Motherboard
Asus Maximus X HERO
CPU
3.7 GHZ i7
Graphics
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4G
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi this is my first ever post/question. I have searched for a long time looking for someone with the same issue but to no joy.

So i needed to upgrade from the motherboard graphics to a third party card to stop CPU spikes. All good.

I search around on here and do lots of research and choose the RX 580 which is way more than i need but thought it can be future proof for a while.
Im using my machine for Music Production not gaming.
I plugged it in and to my excitement it worked instantly

HOWEVER...now, any black text/type that is fairly small (say 18pt and smaller) almost looks 3D. On closer inspection it actually has various rainbow colours in it , like a halo. Its really hurting my eyes and the screen was fine (just black text) previously using the motherboard graphics card.

Rog Maximus X Hero
OSX 10.13.6
Clover 4630

Ive attached 2 pics, with and without the RX 580 so you can see.

Both pics are colour and taken with Iphone 6s
with Intel Motherboard Graphics...
IMG_2224 copy.jpg

With RX 580
IMG_2223 copy.jpg

Has Anyone else seen this kind of thing?

please Help.

first make sure the technology of the monitor suits your GPU and config and that you are using the native resolution and not a scaled one. if you have a 4k freesync monitor it will work on special settings which are disabled on the iGPU etc.
make sure your GPU configuration is correct - lilu+whatevergreen kexts and no clover config settings
then experiment with these

Copy and paste one of the following commands into the Terminal window and press Enter.

Light font smoothing (1):

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1

Medium font smoothing (2):

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

Heavy font smoothing (3):

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 3

No font smoothing (0):

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 0

first make sure the technology of the monitor suits your GPU and config and that you are using the native resolution and not a scaled one. if you have a 4k freesync monitor it will work on special settings which are disabled on the iGPU etc.
make sure your GPU configuration is correct - lilu+whatevergreen kexts and no clover config settings
then experiment with these

Copy and paste one of the following commands into the Terminal window and press Enter.

Light font smoothing (1):

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1

Medium font smoothing (2):

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

Heavy font smoothing (3):

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 3

No font smoothing (0):

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 0

Thanks for your reply. As I say im new to this so I have a few questions...

How do I find out if my monitor 1440p https://viotek.com/viotek-gn34cx-34-ultrawide-qhd-curved-professional-monitor-100hz-219-freesync/ suits my GPU? Freesync is disabled on the monitor currently.

Its definitely using a native resolution. 3440 x 1440.

How do I check if my GPU configuration is correct? What is correct?

Thanks for your time.

i mean if you do any clover injects and fixes (you shall not) and if you are using native resolution (you confirmed you do)
but if your monitor is freensync then your GPU is as well therefore you could be getting different image quality on iGPU which does not use this technology at all.
try to play with the monitor settings first then with the font smoothing
also check the refresh rate if you are getting 60Hz and not only 30Hz (usual with HDMI) try to use DP cable instead of HDMI (cheap fix)

i mean if you do any clover injects and fixes (you shall not) and if you are using native resolution (you confirmed you do)
but if your monitor is freensync then your GPU is as well therefore you could be getting different image quality on iGPU which does not use this technology at all.
try to play with the monitor settings first then with the font smoothing
also check the refresh rate if you are getting 60Hz and not only 30Hz (usual with HDMI) try to use DP cable instead of HDMI (cheap fix)

I was using a DP cable all along (the monitor doesn't even work properly on HDMI) its been on 60hz the whole time too.

So I decided to buy a couple of other Graphics cards to try...the RX 570 - which had the same problem.

And also a Nvidia 1050 Ti https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M360WG6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I installed the correct drivers first and to my joy its working straight away and looks great. So essentially my problem is solved part from for some reason the resolution on the clover load screen has now gone wonky but it corrects itself once it gets to OSX. Why might that be?

Im a little bummed coz this is only 4GB compared to the RX 580 8GB but I needed to stay in this budget of just under $200. and it seems an 8GB Nvidia card is almost double the price...are they better? why so much more?

Appreciate your time.

nvidia cards are not supported in Mojave and Catalina. If you get screen it is in VESA mode so you cannot use that for work in long term.
the RX570 is the same HW as the RX580 so i think you came to some monitor+gpu compatibility issue which i would bet can be solved
can you post your About this MAC picture?

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 12.02.56 PM.png

Just today the 1050 ti has started intermittently cutting out. If i remove the display port cable and re insert it works again. Obvs i cant be doing this all day.
Why may this be? its running with the correct driver for the OSX.

Its been perfect up until today -and also today there was a weird power cut in my house that cut weirdly specific things, the wifi router shut down and then the screen on my machine. Since then its been cutting to black. Annoying AF. thought i was fixed.

As you can see the boot/load up is stretched out horizontall....
IMG_2427.JPG

then once its booted OSX high sierra its fine...

IMG_2429.JPG

the resolution on clover can be set in the clover config and depends on the display connection dvi/hdmi/dp
try to reset nvram whatever technology of nvram you are using

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back