Graphics
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Slow Firewire

So I'm running into this weird issue:

I connect my external G-Tech 2TB Firewire 800 drive to my computer to do some editing and the drive mounts fine, but after about 5 seconds, none of the folder contents can be viewed. I had previously managed to launch my project and have all the video and audio assets working just fine, but now I'm getting absolutely nothing out of it. It seems to take an abnormally long time to mount and eject, and causes my general computer function to slow (I tried creating blank folders on the drive and deleting them, and it took forever for them to delete).

When I open Disk Utility, it shows that the disk is there, but it's greyed out.

Any clues as to what might be going on here?

UPDATE: It seems to mount and read well with USB 2.0 for some reason; still no luck with the Firewire.

Okay, I've run some tests and here's what I got:

USB Ports: Working 100% as expected.

Firewire Ports (400 and 800): It takes about 3 minutes to access files, during which time the disk stays greyed out in Disk Utility and displays nothing when the drive folder is opened, with a Finder lockup on occasion. Sometimes folders can be seen, but often without any contents being displayed.

I've been Googling and found that slow Firewire is an issue in some cases, although I don't yet know what categorizes those cases or what solutions currently exist.

Anyone got a solution to this problem or even just some conjectures?

Hey! I just put a similar build (3770k, z77-ud5h) and having the same issues... Did you ever solve this? What card were/are you using? PLEASE say you've figured this out- I'm going nuts trying to pull this otherwise great beast out of the mud....
thanks in advance
js

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back