Contribute
Register

Greetings - Ready to pull the trigger! Come see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2). Once I found a DSDT.aml and got my kexts straightened out, I got everything working on it (including the built-in networking, but I use wifi). Sleep and audio both work.

Video: I had no luck with a GTS 250 which is supposed to be similar (a newer version I think?) to the 9800 GT; I ended up with a 1GB ATI 4650 because they had it in stock at Best Buy and I had a coupon. But it works 100%.

CPU: i7-930.

RAM: I went with G.SKILL (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231352)

PSU: I got a free 600W Cooler Master PSU with my case.

BlueTooth Adapter: I bought the ioGear adapter from Wal-mart. It was $20 and worked out of the box.

Case: HAF 932. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119160 This thing is pretty big. Has room for 5 hard drives, plus another 6 slots in the front.

Networking: I bought a netgear WN311B. It doesn't have a 5GHz chip from what I've read. I'm building my own airport card using the instructions in the forum. I can't recommend the netgear card.

I'd like to spend another $200 on another 6GB of RAM, but other than that I'm 100% happy with my setup. Total cost was $1200 (included a $60 cpu cooler/fan, a $15 Trendnet BT adapter that didn't work, a 1TB HD, and some $10 thermal compound I didn't need)

jayco437 said:
I have the GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2). Once I found a DSDT.aml and got my kexts straightened out, I got everything working on it (including the built-in networking, but I use wifi). Sleep and audio both work.

Video: I had no luck with a GTS 250 which is supposed to be similar (a newer version I think?) to the 9800 GT; I ended up with a 1GB ATI 4650 because they had it in stock at Best Buy and I had a coupon. But it works 100%.

CPU: i7-930.
RAM: I went with G.SKILL (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231352)
PSU: I got a free 600W Cooler Master PSU with my case.
BlueTooth Adapter: I bought the ioGear adapter from Wal-mart. It was $20 and worked out of the box.
Case: HAF 932. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119160 This thing is pretty big. Has room for 5 hard drives, plus another 6 slots in the front.
Networking: I bought a netgear WN311B. It doesn't have a 5GHz chip from what I've read. I'm building my own airport card using the instructions in the forum. I can't recommend the netgear card.

I'd like to spend another $200 on another 6GB of RAM, but other than that I'm 100% happy with my setup. Total cost was $1200 (included a $60 cpu cooler/fan, a $15 Trendnet BT adapter that didn't work, a 1TB HD, and some $10 thermal compound I didn't need)

Excellent. Was hoping to hear of a good success story like yours, thanks so much. :) Did some serious looking around for several P55 boards on the recommendations here but where I'm comfortable shopping online, because many are discontinued now, they are becoming more and more rare. I have a fear that even if I locate one I may run into problems and not locate another.

It's funny, because after some consulting with a very good friend of mine last night, the very nice comments from the generous people here and some more refining, I believe I've settled on the parts. Which appear to be almost exactly your build:

*UPDATED Prices 7/15/2010*

• • Intel Core i7-920 - 2.66GHz - $249.99 - TigerDirect - FreeShip
    • G.SKILL 3GB DDR3 1600 (12800) - $ 84.99 - NewEgg
    • Palit GeForce 9800 GT 1GB - $105.99 - NewEgg
    • COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W - $ 99.99 - NewEgg
    • COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 - $ 59.99 - NewEgg
    • Pioneer SATA DVR-218LBK - $ 24.99 - NewEgg
    • Shipping and Handling - $ 24.21 - NewEgg
    • SUBTOTAL $648.15
    • Mobo (to be purchased) $209.99 - NewEgg - FreeShip

TOTAL $858.14

Turns out I can't find an SATA DVD around after all... hehe. In the interests of saving as much as I could for the initial build, (can always update later) I lowered the power supply wattage from 700 to 600, lowered the RAM from 6 to 3, picked the active cooled video card and so on, which saved quite a lot. I'm now well below my max of $1,200 and even far below my hoped budget of $1,000. :D I'm only running 4GB of ram now, so I don't think I'm going to miss 1GB for a while. For CPU cooling I now have enough in the budget eventually for a CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 and some Akasa Ultra quite fans. But, those are for later. :) Right now, stock is fine.

Could I trouble you of a list of those kexts and a good DSDT.aml source jayco437? It would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen: Your personal experience and anyone you've known with a similar build that would be willing to share info, would be invaluable.

Would like to say a big thank you to everyone who chimed in on my little build, you all were very helpful and I feel much more confident starting this process. I'm really quite excited.
adhd.gif

If anyone has more comments or suggestions, please feel free to post them. I'd be very interested.

glad you settled on your build.

One plus to the P55M-UD4 I got was that you can do 2, 4, 6, 8GB Ram.

Having to do 3GB chunks costs more if all you really need is 4GB.

I REALLY REALLY think you should go with the GTS 250... It is the same card as the 9800 but is a slightly updated design that uses LESS power (only one power connector rather than two)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EVGA-GeForce- ... d/13952358

This one... It's the best brand and just about the same price as what you have.

Kenrik said:
Glad you settled on your build. One plus to the P55M-UD4 I got was that you can do 2, 4, 6, 8GB Ram. Having to do 3GB chunks costs more if all you really need is 4GB.

I REALLY REALLY think you should go with the GTS 250... It is the same card as the 9800 but is a slightly updated design that uses LESS power (only one power connector rather than two) http://www.walmart.com/ip/EVGA-GeForce- ... d/13952358
This one... It's the best brand and just about the same price as what you have.

Thanks! ;)

Only went with 3GB instead of 6GB because the mobo I picked uses triple channel memory. It has 6 slots, so eventually, I'll add another 3Gb or 6GB. The Mac Mini I'm using now has only 4GB and I have never felt it lacking. Most of what I do has never used more than 1-2, so I should be fine for a while. Just wanted to save a few bucks 'out of the gate'.

Thought about the silent card listed here as a good choice for a long while, but due to where it will be (in a rack mount) and how it's to be cooled, an active fan would probably cool it better. Picked the Palit GeForce 9800 GT as basically a stop gap until I find a high end card to save up for. For now as long as video is working, I'll be happy. The Palit one did not seem to have any power plug requirements, but I will check out your card though. It looks very nice. Thanks for the suggestions. :D

rabbit74 said:
Just my 2 cents.

Take a look at some comparison scores for the i7-875k. I have tested it and many other i7-CPUs; 860, 920, 930, 950, 980x

I have found that the 875k outperforms all of the 9xx series except for 975 ans 980x. So IMHO if you aren't going to buy 975 or above then the 875k will give you the most bang for your buck. Do some googling and see if I'm misguided. My 860 actually performs exactly the same as my 950. Believe me I have tried everything and was very disappointed when I couldn't get it to outperform the 860 because it was god damned expensive.

As for video, I love my GTX 260 above all others. But the GTX 285 is truly the bomb for video work if you want to spend some real cash.

As for PSU - I think the leads are key here. I also like Cooler Master because they have more SATA power leads. A lot of other brands have only 4 SATA leads, which just isn't enough and I hate using those stupid little adapters.

Hope that helps.

rabbit.
The chart
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup. ... 40+2.67GHz

Hi Rabbit I was just wondering did you also take in consideration that almost all the d0 steppings of the 920 u can overclock to 4Ghz ?
That would be my reason to buy the 920 .....

Don't know if the 875k can do the same ....

normanu said:
Hi Rabbit I was just wondering did you also take in consideration that almost all the d0 steppings of the 920 u can overclock to 4Ghz ?
That would be my reason to buy the 920 .....

Don't know if the 875k can do the same ....

I was curious about that myself.

One reason why I switched later to the 920 over the 930. ;)

I'll give it a shot. I'll put my 875k up against my 950 both at 4Ghz. I'll post back my results. My money is on the 875k.

I have tested a lot of chips and boards and I have a pretty firm opinion that the only reason to buy X58 is for use with the 980x, which I have and I love. This CPU is worth the extra dough. And so is the 875k.

rabbit.

So, here it is. I ran the test on 3 machines all with the same settings:
Base Clock=166
CPU=3.83Ghz
RAM=1333Mhz
C-states all enabled.
Turbo Disabled.

The 875 ran with 4 Gigs RAM on 2 Channels
The 950 ran with 6 Gigs RAM on 3 Channels.

I stopped at 3.83Ghz instead of 4 because none of my coolers are particularly good, but I think the test was fare as all systems got the same BiOS settings and speeds.

The third test is just to show what I meant about the only chip for X58 is the 980x.

Files are attached for reference.

Geekbench Results:
950 - 12883
875k - 13111
980x - 17067

I was pretty surprised with these results when jimx86 on Tonymac suggested I try this comparison.

They are all good systems, but I think value for money puts the 875k in the lead.

rabbit.

Attachments

• Results.zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 57
I REALLY REALLY think you should go with the GTS 250... It is the same card as the 9800 but is a slightly updated design that uses LESS power (only one power connector rather than two)

LOW POWER SERIES
You should read here
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... catid=3669

As much as 30% less power consumption than the standard 9800 GT.
- Measurements taken running 3DMark06 with an Intel QX9650, nForce 790i, 2GB system memory on Windows Vista 32-bit

BR HighwayTrucker

I am surprised as well at these results.
Although on a side note the 875k is more expansive then the 920 ..

Its a difference of 100 euro's over here ... (thats 129 dollars more for the 875k)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back