Contribute
Register

Head Hurts from Banging Wall. Initial Install stuck at Black Screen After Status Bar UPDATED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B360M
CPU
i3-8350K
Graphics
Nvidia GT 1030
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
View media item 191124View media item 191125View media item 191125This is my first Hackintosh. Here are the build specs
Gigabyte B360M DS3H
13-8350k
Nvidia Geforce GT 1030

High Sierra Version 13.6.02 downloads from App Store
UnitBeast 8.3.1
MultiBeast 10.4

Flashed Bios from F3 to F6. This provided more settings choices and was able to set more of the recommended settings.
Have gone over bios setting repeatedly making sure they are per recommended guide.
I read Installing first time with graphic card can result in problems so I removed Nvidia and set Initial Display Output to IGFX
Use Clover Options to to check "USB Ownership" and "USB Injection
Added Clover -nv_disable=1 flag and Clover -disablegfxfirmware flag

Have installed USB Installer stick in USB 2.0 port. Screen still goes black after getting past Apple logo and finishing status bar.
Hve tried booting in Safe Mode. Fails and goes back to Clover Startup Screen
Have selected debug kexts. Goes to black screen after status bar
Loaded Debug Kext and Verbose. Things are flying along. Stops for a while at attached screen shot (only red note during entire boot) starts again (purple and black pic is last) View media item 191124View media item 191125for a bit and then goes black (briefly displays no signal blue box) as things seem to still be loading. Let stand for 30 minutes with black screen, no love.

UPDATE: After reading more forum threads and running in verbose single user mode, I see the final install log, "Still waiting for root device", it seems I might have a problem with my installer disk. (Thank you @
P1LGRIM) SanDisk Ultra Flair 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. I'm looking around for a USB 2.0 Hub or I suppose I could buy a new 16GB USB 2.0 drive. I've tried setting USB to Legacy in BIOS and bring all the USB ports on the motherboard. Thank you for an advice.

UPDATE #2. I tried one last attempt on the other USB 2.0 port on the motherboard and managed the install. I've reached STEP 5: Post Installation with MultiBeast. When I boot to USB and then select my HS SSD drive, I get Apple Logo and status bar but then black screen. Please help, I'm sooooo close! Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I was getting stuck on the USB install step but managed by trying multiple times plugged into motherboard USB 2.0 port. I've reached STEP 5: Post Installation with MultiBeast. I boot to Clover on the USB, then select the High Sierra OS I managed to install on my SSD to finish the install, I get Apple Logo, status bar but then black screen and hang.

Gigabyte B360M DS3H Bios F6
i3-8350k
Nvidia Geforce GT 1030

High Sierra Version 13.6.02 downloaded from App Store installed on SanDisk Ultra Flair 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
UnitBeast 8.3.1
MultiBeast 10.4

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction my head is still hurting. :)

Cstan

Last edited:
When I boot to USB and then select my HS SSD drive, I get Apple Logo and status bar but then black screen.
Boot your system in Verbose Mode and post a picture of your screen when it freezes/hangs.
At Clover Boot Screen press space bar and select Verbose (-v) and Don't reboot on panic (debug=0x100).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back