ATI 6970
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys,

(A summary of this post is that I need suggestions for a replacement GPU for an ATI 6970 that both runs windows games well and will work with FCPX and CS6 in a hackintosh.)

Here is my current hardware;

ATI 6970
Z68X-UD3P-B3 Motherboard
i5-2500K
2 X G-Skill 8GB XL Ripjaws

After waiting for the 6970 to work in the OSX world for a good while I am now giving up and wanting to solve this issue by replacing it or running a 2nd card alongside it in OSX. The thing holding me back from throwing it is that it performs well in Windows and runs the games I want to play very well (battlefield 3 etc).

The serious work side of the machine is in vid editing, DVD making, Max/MSP programming and sound production. So far I have been Max/MSP programming on my laptop and had the option to use CS6 in a windows world but want to bring everything together in OSX in a smoothly running hackintosh.

I feel caught between ditching the 6970 altogether and buying a similar performance current nVidia card (would want a native running graphicsenabler=0 card) and buying a cheap budget card parallel with it which would be used in the OSX environment. At this stage I just want to get the hack machine up and running and don't want too much faffing about so am looking at the easiest option. I was looking at a 660TI but see there are issues with FCPX. I also am unsure about how much rendering acceleration various cards give either CS6 or FCPX tasks in OSX...

Could I get some opinions about which way to go please?

Hopefully I made this post clear.

Thanks in advance.

Get a GTX 570 or 580 for good gaming and awesome GPU computing power or a GTX 670 or 680 for very good gaming and good GPU computing power. All work natively.

Thanks so much for the posts. Very informative. The one thing I don't yet know is exactly how much benefit I would see in Premiere/AE from CUDA acceleration in terms of tasks such as making ultra slow motion video pieces with overlay (and colour correction). I am guessing this would benefit - but I am not 100% this is the benefit I would gain from using a GTX570/580 as I get the feeling the article is talking about 3d stuff.

I understand that FCPX uses Open CL? and CUDA is nVidia's attempt to control the market with their proprietary stuff... so FCPX is relying on CPU processing 100%? Or are the cards doing the Open CL as well?

I was a huge FCP 7 user but when Apple 'lost it' and scrapped their pro apps approach to FCP I went to Premiere and although I kind of hate the interface and workflow (I really prefer the FCP > compressor > DVD Studio Pro workflow) I have been using CS5.5 ever since. Luckily I can get either through work. I am not sure I can replace AE with an Apple app though in terms of how powerful it is at slowing material down and applying a load of alterations.

(sorry about the multiple questions -- my approach is to immerse myself in the info to make a decision then try to forget about it asap and get on with my life once I buy something ... that means I am currently playing catchup :) )

EDIT: this post seems to be the type of thing I do http://forums.adobe.com/message/4756332 and the answers point to 2d footage manipulation being CPU dependant. Am not sure about overlays and colour changing and how they relate to CUDA as yet...

To give an idea of how I am using AE at the moment I thought I would include an image. Three layers of overlay with colour alteration and ultra stretched.

However, as I said I don't know where and how much benefit CUDA would give to this current work.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2011-11-21-22h02m56s244.jpg
    vlcsnap-2011-11-21-22h02m56s244.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back