Contribute
Register

Guide to make a bootable Recovery HD partition for clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
I just tried out the guide and have come to a dead end... I am currently running Yosemite 10.10.3 and the recovery partition beforehand didn't work (it restarted halfway through the apple logo boot screen... before the installer was loaded). After I followed the guide, the exact same thing happens. I have installed using Clover UEFI.
Do I have to copy the the FakeSMC.kext somewhere even though I used the Clover EFI partition? I tried copying it to ~/Desktop/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions, but that didn't help either. (I've got it in my EFI partition too...)
Initially (upon first install) I had to boot with the boot flags: dart=0 and kext-dev-mode=1 and nv_disable=1.Where should I put these?
I tried changing them back in my info.plist in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover but that also changed nothing...
Changing the kernel flags in
/Volumes/Recovery\HD /com.apple.recovery.boot/com.apple.Boot.plist gave me another error ("System uptime in nanoseconds...") which I believe has to do with permissions. The only theory I could come up with was, that the permissions of the com.apple.Boot.plist (obviously) changed after copying it to the desktop, editing it (see picture below) and copying it back. I have no clue though how to change the permissions back! Especially, since disk utility doesn't allow to "Repair Disk Permissions" on the Recovery HD (something I used earlier during my OS X install).
Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 20.13.55.png
I now somehow run out of ideas... Any Help is apreciated!

Hey,
I just tried out the guide and have come to a dead end... I am currently running Yosemite 10.10.3 and the recovery partition beforehand didn't work (it restarted halfway through the apple logo boot screen... before the installer was loaded). After I followed the guide, the exact same thing happens. I have installed using Clover UEFI.
Do I have to copy the the FakeSMC.kext somewhere even though I used the Clover EFI partition? I tried copying it to ~/Desktop/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions, but that didn't help either. (I've got it in my EFI partition too...)
Initially (upon first install) I had to boot with the boot flags: dart=0 and kext-dev-mode=1 and nv_disable=1.Where should I put these?
I tried changing them back in my info.plist in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover but that also changed nothing...
Changing the kernel flags in
/Volumes/Recovery\HD /com.apple.recovery.boot/com.apple.Boot.plist gave me another error ("System uptime in nanoseconds...") which I believe has to do with permissions. The only theory I could come up with was, that the permissions of the com.apple.Boot.plist (obviously) changed after copying it to the desktop, editing it (see picture below) and copying it back. I have no clue though how to change the permissions back! Especially, since disk utility doesn't allow to "Repair Disk Permissions" on the Recovery HD (something I used earlier during my OS X install).
View attachment 142677
I now somehow run out of ideas... Any Help is apreciated!
Hi there thanks for trying the guide the reason i put my boot flags there is because i have several OS on my machine and different ones need different boot flags the main thing i see you that you need to change with that file is all the boot flags need to be in the same string with spaces between them but if you only have one Mac OS X system installed then using the boot flags from the clover config file should work fine

Carpentryplus25...This was really helpful in Yosemite.

Then I upgraded to ElCapitan...and suddenly this doesn't work anymore (starts to drift away as soon as you try to enter debug mode in Disk Utility....it's not there any more...).

Wondering if you've had a chance to play with this? I suspect it has something to do with the rootless-ness of El Captitan, which can be turned off by the csrutil command from the terminal while in recovery mode...but...now I see the problem...

When I first installed El Capitan with unibeast, my Recovery HD would load but stop at the spinning wheel/white screen. I found this thread and followed the guide and reformatted and redid the whole recovery drive, but it is still doing the same thing. I've tried a variety of different kernel flags in my apple.boot.plist but it just either starts a kernel panic at boot or gives me the same blank screen. It's odd because the regular startup disk works just fine.

My many apologies for a delay in updating the guide for 10.11 el cap I've been very busy and haven't had time to finish my work here however I can say that so far I haven't had any luck since the el cap beta days I have messed around with it since then but not much. My main goal in this is if for so reason you don't have your recovery partition you can follow these steps to get one. When I find a working solution I will update the guide.
Carpentry

Carpentryplus25...This was really helpful in Yosemite.

Then I upgraded to ElCapitan...and suddenly this doesn't work anymore (starts to drift away as soon as you try to enter debug mode in Disk Utility....it's not there any more...).

Wondering if you've had a chance to play with this? I suspect it has something to do with the rootless-ness of El Captitan, which can be turned off by the csrutil command from the terminal while in recovery mode...but...now I see the problem...
Guide has been updated

I've tried this on ElCapitan but clover doesn't see the partition on boot. diskutil list shows that the partition was created, when i run

Code:
diskutil info /dev/disk0s10
It gives

Code:
Device Identifier:        disk0s10
Device Node:              /dev/disk0s10
Whole:                    No
Part of Whole:            disk0
Device / Media Name:      Recovery HD

Volume Name:              Not applicable (no file system)

Mounted:                  Not applicable (no file system)

File System:              None

Partition Type:           Apple_Boot
OS Can Be Installed:      No
Media Type:               Generic
Protocol:                 SATA
SMART Status:             Verified
Disk / Partition UUID:    4D5E0293-7A00-42F7-A2BE-1113093372ED

Total Size:               650.0 MB (649998336 Bytes) (exactly 1269528 512-Byte-Units)
Volume Free Space:        Not applicable (no file system)
Device Block Size:        512 Bytes

Read-Only Media:          No
Read-Only Volume:         Not applicable (no file system)

Device Location:          Internal
Removable Media:          No
and when i try to mount the partition:
Code:
diskutil mount /dev/disk0s10
I get
Code:
Volume on disk0s10 failed to mount
If the volume is damaged, try the "readOnly" option

I've tried this on ElCapitan but clover doesn't see the partition on boot. diskutil list shows that the partition was created, when i run

Code:
diskutil info /dev/disk0s10
It gives

Code:
Device Identifier:        disk0s10
Device Node:              /dev/disk0s10
Whole:                    No
Part of Whole:            disk0
Device / Media Name:      Recovery HD

Volume Name:              Not applicable (no file system)

Mounted:                  Not applicable (no file system)

File System:              None

Partition Type:           Apple_Boot
OS Can Be Installed:      No
Media Type:               Generic
Protocol:                 SATA
SMART Status:             Verified
Disk / Partition UUID:    4D5E0293-7A00-42F7-A2BE-1113093372ED

Total Size:               650.0 MB (649998336 Bytes) (exactly 1269528 512-Byte-Units)
Volume Free Space:        Not applicable (no file system)
Device Block Size:        512 Bytes

Read-Only Media:          No
Read-Only Volume:         Not applicable (no file system)

Device Location:          Internal
Removable Media:          No
and when i try to mount the partition:
Code:
diskutil mount /dev/disk0s10
I get
Code:
Volume on disk0s10 failed to mount
If the volume is damaged, try the "readOnly" option
Hi thanks for trying the guide I will attempt to assist you. How is you SIP securities setup on your system. Also did you attempt to run the terminal commands with sudo in front of them all like this
Code:
sudo diskutil mount /dev/disk0s10
Let me know if it works for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back