Graphics
EVGA 9800GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Would like some ideas on how to fix my audio. Everything has been working fine on my machine but noticed today that my audio is no longer working. I'm not exactly sure how long it's been out but can't be more than a couple of days. I only know of two changes that I've made in the past week. First I swapped out my 9800GTX+ video card with a GT620 card to reduce the fan noise and fix a small display issue, and 2nd I accepted what I thought was a minor OSX update which stated that it possible fixed a problem in some types of photo files.

In the "Sounds" menu (in system pref menu) it does not show any audio options for audio output but in the system information list (about this mac) it does show my Intel HD audio details.

Things I've tried:

1. Booted in windows and tested audio. Works fine in windows so it's shouldn't be the hardware or the speakers
2. Reloaded the original AppleHDA.kext file I used at build time using Kext Beast.
3. Swapped back to my old 9800GTX+ video card

Would appreciate any ideas. I've been running Time Machine for the past month so I could probable just reload the system back to a week ago if I can figure out how to do it.

Small update. I think this has something to do with the video card swap. I just swapped back to the GT620 card and now in the system information it shows 2 Intel HD audio devices but neither of them has any additional information (connections) like it did when the 9800GTX+ was installed. Still don't get audio using either device. Should I be deleting some files before I try the AppleHDA.kext file?

Small update. I think this has something to do with the video card swap. I just swapped back to the GT620 card and now in the system information it shows 2 Intel HD audio devices but neither of them has any additional information (connections) like it did when the 9800GTX+ was installed.
Unlikely trial and error will result in working audio. There are two ways to enable audio in OS X, 1. With DSDT and 2. Without DSDT. For each method, there is one choice that enables audio. MultiBeast audio supports both solutions. See ML: MultiBeast - No Audio/Solutions and Problem Reporting for installation, problem solving and reporting.

Thanks for the links and advice. I tried reinstalling the AppleHDA.kext file using that guide as I did during my original install with no luck. I'm not sure why it worked before, stopped working, and wouldn't work again. Something definitely got hosed up at some point. Finally I just went back and did a restore from my TimeMachine image from 3 days ago and now I'm back up with sound.

I might try to replace the graphics card again to see if that's what caused the problem now that I know I can easily recover. Only took about 30 minutes to restore which was a lot less time than I spent this morning trying to reinstall the kext file.

Hello i have the same problem
i use voodoo audio drivers in 10.8.2 with 285gtx and works perfect

when i swap the video card with gtx470 the audio stops working

anybody found a solution to it?

Please help

I haven't. After I got my sound back I tried the new video card again and had the same problem. No audio, so it's definitely something with the card messing with the audio, or audio drivers. I just went back to my old card. It's a better card but makes a lot more noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back