Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot to mention, 51 MB code shows up in Win7, Win10, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, and CentOS. All native (not VM or containers) on separate drives.

Hey everyone! I wanted to first say thank you all for providing such awesome and helpful guides. This community is amazing!

I've followed the steps here for my Z170-UD5 TH as best I could, and most everything seems to be going fine except for two things left on my TODO list:
  1. Rear audio ports are not outputting sound in OS X (I don't think my front are, either, but I'm not concerned about that for now) (EDIT: Done! I'm not sure what went wrong initially, but after reading daddee09's post here and re-running Multiboot with only ALC1150 and 100 Series selected, my read audio ports are functional! Woohoo!)
  2. Switch from the integrated Intel GFX to my GTX 970 (EDIT: Done! Dual monitors running off my GTX 970! Woohoo!)
In regards to #1, I started off this machine with a Windows 10 installation, and did install the Realtek audio drivers for the motherboard before finding this guide!

After installing, when in windows, make sure to NOT install the Realtek audio drivers for the motherboard! This will make it so your rear audio port will not output sound in OSX! (DON'T WORRY: sound will still work 100% as intended through the preinstalled windows drivers (front, rear, etc), just don't install the realtek drivers from gigabyte)

Oops! Since then, I have uninstalled the Realtek audio drivers using Windows Add/Remove Programs, disconnected my Windows 10 drive, installed OS X following the directions in this guide, reformatting the Windows 10 drive after OS X installed to mimic the steps as best as possible for my scenario.

I am now able to dual-boot using Clover, and am hoping I could get some help with getting my rear audio ports to work again. Please let me know if there is any additional information I should provide.

I'm going to brave the waters with starting #2 in the mean time. Again, thanks a ton for all of your helpful work!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I wanted to first say thank you all for providing such awesome and helpful guides. This community is amazing!

I've followed the steps here for my Z170-UD5 TH as best I could, and most everything seems to be going fine except for two things left on my TODO list:
  1. Rear audio ports are not outputting sound in OS X (I don't think my front are, either, but I'm not concerned about that for now) (EDIT: Done! I'm not sure what went wrong initially, but after reading daddee09's post here and re-running Multiboot with only ALC1150 and 100 Series selected, my read audio ports are functional! Woohoo!)
  2. Switch from the integrated Intel GFX to my GTX 970 (EDIT: Done! Dual monitors running off my GTX 970! Woohoo!)
In regards to #1, I started off this machine with a Windows 10 installation, and did install the Realtek audio drivers for the motherboard before finding this guide!

Oops! Since then, I have uninstalled the Realtek audio drivers using Windows Add/Remove Programs, disconnected my Windows 10 drive, installed OS X following the directions in this guide, reformatting the Windows 10 drive after OS X installed to mimic the steps as best as possible for my scenario.

I am now able to dual-boot using Clover, and am hoping I could get some help with getting my rear audio ports to work again. Please let me know if there is any additional information I should provide.

I'm going to brave the waters with starting #2 in the mean time. Again, thanks a ton for all of your helpful work!

I see that you have a very similar setup to mine, do you have the finder right click freeze after extended sleep? am trying to figure out what it could be causing it, have this idea that it could be the Gskill ddr4 ram :/

I see that you have a very similar setup to mine, do you have the finder right click freeze after extended sleep? am trying to figure out what it could be causing it, have this idea that it could be the Gskill ddr4 ram :/

I'm not sure what you are referring to with the "finder right click freeze after extended sleep" issue. My OS X would not wake up properly after sleeping (the screens stayed black but they keyboard, mouse, and computer case turned on), so I've disabled sleep for now.

When I wake my system from sleep, it does wake. However, unlike other OS, I do have to power on my monitor. I am not running multiple monitor scenario.

When I wake my system from sleep, it does wake. However, unlike other OS, I do have to power on my monitor. I am not running multiple monitor scenario.
Try darkwake=8

Just want to report that my Z170X last major PIA was fixed by swapping FW cards. Now it will shutdown just fine, also automatically after running my CCC backup scripts. Nice.
I don't think sleep works, but I never use sleep on workstations/desktops.
I've noticed that working in ON1 10.5 photo-editing software is kind of slow. My old 2700K rig with a AMD6870 was faster, I think.
Next step is probably a nice 48inch 2160p monitor with a proper GPU.

Try darkwake=8

Thank you for this! So sleep appears to be working in every way for me now, except for that my audio stops working after sleep. Hmm...

Just completed my build. Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700K (non OC) Intel HD530, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHZ, Noctua NH-D14 and Samsung EVO 850 500GB, One for OSX, one for windows 10. OSX running great, Windows not installed yet. CPU running all the time at 4.2Ghz, and I'm not able to generate an SSDT because the site referenced in Piker's script is down/changed and cannot pull the info. I'll try that later. I also have the shutdown bug, but everything else works. Have not tried the audio I/O as I use dedicated hardware, which is all USB and all works. Very smooth install. Thank you so much Jerivalu!
UPDATE: shutdown works completely fine. Not sure why. I haven't installed windows and maybe that is part of it, but everything works as expected (except SSDT). Also, I did not have to set up or fix iMessage, it seems logging into iCloud automatically set that up for me too.
Update2: iMessage quit working. Will have to do all the stuff.
Update3: I renamed the ssdt file from "SSDT-i7-6700K.aml" to "SSDT.aml" and now it seems to be doing something other than just being pinned at 4.2Ghz, but as you can see it's not quite expected behaviour yet.

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 11.39.24 PM.png

Update4:
This is a better link for generating an SSDT for Skylake.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/q...u-power-management.177456/page-4#post-1144126

Update 5: Also have multiple EFI entries, but I do not have windows installed, so if the belief is that the extra entries are windows related, they're not.

Last edited:
Thank you for this! So sleep appears to be working in every way for me now, except for that my audio stops working after sleep. Hmm...
For audio try this version of codeccommander I found it the only one that works the new versions don't work :/ install to S/L/E
you need darkwake=8 with it though

Well once I would enter sleep with power nap enabled for a prolonged time say overnight, then in the morning when I go anywhere in finder and right click then I have a spinning beachball until I reboot my computer :/

Attachments

• CodecCommander.kext.zip
    19 KB · Views: 117
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back