Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Guide] 10.11 on Intel Broadwell NUC 2.0

Ah, I see.

I still think it's more likely a problem with a setting in the BIOS than with the BIOS itself, but you can see how you make out. The BIOS downloads are on the page here.

Never mind -- don't downgrade your BIOS -- 350 is working better for me. :) I'm guessing there's a setting in there causing problems. VT-d? Secure Boot? Want to send photos of all the screens?

Edit: I put a current set of BIOS screen shots into the first post.

Yup saw those Settings before, its pritty much what I have now :)

This is what I have for my settings. I have had vt-d on in yosemite and it worked without issued. I turned it off to see if it would fix it, but it doesnt.

Attachments

• IMG_20150916_145109.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 246

And you definitely have Secure Boot turned off? You could double-check the Power and Boot screens, which didn't seem to be in your zip, but otherwise, I'm not sure what to say. It looks OK so far.

If you boot in verbose mode when it does the auto-restart, can you make out any last messages?

You know, now I am having some trouble with the 5i5 on BIOS 0350. For some reason Clover is taking forever from the time it puts the background image up to the time the list of boot options shows. I might try some of the older BIOSes and see how it goes.

Yea, Secure Boot is off. I am almost convinced its the Bios version.

So after more testing, I like BIOS 0348 on the RYK/RYH. The Clover problem I had with 0350 seemed transient (at least, it was gone this morning), but there is definitely an issue in 0350 with the NUC powering itself back on a few seconds after a shutdown.

With 0348 I've been able to get 4K working reliably, though with slightly different settings for the 5i5RYK and 5i7RYH that I tried.

The BIOS versions are different on the MYHE models, and I haven't explored those much. They shipped mine with the oldest, and it has worked fine.

I downgraded the BIOS and still get a message that is too short to read before the whole nuc reboots again.

Well, I'm at a loss for what to suggest next. Different USB stick? You could try setting IGD minimum to 128 and aperture to 256, but that's really a stretch. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can step in if there's a way to log the messages or make them stick around longer before a reboot?

Hi Ammulder

I've been running 10.11 on an i7 for the past week thanks to your guide, and the only issue I've noticed is that the audio occasionally drops out. I've only tested audio through the headphone jack, and essentially I hear a pop and the sound cuts out. Have you encountered this? I'm dual booting with Windows 10 and this isn't an problem there so it's not a hardware issue.I've also tested different headphones and get the same issue. The audio usually returns after restarting.

Audio isn't really a big deal for me, but if you have any suggestions to troubleshoot I'd be interested to hear them.

Thanks is again to you, Toleda and RehabMan for the time you've put into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back