Contribute
Register

GTX 780 Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember the shadows ever looking this badly in OS X before. Is this intended?

Those shadows are correct, if you want to compare just press Command-Shift-4 and then press the spacebar to get the window snapshot tool and then you can compare the shadows.

We were not using npci=0x3000 for starters. We had the desktop ready to go the night before the card arrived so we installed 10.8.3 fresh on the system using the Intel HD 4000 graphics. We installed multibeast with the proper settings for his Maximus V (was kind of pain to get to boot without using a modified bios but he didn't want to mess with that). After multibeast was installed and it was booting fine, we installed the Nvidia web driver and then set the kernel flag to nvda_drv=1 and GraphicsEnabler=No. I swear we didn't have to do any more than this to get it working. We never touched the smbios so it should have been a Macpro3,1 if you are using some other system definition it might not work.

So if I am doing a brand new build with a LGA 2011 socet CPU with no itegrated graphics, what will I have to do to get it started up since I can't install the drivers beforehand? Will it still work without the drivers just not properly? Or will it not work at all?

Happy to report my GTX 780 worked right away since the latest NVIDIA drivers were installed.

Gained over 10fps on my X-Plane setup too!
This was actually a little unexpected, as more CPU cores is usually the key with X-Plane performance.

Well, this may of just made my day... as this is what I plan to upgrade to in hopefully a month.

Gigabyte z77x-up5 th
Intel i7-3770k
EVGA ACX Cooler GTX 780

Can I get a confirmation that what I listed above is seemingly going to work?

I'm a graphic designer & avid gamer, and I've been on my Lion Hackintosh below for awhile now. It's served me well enough, but I want to upgrade before BF4 drops, as well as having a much more stable OS X 10.8.3 build.

ASUS P67 Sabertooth
Intel i7-2600k
ASUS GTX 480

My only concerns are the PSU complaints I've been hearing about the Gigabyte z77x-up5 th motherboard. Something about only handfuls of PSU's working with it. I have a 1000w Cougar PSU, so I'm certainly crossing my fingers. I've never had a major hardware issue out of my build, and wouldn't want any on my new one.

-TYPØ

Worked straight up on my Ga-z77x-UP5 TH, following the instructions at beginning of thread.

Hi guys,

Nice thread! I can confirm that the EVGA 780 works great with 10.8.3 using the NVidia drivers linked about and a quick edit of the org.chameleon.Boot.plist listed below:

Note that if like me you have the Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH you want to update your BIOS to a minimum of F8 to avoid long POST times.

Youtube vid to follow shortly.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>no</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>nvda_drv=1</string></dict>
</plist>

Mike

Hi guys,

Nice thread! I can confirm that the EVGA 780 works great with 10.8.3 using the NVidia drivers linked about and a quick edit of the org.chameleon.Boot.plist listed below:

Note that if like me you have the Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH you want to update your BIOS to a minimum of F8 to avoid long POST times.

Youtube vid to follow shortly.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>no</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>nvda_drv=1</string></dict>
</plist>

Mike

Your plist is wrong you need to delete:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>nvda_drv=1</string>

and stick nvda_drv=1 like so:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0 nvda_drv=1</string>

I updated to 10.8.4 on my Macbook Pro and its saying that the driver version is still 310.40.00.05f01 whereas the Nvidia web driver is 313.01.01f03. So my guess for the time being we wait for nvidia to come out with an official driver for 10.8.4.

Shouldn't be working, but it is....using the normal OS X driver.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 5.10.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 5.10.59 PM.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 338
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back