Gigabyte EX58-UD3R rev 1.6 - Sierra
CPU
Core i7 (1366)
Graphics
Nvidia
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All

Just wanted to see if anyone has a bit of advice.
I cannot seem to install high sierra on my Legacy Bios - High Sierra needs a disk formated in GUID otherwise you cannot install the OS, if i install with GUID, when I boot into clover via the usb, the disk in not displayed I can only select the external - install high sierra

Is there a way around this can high Sierra be installed without GUID on MBR?
I do not understand if GUID does not work with legacy bios why then does UNIbeast give a legacy boot option for it then?

Any advice would be appreciated

Not sure I am understanding your problem.
You created a Legacy Clover Mac OS installer and booted with the USB.
At Clover screen you should see the Install Mac OS on the USB and a drive icon for your target drive.
Selecting the Install icon takes you to the Mac Install screen and you format your drive with Disk Utility GUID/Mac HFS+ and install High Sierra on your drive.
On reboot you should see 2 install icons one from the USB and one from the HDD/SSD.

OTOH, if you allowed the HS installer to format the drive with APFS formatting instead of HFS+, then you need the apfs.efi file added to your drivers folder in Clover to make the drive show up at the boot screen.

Not sure I am understanding your problem.
You created a Legacy Clover Mac OS installer and booted with the USB.
At Clover screen you should see the Install Mac OS on the USB and a drive icon for your target drive.
Selecting the Install icon takes you to the Mac Install screen and you format your drive with Disk Utility GUID/Mac HFS+ and install High Sierra on your drive.
On reboot you should see 2 install icons one from the USB and one from the HDD/SSD.

OTOH, if you allowed the HS installer to format the drive with APFS formatting instead of HFS+, then you need the apfs.efi file added to your drivers folder in Clover to make the drive show up at the boot screen.

Hi there that make perfect sense now but how does one install the apfs.efi if you cannot boot into the Mac OS. How do I install the file from clover boot screen or terminal? Is the file included or must it be downloaded prior to installing high Sierra ?

Many thanks for the info

Hi there
So I did a bit more testing and just to see if I could boot from a guid partition on my legacy bios through clover - I just reformatted to guid partition and did a fresh install of Sierra, not high Sierra, once installed, I reboot into clover via the unibeast usb drive and the clover does not detect the Fresh install of MacOS Sierra when the drive is formatted in GUID, with MBR the drive appears in the list.

Unibeast is setup to boot via Legacy, do I need to configure or add files to the unibeast usb before I install a fresh copy of MacOS on a GUID partition on a legacy bios or is it a case that BIOS is to old to read GUID partitions?

I did read the guide on Tonymac and it does not mention any additional kext or efi files requried

Many thanks for any advice.

Hi there
So I did a bit more testing and just to see if I could boot from a guid partition on my legacy bios through clover - I just reformatted to guid partition and did a fresh install of Sierra, not high Sierra, once installed, I reboot into clover via the unibeast usb drive and the clover does not detect the Fresh install of MacOS Sierra when the drive is formatted in GUID, with MBR the drive appears in the list.

Unibeast is setup to boot via Legacy, do I need to configure or add files to the unibeast usb before I install a fresh copy of MacOS on a GUID partition on a legacy bios or is it a case that BIOS is to old to read GUID partitions?

I did read the guide on Tonymac and it does not mention any additional kext or efi files requried

Many thanks for any advice.
I have been able to install Mac OS on GUID drives from the start on my X58A-UD7. Not sure why Clover on your X58 cannot see a GUID drive. Post your config.plist from your UniBeast USB.

Hi Going Bald,

Thanks for the help, please see my config.plist from the usb.

I have been able to install Mac OS on GUID drives from the start on my X58A-UD7. Not sure why Clover on your X58 cannot see a GUID drive. Post your config.plist from your UniBeast USB.

Hi Going Bald,
Many thanks for the help, please see my config.plist file from the usb.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.7 KB · Views: 464
@Bellicus
I do not see anything in the config.plist that might be the problem.
It is possible your BIOS is not GUID capable. Have you checked for stable updates for your BIOS? I looked back through my notes from my original install of Snow Leopard and did not find anything, but I have a note that I had to update BIOS to run Lion because it required GUID partition tables. If you have a 2009 BIOS it may not support GUID hard drives.
I would update to FK and try again - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-EX58-UD3R-rev-16#support-dl

@Bellicus
I do not see anything in the config.plist that might be the problem.
It is possible your BIOS is not GUID capable. Have you checked for stable updates for your BIOS? I looked back through my notes from my original install of Snow Leopard and did not find anything, but I have a note that I had to update BIOS to run Lion because it required GUID partition tables. If you have a 2009 BIOS it may not support GUID hard drives.
I would update to FK and try again - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-EX58-UD3R-rev-16#support-dl

Hi Going Bold. My bios is already on FK. So it seems I’m probably stuck with mbr. So not high Sierra for me unless there is a work around on installing high Sierra on mbr?

Hi Going Bold. My bios is already on FK. So it seems I’m probably stuck with mbr. So not high Sierra for me unless there is a work around on installing high Sierra on mbr?
You might try installing clover to a USB using the default installation - Clover gets installed to root instead of to EFI partition like Chameleon/Chimera. To do this, mount the EFI partition of your USB drive, backup your config.plist, and delete everything else in the partition. Then download the latest version from sourceforge and install with defaults to root (make sure the uefi only and install in esp boxes are not checked). Replace the config.plist with yours and try to boot.
If this works, do the same with the HS drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back