Contribute
Register

Graphics card options beyond the top rec's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to attempt my first build with the help of this site. Thanks to everyone for their collective efforts! I have two hopefully quick questions:
  • Are there benchmarks for the CustoMac mATX vs. CustoMac Budget ATX? Basically, what does one get for the higher cost of the "full mATX" package?
  • I would appreciate graphics card suggestions beyond the top-listed recommendation for both of these builds, as Amazon (preferred vendor) is out of stock of the top-listed cards.
I do not have enough experience with custom builds to understand the many variations of graphics cards, even among those listed here on the site as being CustoMac compatible. If someone has composed an explainer on graphics card properties and shopping priorities (must-haves, nice-to-haves, etc), I would appreciate a quick pointer (I have searched around a bit already, without success...).

Thanks in advance!
PartialObs

I've decided to attempt my first build with the help of this site. Thanks to everyone for their collective efforts! I have two hopefully quick questions:
  • Are there benchmarks for the CustoMac mATX vs. CustoMac Budget ATX? Basically, what does one get for the higher cost of the "full mATX" package?
  • I would appreciate graphics card suggestions beyond the top-listed recommendation for both of these builds, as Amazon (preferred vendor) is out of stock of the top-listed cards.
I do not have enough experience with custom builds to understand the many variations of graphics cards, even among those listed here on the site as being CustoMac compatible. If someone has composed an explainer on graphics card properties and shopping priorities (must-haves, nice-to-haves, etc), I would appreciate a quick pointer (I have searched around a bit already, without success...).

Thanks in advance!
PartialObs
The only difference I've witnessed between mATX and ATX motherboard (like my Gene and MyHero builds), is the ability to have more PCIe and, possibly, more M.2 slots. The processor in combination with memory and the graphics card that determines the speed and benchmarks. IMO.

Stay tuned. We'll have an updated Buyer's Guide, Graphics Cards section, today or tomorrow which will show the current line of Nvidia's GTX 1000 (Pascal) series of graphics cards now that Nvidia finally released drivers that support these cards in macOS. See the Forum's Graphics forum section for more information on the drivers > https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/graphics.13/

BTW, what will be your driving application(s) for your graphics card choice?

Okay thanks Stork! I'll hold on for the new Buyer's Guide then.

(And in the meantime, do some reading...)

Cheers,
PartialObs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back