Contribute
Register

Guide for Installing Lion on the 4530s Version 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
stephenkil12 said:
Is it switchable graphics? I tried turning that off but the same thing happens. Also, my 4530s doesn't show the installer usb in boot options when I first boot up. It only shows when I press f10 to go into BIOS settings and then reboot. And the usb shows as something like USB Hard Drive 1 [USB Memorette] instead of "installer"

Yes I believe it's "Switchable Graphics" that has to be turned off. I remember when I was in the BIOS the ON/OFF was a little tricky and at times did not stick.

Is it possible to install lion via dvd?

Because i dont have an 8 gig usb stick only one with 4gig

or via SD Card i got one sdhc with 8gig

Yooooo just want to let you guys know about my journey with the 4530s.

I fist started off with everything fully working upgraded to 10.7.3.... UNTIL i let my freaking laptop go to sleep. I already knew that the bluetooth and wifi wouldn't work after waking up from sleep. So I did more snooping around in this thread and figured out what to do. What I did was delete the next mentioned on page 113, but right before i did that I ran the Localtime-Toggle.pkg file and rebooted. So i did those 2 things and bada bing bada boom working wifi even after waking up. I'm not really worried about the bluetooth because I don't really use it, but if i do feel like using bluetooth I have a Jabra bluetooth dongle. I hooked it up and it works like a charm =]

I know this stuff was already mentioned and I'm sorry if you're peeved by people who repost stuff. =/

I hope I helped.

If you don't feel like going to that page to look for the script you need to write in terminal in order to delete that old next.... here you go

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext

I just read all this stuff. I didn't really ask for help. This guide is great and easy to follow. This is my first hackintosh and it was a great experience. I can't wait until I get all the parts for my desktop build.

If its you're first time doing this or you're having problems.... don't give up... and take your time. Thanks for reading.

Hi everyone.

Im at step 13 of my first install on a 4530s.

I am worried when I get to step 15. I have some questions about this step. (as below)

15. Run the installer, and select:
-OS X version you are installing
-Ethernet Kext Installer (when this launches, use the release version)
-Chimera
-Under DSDT find your correct BIOS
-i5 or i7 CPU if you have them

" -OS X version you are installing"

What osx version your are installing? Well I prep'd the thumb drive on a mac at 10.6.7, and downloaded the latest Lion app. So what is it I put in the version the Lion app version or the 10.6.7?

What is the release version. Is it 3 as the tutorial says at the beginining. Or is it a release of installer, or release of some version in my bios??

If somebody could answer these question it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart

riodoro1 said:
descuidado said:
One Question! there is a way to get this first USB on the left side, of the ProBook 4530s I think is a USB 3, somebody get this port work???

It works, not sure if as 3.0 tough.

It doesn't work dude, If I plug the mouse or a iPod doesn't work! :( please help me

descuidado said:
riodoro1 said:
descuidado said:
One Question! there is a way to get this first USB on the left side, of the ProBook 4530s I think is a USB 3, somebody get this port work???

It works, not sure if as 3.0 tough.

It doesn't work dude, If I plug the mouse or a iPod doesn't work! :( please help me

That is not accurate.

Works as USB 3.0 or 2.0 on mine with no problems at all? Using standard install method.

machackaddict said:
Hi everyone.

Im at step 13 of my first install on a 4530s.

I am worried when I get to step 15. I have some questions about this step. (as below)

15. Run the installer, and select:
-OS X version you are installing
-Chimera
-Under DSDT find your correct BIOS

" -OS X version you are installing"

What osx version your are installing? Well I prep'd the thumb drive on a mac at 10.6.7, and downloaded the latest Lion app. So what is it I put in the version the Lion app version or the 10.6.7?

What is the release version. Is it 3 as the tutorial says at the beginining. Or is it a release of installer, or release of some version in my bios??

If somebody could answer these question it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart

Its the lion app version.

You'll see release when you run the installer.

Ok, so I managed to complete the steps. I got to the desktop and loaded up the installer inputing Run the installer, and select:
-OS X version you are installing - 10.7.3
-Ethernet Kext Installer (when this launches, use the release version) (didnt see any option for release version that I can remember)
-Chimera
-Under DSDT find your correct BIOS - F09 Bios

Then rebooted with stick out and got the boot o error.

Should I have installed anything like the LION.app before rebooting??

So i went to the FAQ and it says its problem with 1 or 2 tb Western digital green cavier. I dont have that drive. I have a Hitachi 500gb.

Should I be following that tutorial first of all?

If I do follow that tutorial. I would like to point out that there are no pictures to help and do I do steps 3?? its unclear. Anyway here is what it says to do below. Should I do this???

To summarize everything, this is what I did..
1. Download unpkg here

2. Download Chimera 1.6 here (obsolete. Use your own Chimera/Chameleon that you've installed)

3. Unpkg Chimera 1.6 to your USB disk. In my case, I unpkg on my Unibeast USB disk.

4. Boot either Unibeast, or if you are using Snow Leopard, iBoot then OSX Retail Disk. IMPORTANT!! Do not boot into your installed Mac OS. Boot into your installation disk, either USB or CD.

5. Run Disk Manager

6. Unmount all partition. THIS STEP IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! Otherwise you won't be able to do anything with your mounted partition. Everything will result as permission denied.
Attachment:
2.jpg

7. Quit Disk Manager

8. Run Terminal.

9. Check whether volumes is already unmounted except your USB:
Quote:
ls /Volumes

This is what it looks like if mounted:
Attachment:
1.jpg
and this is after you unmount the volume.
Attachment:
3.jpg
Look at those 2 volumes from Disk Utilities ("mac osx" and "data") that were exist, and disappear after you unmount the volume at step 6

Also notice, that FLASH volume that exist here, that correspond to Corsair's volume at Disk Utilities. It is your USB device. That is my USB disk. It is where my chimera located. Just make sure you can access your "boot1h" file there for later use.

10. Find your Mac OSX boot partition. Usually it should have EFI partition, AND a partition you've defined when you perform your installation.
Quote:
diskutil list

take a note of it.. Mine was at /dev/disk5, and has MacOSX label, so my disk looks like
Code:
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk5
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk5s1
2: Apple_HFS Mac OSX 251.7 GB disk5s2
3: Apple_HFS Data 1 372.9 GB disk5s3
4: Apple_HFS Data 2 375.0 GB disk5s4

The boot partition is MacOSX, hence partition number 2.
It seems when you boot retail installation disk, there are some other drive being mounted, so your hard drive did not retain disk0 number. Therefore you have to check your hard drive with diskutil.

11. now run this
Quote:
dd if=/Volumes/USB/Chimera/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk5s2

replace bold USB with your USB volumes from step 9 above.
replace bold Chimera with your folder where you unpkg your files.
Look at that second Volume picture above. Mine was at FLASH/chimera

12. done, and reboot
Quote:
reboot

I hope this will be helpful to anyone experiencing the same problem.

UPDATED: Added pictures tohelp illustrate better. It is little bit different because I use my old computer for my pictures, nad new computer when I wrote the guide. But I think you should get the idea.

joyjelly said:
LJ518UT#ABA

Hello gaxm,
Can you please share your success on mode LJ518UT, I follow the same guide you did, however, the OS 10.7.2 lion installation load up to the point when next screen should be the picking language menu. the Screen just turn black and not response with hitting any key. Just the power button light up. Please share how you get through.... thank you very very much. !!!!

@joyjelly

I am responding to your PM with a message on the forum in case it helps anyone else. It appears that very few people are reporting anything on the LJ518UT#ABA model, so I will try to include all my progress so far on that model in this post:

1. In response to your PM, I think you may just be running into the brightness issue. Try to hit Fn-F2 when the screen goes blank. Try Fn-F2 and Fn-F3 to see if the screen comes back. I'm not sure I remember what happened at this point, but it sounds like the same issue. If this is it, note that unless you fix it in the BIOS later on, you will have to do it every time you boot up after installation as well. (I tried to fix the brightness issue in the BIOS but it never worked for me)

2. if you have the Hitachi 500GB drive or anything similar, you will also run into the 4k sectors issue. Search on the forum or for my posts specifically and you will see a solution for that also.

3. Another issue I faced is that this model does not have the standard supported wifi/bluetooth card. I am currently using a USB dongle to get by, which has OSX drivers and works great. I ordered a replacement card from Ebay (AR5B195 Atheros 9285) but it has not been working well yet. I will post if/when I resolve that issue. Specifically, I can connect to Wifi but my connection drops within a minute or two, and is REALLY FLAKY. (Looking for help here!!!!)

4. I followed the standard guide for the 10.7.3 upgrade, worked without any issues.

5. I upgraded to the 1080p screen. It took me some effort and two tries, but it works perfectly now. If you follow the HP manual, everything works. I can also display on a 1080p TV via HDMI with audio (watched a few episodes of Merlin today on Hulu!).

6. Another pending issue is that I cannot get the Soundflower driver to install using the software. It is nothing critical, but my son needed it for a school project and I could not get it to work!

Good luck, this model is a bit odd but works great for the most part. All this is thanks to all the support on the forums from blueking, bigdonkey, and everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back