Contribute
Register

Help needed installing ML 10.8.4 with UniBeast 2.0 on GA-Z77N-WiFi with i7-3770k, 16 GB and HD4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77H-Wifi
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi.

I've been trying unsuccessfully for a while to install Mac OS X 10.8.4 onto a CustoMac Mini Deluxe as listed in the April Buyer's Guide.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/344-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-april-2013.html

It's the basic build with no video card (yet), a 120GB Corsair SSD card and a 1TB Seagate HD.

I was excited to see the release of Unibeast 2.0 yesterday, as I thought it would solve my problem, but it made no difference.

This is what I've done:

Format a generic 8GB USB card as per the Guide.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
The only difference is I named it Uni8eas2 instead of USB to remind me it's ML and UniBeast 2.
Use UniBeast 2.0 to install Mac OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion bought from the Apple App Store.
Erase and format the SSD as per the Guide.
Use the USB stick to install ML to the SSD.
Reboot to Chimera and select the new ML install to boot.

All I get is the Apple logo and a spinning progress wheel.

I left it overnight in case it was slow, but when I checked this morning, that's all I've got.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks.

I was able to successfully format a test disk using Unibeast 2.0, yesterday. Let me give my observations.

1. I ran Unibeast without clicking Legacy or Laptop, just using version 1.8 for Mountain Lion. The build took 9.2 Gb which was just as well that I was using a 32 Gb stick. The days of using 8 Gb Thumb Drives appears to be over. I verified that there was a successful build, by watching the install.log in Console.

2. I tried to overwrite a previous build and that did not work. None of the usual commands would allow a boot and I had not changed my BIOS.

3. I had removed any competing drives to avoid problems. This caused me to start getting Boot0 errors which was odd when it should have kicked me back to Chimera. This was because I had removed all the drives in front of the optical drive. My solution is to place the optical drive last, from now on.

4. I repartitioned the 1 Tb test disk and then reloaded Mountain Lion from the USB stick. It booted into system setup without problems. It demanded that I create a login.

I ran MultiBeast as usual and had no further problems. The only thing which bother me was that by not clicking any Chameleon setting, Multibeast automatically selected version 1.0.1 rather than the newer version 1.1. The next version of Multibeast should give us a choice.

try my guide its not for gigabyte but u should be able to fix on your own with this. i tried to noob proof it as much as i could. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ck-z77-pro3-bios-1-90-patched.html#post590710

Whoa! Really! All that? Patched BIOSs, 3rd party packages, other websites? That's crazy!!

I thought tonymacx86 was about simplifying this?

If Mac OS X Lion 10.8.4 can't be installed on a GA-Z77N motherboard using UniBeast and MultiBeast, why don't they just say so and remove it from the recommended build?

What's up with this?

Can anybody recommend something not quite so convoluted?

I was able to successfully format a test disk using Unibeast 2.0, yesterday. Let me give my observations.

Were you also using the GA-Z77N-WIFI motherboard?

The build took 9.2 Gb which was just as well that I was using a 32 Gb stick. The days of using 8 Gb Thumb Drives appears to be over.

I will go buy a bigger thumb drive just in case, but the UniBeast 2.0 / Mountain Lion 10.8.4 install I did only took 5.13 GB on the USB when I checked.

I tried to overwrite a previous build and that did not work.

I tried both ways: overwriting a Lion install and wiping the SSD and doing a clean ML install. Both resulted in the same thing: booting the SSD drive from Chimera on the USB results in an Apple logo and spinning progress spinner. No reaching the desktop, no opportunity to run Multibeast.

My solution is to place the optical drive last, from now on.

I don't have an optical drive. So far brutally simple: mobo, CPU, RAM, SSD, HD. No optical drive, no video card. Just a case and a power supply.

4. I repartitioned the 1 Tb test disk and then reloaded Mountain Lion from the USB stick. It booted into system setup without problems. It demanded that I create a login.

This does not match my experience.

I don't have any idea what's going on here. I've taken the mobo/CPU/ram back to the store and they tested it - the combo passed. I'm confident the hardware is good. I've installed Ubuntu on the SSD and everything ran fine. I repeat: I'm confident the hardware is good. I've followed the Guide as carefully as possible, to the letter. I'm still confident the hardware is good. I've got no idea why my install experience doesn't match that expressed in the Guide.

What can I try next?

Thanks.

I clearly am not playing on the same field as these other installs, so I would like to start from ground zero.

How do I reset the GA-Z77N-WIFI to zero state?

I've read the owner's manual that came with the mobo, and it doesn't include that info.

So does anyone know if there's a physical way to reset the mobo to an "out-of-the-box" state?

clear the cmos put jumper on pin 12 to clear it. leave it on for 30 secs then put it back on 23 for normal make sure to unplug the power cable before u do it.

I clearly am not playing on the same field as these other installs, so I would like to start from ground zero.

How do I reset the GA-Z77N-WIFI to zero state?

I've read the owner's manual that came with the mobo, and it doesn't include that info.

So does anyone know if there's a physical way to reset the mobo to an "out-of-the-box" state?

You can use the CMOS jumper switch as stehor mentions, or In BIOS just select optimised Defaults.

Ok here is an easy guide to help you install.

Ok make your BIOS settings are correct from the guide. If you have Vt-d disable it.
Boot with UniBeast. Select the name of your USB. Go to Utilities/Disk Utility and Partition your drive. Close Disk Utility,
Install on your the newly partitioned drive. Let it complete installation. restarts.
Boot with the USB again, move to the new drive you named. BUT before selecting enter type -x
This will let you complete the installation.

Now in MultiBeast see attached images

Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 15.40.43.jpgScreen Shot 2013-06-30 at 15.41.17.png.

Were you also using the GA-Z77N-WIFI motherboard?

As my sidebar and bottom quotes state, I have a Ga-Z77X-UD5H and an i7-3770. But we have many similarities.

I can't explain why my Unibeast builds are so large. I had one, supposedly, 8Gb Kingston Thumbdrive come in at 7.6 Gb after formatting, so UniBeast 1.7.0 failed.

Here is what a successful Unibeast build looks like (at least, the center portion) in Install.log in Console.

Jun 26 09:06:12 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall:
Jun 26 09:06:12 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall: UniBeast 20130620-1 Copyright tonymacx86 LLC
Jun 26 09:06:12 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall: UniBeast Phase 1 of 7 Starting
Jun 26 09:06:21 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall: UniBeast Phase 2 of 7 Starting
Jun 26 09:10:47 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall: UniBeast Phase 3 of 7 Starting
Jun 26 09:10:47 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall: UniBeast Phase 4 of 7 Starting
Jun 26 09:18:04 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall: UniBeast Phase 5 of 7 Starting
Jun 26 09:18:05 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall: UniBeast Phase 6 of 7 Starting
Jun 26 09:18:06 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall: UniBeast Phase 7 of 7 Starting
Jun 26 09:18:14 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall: Starting Install of Chimera and other required files
Jun 26 09:18:14 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: PackageKit: Executing script "./postinstall" in /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.SgCNVl/Scripts/com.tonymacx86.unibeastMacAppStore.ML-Chimera.pkg.hWkQw5
Jun 26 09:18:14 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall: Volume is /Volumes/USB D
Jun 26 09:18:14 lous-mac-pro installd[2922]: ./postinstall:

I don't have any idea what's going on here. I've taken the mobo/CPU/ram back to the store and they tested it - the combo passed. I'm confident the hardware is good. I've installed Ubuntu on the SSD and everything ran fine. I repeat: I'm confident the hardware is good. I've followed the Guide as carefully as possible, to the letter. I'm still confident the hardware is good. I've got no idea why my install experience doesn't match that expressed in the Guide.

What can I try next?

Since you are proceeding from a working system, we can ignore BIOS and MultiBeast. When in doubt, backtrack and double check. When you are out of ideas, start from the beginning. Unfortunately, that means building a new Boot stick from a freshly downloaded Mount Lion Install from the App store.

Sorry. that is all I can think of.

clear the cmos put jumper on pin 12 to clear it. leave it on for 30 secs then put it back on 23 for normal make sure to unplug the power cable before u do it.

OK. This is where my n00b status comes in.

I've messed about a lot with Macs over the years, but this is my first PC mobo. These instructions don't make sense to me.

Where do I find the CMOS and where do I find a jumper? And what do I jump pin 12 to? And how does jumping a CMOS do anything when the power cable is unplugged?

Sorry, but this really is a first for me and I don't know enough to even ask the right questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back