Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everyone, I have 10.6.4 running perfect on a H55m-USB3 with the GTX 285(flashed version from my real macrpo), only problem is the open gl performance is very low. I have tried updating the drivers with the latest nvidia update and the imac mid 2010 graphics update and no change. My frame rates are about 21 fps in starcraft II in 10.6.4. I have run the open gl extension viewer and the scores are very low as well. Windows is giving me about 60-80 FPS in starcraft II with the same settings.

I am not using nvenabler or anything, QE/CI is working fine, but overall performance is very low.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

I've got the same mobo but not the same GPU. Silly question, but if you still have that Mac Pro, have you thrown it back in there to get some reference framerates on actual Apple hardware?

The frame rates were around 40-45 fps on the mac pro, which is a 2.8 ghz. All in all the 4.3 ghz OC'd i3 should give better fps or at least the same. But it seems 10.6.4 has widespread opengl features. I am going to try to turn off graphics enabler and direct inject DSDT. Someone else had success using the same method.

I really like how 10.6.4 is running and would like to find a solution to this.

Thanks!

I am not able to get any other method for the GTX 285 working, unless its graphicsenabler. I am really disappointed with my open GL performance. I have tried DSDT injection and efi strings but right after the apple logo my displays turn off like there is no signal.

Has anyone had these problems and would know a way to fix I really want to get open gl performance up on this system, everything else works so great.

Thanks!!

What is your identifier?
When mine is set as iMac, I get terrible OpenGL performance. Setting it to Mac Pro in multibeast helps a lot.

It is set as MacPro 3,1 right now, but I have tried 4,1 and 5,1.

I thought it was just an nvidia problem so I picked up a HD 5870 to try out, but unfortunately I am still getting poor performance.

Same here ... but on a GA-X58-UD3R 2.0 FC

Used iBoot 2.5.2 to install SL 10.6.3, installed the 10.6.5 Combo Update with Multibeast 2.4.1, installed the new Nvidia driver for Mac (release date 16.11.2010) and the new CUDA driver. No kext for graphics installed.

I get about 16 FPS in Cinebench, using Windows, I get about 48 FPS.

When I delete the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext, I'll geht about 7 FPS more.

Any ideas?

Set it to Mac Pro 4,1 and edit the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist's MacPro4,1 section by changing Vendor10deDevice05e2 to Vendor10deDevice05e3. Run Kext Utility and reboot.
Your card is running at level 0 power and this will set it to level 2.

BTW 05e3 is only for the 285, other device IDs can be found here - http://pastebin.com/ZR5RHRxU

Ok ... I've already set my Identifier to MacPro4,1.
I'll try to edit the kext or plist altough I have no idea how to do that :)

Thanks!

Ok ... I edited the plist but i still get 21FPS. Any chance to reach more performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back