Contribute
Register

Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean ML/Lion Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean Lion Install

Dewitts said:
I have an older laptop on which the installer seems to work fine, however when I tried to install on my new HP Probook with this method I get this Kernel panic.... Any ideas?
file.php

Yes, head over to the 10.7 Laptop area, this is for desktops.

Last edited by a moderator:

davids8477 said:
Great guide.

Two simple questions.

1. I am starting another build using the hardware listed in first post - except the video card. Gordo you mention that the card you used is a bit noisy - do you have any alternate recommendations?

2. While I wait for Amazon/Newegg to deiiver I want to get prepped. Can I use Xmove on my Apple IMAC to prepare the USN Lion install drive without screwing things up - sorry if its a "duh" question, but my IMAC is my bread and butter computer and the Hacks are my toys.

Thanks again

1. Yes, you have three options here. First, the Gigabyte Tri fan 6870 works out of the box as well. The problem with this is it is 12" long and some may have trouble fitting it in their case. Second, you can purchase the XFX Dual Fan 6870 which is available on newegg for $195, a bit more expensive, but whisper quiet. Third, you can do what I did to this XFX listed in thread and put an aftermarket cooler on it such as the Accelro S1 with a 120mm fan zip tied to it. Also whisper quiet.

2. Yes, but as another posted mentioned, be sure to set it to the USB drive rather than your actual drive. I never understand why people call hacks "toys". Mine is just as solid as any Mac I've ever owned once it is installed correctly.

Gordo74 said:
davids8477 said:
Great guide.

Two simple questions.

1. I am starting another build using the hardware listed in first post - except the video card. Gordo you mention that the card you used is a bit noisy - do you have any alternate recommendations?

2. While I wait for Amazon/Newegg to deiiver I want to get prepped. Can I use Xmove on my Apple IMAC to prepare the USN Lion install drive without screwing things up - sorry if its a "duh" question, but my IMAC is my bread and butter computer and the Hacks are my toys.

Thanks again

1. Yes, you have three options here. First, the Gigabyte Tri fan 6870 works out of the box as well. The problem with this is it is 12" long and some may have trouble fitting it in their case. Second, you can purchase the XFX Dual Fan 6870 which is available on newegg for $195, a bit more expensive, but whisper quiet. Third, you can do what I did to this XFX listed in thread and put an aftermarket cooler on it such as the Accelro S1 with a 120mm fan zip tied to it. Also whisper quiet.

2. Yes, but as another posted mentioned, be sure to set it to the USB drive rather than your actual drive. I never understand why people call hacks "toys". Mine is just as solid as any Mac I've ever owned once it is installed correctly.

Thank you - great info.

I was not referring to your HACKS as toys - it is my British sense of humor (humour) - MY hacks are my interest (therefore my toys) rather than the computer I rely on to perform my work duties.

Gordo74 said:
1. Third, you can do what I did to this XFX listed in thread and put an aftermarket cooler on it such as the Accelro S1 with a 120mm fan zip tied to it. Also whisper quiet.

Can you pls provide pictures for the installation

awesome guide!!!! thanks for everything as it made everything easy from SL to Lion. everything works except for audio over hdmi from gpu but thats a nonissue for me as I have my own audio receiver hooked up through s/pdif from motherboard which was a surprise that it worked :headbang: I have the exact setup except for the case again this helped out a lot and took out a lot of the guess work.

I installed chimera via multibeast and now my graphics and resolution work, but my load time is terrible. It's very painfully slow to load up and my icons are broken on the desktop. I rebooted and it comes up fine, I got happy, then it shut down I had to return BIOS to last good configuration and I start over again.

I used the 64 bit boot screen option, updated to 10.7.1 and applied the other settings you have posted. I think maybe I needed to remove an older setting or kext file from another software's install of lion? Any help? I feel like I am so close.

i'm just having issues with xMove. I can't get it to work with anything period! I put Lion on a USB and set that to the install, and I keep getting Install failed? I tried it the partition way and still get failed?! Is there something I should be doing that I'm not?

Thanks!

Gordo,

I ran into some trouble. I was trying to use a Lexar USB 3.0 card reader. It seems when that card reader is plugged into a usb 2.0 port it works and everything's fine. When I use the usb 3.0 port, i run into issues where the computer won't even boot into the boot loader. Maybe it's something in the Bios.
Have you used usb 3.0? Is there something I need to set?

Thanks for your help

Ed

When trying to run xMove this is the message I get:

!
The Installation Failed.

The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

That's when trying to install to a blank formatted 8GB USB?

Tried with Lion on the drive and get same issue.

Thanks!

Edbetz you wrote "I can also report that USB 3.0 is working. It shows up in the system report as USB Super-Speed Bus". What did you do to get USB 3 to work? You have the rev 1.0 of the motherboard with the etron usb3 drivers, right? My usb3 does not show up in system report nor anything plugged into them so any help would be appreciated?

Gordo Sleep works when requested from start menu but auto-sleep does not work (used to, but stopped working) and can't figure it out, any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have tried not having any applications running, but still get the error

Lastly, if I have it in 64bit mode after sleep I get CMOS errors, I tried the patch on AppleRTC.kext mentioned on other post, but that just caused it not boot. Using F4 of bios. Any ideas? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back