Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Encrypt a user home folder, by using "Legacy FileVault"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have now upgraded to High Sierra, which apparently supports Filevault 2 for the entire system (not only the home folder). Nevertheless, I still have my previous user account encrypted as described above, i.e. with an encrypted sparsebundle file.

To be more specific, currently I have an SSD with High Sierra (encrypted with File Vault 2) and an additional non-SSD hard drive for my data (unencrypted, which however contains an encrypted sparsebundle image with my previous home folder). What is the easiest option to migrate my existing home folder to High Sierra?
- Following the above instructions, i.e. setting the sparsebundle in the user.plist file as home directory does not work anymore.
- How does my Filevault 2 system disk encryption affect a potential encryption of my other internal hard drive? Is it possible that I mount both with a single password input (e.g. when I enter the system password during boot)?
- If I decide to go this way and encrypt the entire non-SSD hard drive (the one that contains the sparsebundle image), is there an in-place way of moving all files in the sparsebundle file to the same hard drive but outside the sparsebundle file, i.e. without any container (there will not be enough free space to just copy the files out of the sparsebundle).

Help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back