Contribute
Register

GTX 970 / GTX 980 are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought of that, but then I thought with the NVIDIA drivers, that might "override" that limitation & provide the functionality.

I can confirm that the HDMI port on GTX 970 does, in fact work (it's not malfunctioning), as it does drive my 4k set at 4K@60Hz. So I suspect the issue is with Mac OS X. I may try a different smbios - like iMac 14... more testing to come
:mrgreen:
This maybe sound stupid, But I know from previous experience with my gaming display that is marketed as 3d and 144hz refresdh rate, and the display has all kind outputs, But it only supports 144hz through DVI cable, Which sounded weird since it has display port. My point is that it could be that your particular display only supports 60hz through 1 particular out put. Or perhaps it only supports 60hz in OS X through a particular output cable?
As another thought I did go out and buy (@bestbuy) both a display port to hdmi cable, and a display port to DVI adaptor so I could figure out which outputs on my 980 were working w/ my different display monitors.
Anyway it sounds like your really close. I would try the different ins/outs from both your graphics card to your display. ie: displayport out graphics card/hdmi into display OR displayport out vga/DVI (adaptor) into display.
Sorry if you've already been through these. Just my one cent again.

This maybe sound stupid, But I know from previous experience with my gaming display that is marketed as 3d and 144hz refresdh rate, and the display has all kind outputs, But it only supports 144hz through DVI cable, Which sounded weird since it has display port. My point is that it could be that your particular display only supports 60hz through 1 particular out put. Or perhaps it only supports 60hz in OS X through a particular output cable?
As another thought I did go out and buy (@bestbuy) both a display port to hdmi cable, and a display port to DVI adaptor so I could figure out which outputs on my 980 were working w/ my different display monitors.
Anyway it sounds like your really close. I would try the different ins/outs from both your graphics card to your display. ie: displayport out graphics card/hdmi into display OR displayport out vga/DVI (adaptor) into display.
Sorry if you've already been through these. Just my one cent again.

I appreciate the added feedback - process of elimination - experimentation ideas. I think I may have forgotten some info from my OP.

Under Windows 7 Ultimate, the GTX 970 **does** indeed drive my VIZIO 4K UHD at 60Hz. There is only 1 HDMI port on my particular video card. 970 is supposed to support HDMI 2.0 OoB, and under Windows, it sure does. So again, to me - there are no hardware malfunctions or shady marketing of both products & their capabilities.

BUT - the Windows NVIDIA video control panel is MUCH more robust than the stock Mac display control panel. Under the Refresh Rate drop-down list in the Mac Display Properties, it will show a 60Hz option when I have the 970 connected to the HDMI 2.0 port on the VIZIO. BUT, when I choose the 60Hz option, the screen never comes back to life - it just goes into power saver mode. If I remove the cable & plug into a 4K@30Hz port, then switch the TV input to that port, video is being displayed (but I'm assuming at 30Hz).

You're right... I'm very close... Fingers crossed that I can get this ironed out.. :)

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about picking up a 970 in the next couple of months, most likely this EVGA card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NSEK2G2/?tag=tonymacx86-21 to go in my P67 i5-2500k system. As my board uses P67, I have no way of using iGFX to install drivers- is this still necessary, or can I use the 970 OOB to install the NVIDIA web drivers?

I'm only running one 1080 display and won't change that for a while, and will do all my gaming under 7, so all I really need from OS X is the ability to watch HD video and some light graphics work (mostly PS).

Thanks for any help,

Dan

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about picking up a 970 in the next couple of months, most likely this EVGA card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NSEK2G2/?tag=tonymacx86-21 to go in my P67 i5-2500k system. As my board uses P67, I have no way of using iGFX to install drivers- is this still necessary, or can I use the 970 OOB to install the NVIDIA web drivers?

I'm only running one 1080 display and won't change that for a while, and will do all my gaming under 7, so all I really need from OS X is the ability to watch HD video and some light graphics work (mostly PS).

Thanks for any help,

Dan

Yes you can - but you need to use some boot flags and boot up into safe mode with the card installed so you can install the Web drivers. Then just follow the rest of the instructions for the NVIDIA Web drivers post (modifying your org.chameleon file).

Yes you can - but you need to use some boot flags and boot up into safe mode with the card installed so you can install the Web drivers. Then just follow the rest of the instructions for the NVIDIA Web drivers post (modifying your org.chameleon file).

OK, would I take the same route you did in post #88 (once you corrected it)?

1. Install 970
2. Boot into 10.10 using -x -v nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes
3. Install... this? http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us
4. Done?

P.S I'm going to be updating to Yosemite in a couple of days so I'll still be using my 6850. Would there be any reason to install the OS from scratch when I get the new card? Or would this installation be OK?

Thanks,

Dan

EDIT: just seen tonymacx86's post here that you referred to (sorry!): http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...1f01-maxwell-geforce-gtx-970-980-support.html

So step 4. would just be setting nvda_drv=1 ?

I followed the instructions and was able to get it to boot on my panasonic tv just fine
IMG_8689_zps4f82f184.jpg

Then when I went to go set up using my smaller display I get this error
IMG_8690_zps53111671.jpg

I'm still using HDMI.. I don't really know what to do to bypass this. I notice the card stops spinning as well when it gets to the apple logo

eVGA GTX970
Gigabyte z77x-UD5H
Had to flash to f14 because I wasn't able to boot past the bios with the card plugged in on f7

It boots in safe mode with a lot of flicker, I'm still not sure what to do to fix it though. HD4000 is now doing the same thing

I think your Problem might be HDMI. Try DVI or DP.

I don't have any of those ports available for my displays. It boots in -v -f and it works fine, but i just can't get it to boot like this after installing the drivers with only changes in my boot.plist

EDIT: now it doesn't boot at all with the card in.

OK, would I take the same route you did in post #88 (once you corrected it)?

1. Install 970
2. Boot into 10.10 using -x -v nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes
3. Install... this? http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us
4. Done?

P.S I'm going to be updating to Yosemite in a couple of days so I'll still be using my 6850. Would there be any reason to install the OS from scratch when I get the new card? Or would this installation be OK?

Thanks,

Dan

EDIT: just seen tonymacx86's post here that you referred to (sorry!): http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...1f01-maxwell-geforce-gtx-970-980-support.html

So step 4. would just be setting nvda_drv=1 ?

Exactly

booting with nv_disable=1 gets me back in my yosemite drive. Earlier I wasn't able to boot into it at all... Through HD4000 or GTX970. So now my only question with this card, since I have stable HDMI and HDMI audio through HD4000, is there a way that I can just boot the GTX970 in Windows only without having to swap out the card each time? I really won't game or use anything graphically intensive on the Mac side for awhile. I've overnighted a DVI adapter so I will try that tomorrow, but If I cannot boot into Mac with the web driver on restarts.. It's really no use to bother right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back