Contribute
Register

High Sierra bootloop after changing SMBIOS from 14.2 to 16.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still the same.

the problem probably clover related, i assume, but i have no idea.
preboot.log attached
Maybe 16,2 ProductName with 14,2 BoardID. If you are using discrete graphics 14,2 is closer to your hardware anyway. Apple's USB kexts match on the hardware and then do things based on e.g. model/ProductName (e.g. inject properties, load additional drivers). Also FakeSMC still isn't installed in /Library/Extensions, which it is supposed to be when InjectKexts is a string 'Detect'.

Attachments

• config4.plist
    2.7 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Hi,
I seem to have the same problem with an i5-5675c and Intel HD6200 Iris pro graphics (thus as close as you could get to 16,2).
When trying to upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra I get a kernel panic no matter what I do booting from the install part of my system drive.

I had no problems with Sierra just like the OP.

I start believing it has to do something with 16,2 rather than the M.2 SSD I am booting from.

Any hints appreciated.
More details here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-boot-macos-x-install-on-installation.242210/

Thanks!
Rudolf

By my konwledge i have already removed all of the usb fixes, everything related to usb. I hve tried to boot with the Vega 64 with 14,2 and its okay but 16,2 its that error what i get. The config142 and config162 is the same except the difference in SMBIOS settings. With 14,2 its boot, with 16,2 its gave me the error on the picture.

I have only one kext for the lan, nothing else.

I have checked the clover too, updated to 4318, and it is still the same.
Perhaps the issue is same as with MacPro 6,1 system definition, it applies additional EDID, only possible on authentic Mac hardware.

I still have this problem.
My system is running nicely with 14,2 system definition.
I have added audio by hand, configured USB by hand, etc. got graphics acceleration to work again with whatevergreen - but as soon as I go back to 16,2 system definition, I get that panic when booting.
I can live with it - am just curious.
Cheers,
Rudolf

I still have this problem.
My system is running nicely with 14,2 system definition.
I have added audio by hand, configured USB by hand, etc. got graphics acceleration to work again with whatevergreen - but as soon as I go back to 16,2 system definition, I get that panic when booting.
I can live with it - am just curious.
Cheers,
Rudolf
After installing 10.14.3 my system spontaneously rebooted twice when running Luxmark.
Just for the heck of it, I tried using 16,2 again - and now it works. No boot loop, no kernel panic.
Apple must have changes something in that respect.

Unfortunately, Luxmark once also caused a spontaneous reboot with 16,2 system definition. So that does not make a big difference. Possibly overheating? But the processor should look after itself, shouldn't it?
LuxMark score is quite good for an IGPU...
Cheers,
Rudolf
190124_Luxmark_score.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back