have an edited DSDT for your build?

Since I do not know the steps you took installing Mac OS I cannot give you a definitive answer. What I did was to create the installer USB, boot it, open disk utility, format the drive GUID/HFS+ and install Mac OS. Once at desktop I run MultiBeast with my settings for the X58A-UD7 and install Clover Legacy Mode. MultiBeast installs Clover in the ESP (EFI System Partition) and with some versions of Mac OS it would not boot from there. I had to delete the EFI folder in the ESP and install Clover using the latest from Sourceforge and install it in root. I keep my trusty edited DSDT and config.plist stored offline for use in each new build and once copied into Clover it just seems to work well.
I did have to change to a MacPro6,1 System Definition for High Sierra, but with the Clover patch to eliminate the KP from ECC RAM check this has caused no detectable problems.

Do you have an edited DSDT for your build?

I use the DSDT from tonymac from my GA-EX58-UD3R - FK.
Current install was as follows
unibeast Sierra (Legacy)
Installed Sierra on MBR
Installed Multibeast in legacy mode
My config.plist is in EFI/Clover/ (On the MacOS installation)
DSDT I copied into the EFI/Clover/APCI/Patched.

BIOS setting are default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back