Contribute
Register

Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean ML/Lion Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean Lion Install

Gordo, just giving you and update. I do not know what fixed it but my magnify is working. I recently installed Adium (probably not likely to make it work, haha) and JavaScript. It might have just been restarting the computer a couple times.

Also, is it possible to have the FULL boot screen from the time I turn my computer on and see the Grey apple logo run in 64 bit?

Also, any recommendations for a good/great USB Wireless N Adapter or PCI Card. I tried building my own, the Mini PCI card I received is defective. So I'm just looking to go the USB rout so I can plug it in and easily.

edbetz said:
djlild7hina,

I'm not really sure I understand your question.

There are usb 2.0 ports and usb 3.0 ports.

I believe there are 2 usb 3.0 ports on the rear of the machine. The 2.0 are marked in RED and the 3.0 are marked in BLUE.

SO if you are asking if the 2.0 ports work as 3.0 the answer is no, but if you are asking if both 3.0 ports work as 3.0 the answer is yes.

Hope that answers your question.

Ed

sorry. i meant to say, do both usb 3.0 ports get recognized as 3.0 in lion or just one of them. but you already answered that so thanks :)

I understand.

Well, I double checked, and I have some bad news. There are 2 blue ports on the motherboard marked 3.0, but only one seems to actually be working, the other did not mount my drive. I'll play with it more later and see if I can figure it out. So as of right now, only 1 of the 3.0 ports seem to be working..

Ed

santiagoiiic said:
Also, is it possible to have the FULL boot screen from the time I turn my computer on and see the Grey apple logo run in 64 bit?

Also, any recommendations for a good/great USB Wireless N Adapter or PCI Card. I tried building my own, the Mini PCI card I received is defective. So I'm just looking to go the USB rout so I can plug it in and easily.

No to both of those.

The PC hardware has to boot Chimera, and has to show the Gigabyte POST screen. Nothing can be done there.

Also, there are no wireless N cards that just work with the OSX native drivers unless you build your own. There are other cards that work with the installation of third party software, but the utility has to sit open in the dock and is quite annoying IMO. Your best bet is to buy another component for building one and see if it works :)

Great guide.

Two simple questions.

1. I am starting another build using the hardware listed in first post - except the video card. Gordo you mention that the card you used is a bit noisy - do you have any alternate recommendations?

2. While I wait for Amazon/Newegg to deiiver I want to get prepped. Can I use Xmove on my Apple IMAC to prepare the USN Lion install drive without screwing things up - sorry if its a "duh" question, but my IMAC is my bread and butter computer and the Hacks are my toys.

Thanks again

I have an older laptop on which the installer seems to work fine, however when I tried to install on my new HP Probook with this method I get this Kernel panic.... Any ideas?
file.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordo74 said:
santiagoiiic said:

No to both of those.

The PC hardware has to boot Chimera, and has to show the Gigabyte POST screen. Nothing can be done there.

Also, there are no wireless N cards that just work with the OSX native drivers unless you build your own. There are other cards that work with the installation of third party software, but the utility has to sit open in the dock and is quite annoying IMO. Your best bet is to buy another component for building one and see if it works :)

Purchased a Netgear WNCE2001, it is perfect. No more worrying about drivers or anything like that.

HackaMaca said:
For anyone who has the "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" (or whatever your Lion installer is called) and does not want to redownload the dmg from the App Store, you can use this method to put Lion on your flash drive with xMove.

Right click on "Install Mac X Lion.app"
Click "Show Package Contents"
Navigate to /Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
Double click to mount "InstallESD.dmg"
Run xMove
Choose your HFS formatted flash drive and install

This procedure took about 30 minutes. I have not had a chance to test it yet since the rest of my Hackintosh parts wont be delivered till Friday. I'll be sure to post if it works or not.

I created my lion flash drive with that exact method but it freezes when I boot, soon after I see the apple logo and progress wheel. I am a noob and can't pinpoint the issue. Please share if you were able to get this method to work. I am curious if graphicsenabler=no would help me in this case.

Worked fine for me. Install time was about 8-10 minutes with SSD drive.

davids8477 said:
Great guide.

2. While I wait for Amazon/Newegg to deiiver I want to get prepped. Can I use Xmove on my Apple IMAC to prepare the USN Lion install drive without screwing things up - sorry if its a "duh" question, but my IMAC is my bread and butter computer and the Hacks are my toys.

Thanks again

Yes, you can use xMove to prepare the flash drive on any OSX machine. Use the method's described in this thread.

Braydon525 said:
HackaMaca said:
For anyone who has the "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" (or whatever your Lion installer is called) and does not want to redownload the dmg from the App Store, you can use this method to put Lion on your flash drive with xMove.

Right click on "Install Mac X Lion.app"
Click "Show Package Contents"
Navigate to /Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
Double click to mount "InstallESD.dmg"
Run xMove
Choose your HFS formatted flash drive and install

This procedure took about 30 minutes. I have not had a chance to test it yet since the rest of my Hackintosh parts wont be delivered till Friday. I'll be sure to post if it works or not.

I created my lion flash drive with that exact method but it freezes when I boot, soon after I see the apple logo and progress wheel. I am a noob and can't pinpoint the issue. Please share if you were able to get this method to work. I am curious if graphicsenabler=no would help me in this case.

Worked fine for me. Install time was about 8-10 minutes with SSD drive.

Worked for me too, I think you have to use rBoot to boot into the Lion installer as iBoot won't work and booting straight from the usb will not work (from my experience of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back