2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all,

So it has been a crazy couple of weeks, with a lot of experimentation to get ML working perfectly (USB 3.0 too!!!) on this board. What I have for you here is a detailed (sorry about not having many pictures) guide on how to get ML working perfectly on your GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 board with a 6xxx series gfx card. This guide is assuming that you already have the latest version of Lion running on your mac.... if not, follow this guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html) on how to format your drive for OSX!

As I said, it took a lot of tries and different methods, but I never gave up, and got it in the end!! If you follow this guide to the letter, you shouldn't have a problem with this (but no guarantees!! lol)

Before I did this successfully, I tried a million times, and most of the time got this message :(
photo-1.jpg

(crummy iPad picture too lol)

1- Get in a calm mental state of mind and clear your calendar for a few hours lol
2- Get your screwdrivers and anti-static wristbands, cuz here we go!! :D
3- Prepare your UniBeast USB drive as this guide states (http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html)
4- Shut down your computer
5- Disconnect all of your drives (except for the drive you want to install ML on)
6- If you have more than 4GB of RAM, take that out too!
7- Remove your 6xxx graphics card and plug your display cable directly into your mobo so you can run on HD3000 graphics
8- Boot from the USB drive and install OSX as you normally would
9- Restart and boot from your UniBeast drive, selecting the drive you just installed ML on
10- Once the OS boots, run MultiBeast (see my configuration below & download my DSDT)
11- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! But you aren’t done yet!
12- Put all of your RAM and your 6xxx card back into your computer and boot up normally… and everything SHOULD go as planned!

ScreenShot2012-08-12at32003PM.png

ScreenShot2012-08-12at32221PM.png

GeekBench:
ScreenShot2012-08-12at33632PM.png

CineBench:
ScreenShot2012-08-12at33949PM.png

I have now overclocked my build!!! I am running stable at 4.2GHZ!!!! PM me if you want more info!
ScreenShot2012-09-03at73203PM.png

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    16.9 KB · Views: 267
Step 5. Not really necessary but if someone is careless, it's a good idea.

Step 6. Not necessary.

Step 7. Not necessary. Just remove the ATI6000 kext on the USB drive, copy it to your desktop. During OSX upgrade, you'll have 1024 resolution only - don't panic, continue installation. Once you're done with installation, re-install the ATI6000 kext to your S/L/E, rebuild cache, reboot, and you're back in all your full screen glory with QE/CI.

Step 8. If this is an upgrade over an existing LION installation, you don't need to re-run Multibeast.

** I also have a Z68 board and 6870 video card, and did an upgrade over Lion.

Step 5. Not really necessary but if someone is careless, it's a good idea.

Step 6. Not necessary.

Step 7. Not necessary. Just remove the ATI6000 kext on the USB drive, copy it to your desktop. During OSX upgrade, you'll have 1024 resolution only - don't panic, continue installation. Once you're done with installation, re-install the ATI6000 kext to your S/L/E, rebuild cache, reboot, and you're back in all your full screen glory with QE/CI.

Step 8. If this is an upgrade over an existing LION installation, you don't need to re-run Multibeast.

** I also have a Z68 board and 6870 video card, and did an upgrade over Lion.

I actually tried just removing the ATI6000 kext and it didn't work (I think there might have been an issue with the usb drive honestly) but this is just the method that I used to get ML working.

And you are correct about not needing to re run multibeast, but my audio and network was not working, so I just re ran the whole thing

Cheers!

I've tried it both ways on my Son of Zorro build. First, I tried to install it with a 6450 graphics card installed using the technique of removing the ATI6000 kext. However, I found the procedure used by JGW310 to be the easiest. Actually, the tonymacx86 admin/mods recommend you remove your 6000 card and use your mobo's Intel Integrated Graphics to install Mountain Lion. :thumbup: For some of us, it's easier to deal with hardware than software. ;)

Anywho, thanks, JGW310, for the nice guide.

Thanks for the guide. I used it today and it worked perfectly. I prefer the GPU removal method over the kext removal method. As Stork said, hardware is easier for me than software.

A few thoughts.... I had to use GraphicsEnabler=No to boot the installer and on subsequent boots using the HD3000 graphics. I thought the IGP was good with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (the default) but maybe it isn't. Once I ran multibeast and reinstalled my 6850, things booted perfectly with GraphicsEnabler=Yes in my plist. I have full accelation and things seem to be running perfectly.

It is a bumber 10.8 takes longer to boot than 10.7 did. Not a good move on Apples part. Even Microsoft knows shorter boots are the way of the future :(

Hey man thanks for that update got the audio working great now in Lion. Still cant get my ML lion setup to work - its weird i have an ivy bridge cpu but trying to reach installer takes ages and then I cannot boot from the ML hard drive.

Thank you - I am fairly new to this - I had a working Lion install previously - I tried to do a fresh install of ML last night and failed horribly - Using you Multibeast settings worked great though

Thx for a Nice Guide!

Which BIOS version are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back