1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. SE
  3. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've updated 2 systems which use HD3000 on-chip video to Mountain Lion. While the systems are working fine, for some reason they boot up with odd "non-native" resolution choices.

For example one machine is hooked to a 1080P monitor (1920x1080). At login, it's as though the 1080p screen is "zoomed" where 3/4's of the desktop is off screen. Going into Display and toggling to 720P and back to 1080P, every thing becomes normal.

The other system has a 1280x1024 monitor hooked up. (I know, it's a leftover ;) ) It runs into a similar situation where the screen resolution appears "zoomed" at boot and toggles back into place after selecting the mode manually.

I tried to take the display settings off of "Best for display" and choose the proper mode via "Scaled" but it seems as though Mountain Lion isn't saving that preference as I'm back to "Best for display" on reboot. :s

I was able to fix the 1280x1080 system by feeding chimera "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60", however if I feed the other system it's proper mode "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32@60" it won't boot.

Anyone else seeing issues like this with the HD3000? or other cards?

I'm sure it will be sorted over time ;) Other then that things are running great.

I've updated 2 systems which use HD3000 on-chip video to Mountain Lion. While the systems are working fine, for some reason they boot up with odd "non-native" resolution choices.

For example one machine is hooked to a 1080P monitor (1920x1080). At login, it's as though the 1080p screen is "zoomed" where 3/4's of the desktop is off screen. Going into Display and toggling to 720P and back to 1080P, every thing becomes normal.

The other system has a 1280x1024 monitor hooked up. (I know, it's a leftover ;) ) It runs into a similar situation where the screen resolution appears "zoomed" at boot and toggles back into place after selecting the mode manually.

I tried to take the display settings off of "Best for display" and choose the proper mode via "Scaled" but it seems as though Mountain Lion isn't saving that preference as I'm back to "Best for display" on reboot. :s

I was able to fix the 1280x1080 system by feeding chimera "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60", however if I feed the other system it's proper mode "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32@60" it won't boot.

I'm sure it will be sorted over time ;) Other then that things are running great.

Hi, I can confirm that this is also happening to me with HD3000 graphics. The way I get around it is by turning my monitor on and off which seems to return it to its native resolution (1920 x 1080). I would be very interested to know if anyone has got a way around this.

I'm not using HD3000 but am using a GTX 260 using HDMI to my 1080p monitor. I only get the problem you describe is if overscan is unchecked in the Displays/System Preferences.

Hi, I can confirm that this is also happening to me with HD3000 graphics. The way I get around it is by turning my monitor on and off which seems to return it to its native resolution (1920 x 1080). I would be very interested to know if anyone has got a way around this.

Thanks... I like your workaround better :)

I'm not using HD3000 but am using a GTX 260 using HDMI to my 1080p monitor. I only get the problem you describe is if overscan is unchecked in the Displays/System Preferences.

Interesting. I have an Overscan slider which is currently at the off position. I tried changing it a bit and restarting, but got the same results.

I'm having the exact same issue with my HD3000 connecting via DVI.

Unfortunately turning the monitor on and off doesn't resolve it for me. I have to open the display properties and change it to scaled, change resolution, then change it back to 'Best for Display'.

The other issue is that the airplay mirroring won't work. I have the option and can choose my AppleTV, but it fails. Not sure if the two are related, but curious if you guys are seeing that also.

I'm also having this issue with HD3000 and HDMI. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 and Core i3-2105.

My temporary fix seems to be unplugging and plugging back in the HDMI cable when the computer gets booted up and is in the "1/4ths desktop" view...
It doesn't seem to matter if the monitor is on or off when I unplug and plug back in.

This isn't a great fix, but if I do it once after everything boots everything seems to work OK.

Hopefully a better fix will come along.

Moonshine's workaround works just perfectly. I added "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32@60" in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist and both my screens (DVI and HDMI) via the onboard HD3000 are spot on.

I had the same issue and Moonshine's workaround just work great. Thanks

how did you guys even get the HD3000 to work. I have a 2500K with a gigabyte Z77mx board and cannot get it to work

I used "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32@60" and was getting weird artifacts, but realized that my bios settings where wrong... Changed "On Chip Frame Buffer Size" to "480 mb+ 2mb for GTT" and all is well...

Maybe check you bios settings ? :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back