Contribute
Register

Gordo Guide: GA-P67A-UD3-B3 Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordo74 said:
Baoren said:
Hi there!
I tryed today to OC my 2600k for 1st time. Multiplier is at 42. I stated that system profiler still shows 3410 Mhz, so I looked on forum for a solution, and found this thread.

If I understand, to show up the correct speed is cosmetic. And of course I noticed an improvement on cinebench results. Still, I'd like to understand why cores speed is not properly showed, and if there is a way to fix this.

Thanks in advance!

Because OSX reports the stock speed. No way to change that.
I know I'm off topic but does the Firewire work in OSX on your Z68X-UD3H-B3?

I'm looking at getting one

Hi I'm getting a kernel panic whenever I try to shutdown my system after overclocking. What are your bios settings? I followed an overclock guide that told me to disable C1E, EIST, C3 C6 States, and CPU Thermal Monitor.

My system definition is Mac Pro 3.1, running 32 bit. Is there a way to run an overclocked system in 64 bit? I was running 64 before the overclock, but after the overclock it wasn't stable anymore in 64. Is there anything I need to change or try? It was stable before the overclock and never had a KP.

vboogs said:
Hi I'm getting a kernel panic whenever I try to shutdown my system after overclocking. What are your bios settings? I followed an overclock guide that told me to disable C1E, EIST, C3 C6 States, and CPU Thermal Monitor.

My system definition is Mac Pro 3.1, running 32 bit. Is there a way to run an overclocked system in 64 bit? I was running 64 before the overclock, but after the overclock it wasn't stable anymore in 64. Is there anything I need to change or try? It was stable before the overclock and never had a KP.
OCing in 64-bit shouldn't be a problem. I'm running 48x base clock in 64-bit 10.7.2 right now on the same motherboard. Which BIOS version are you using? F5 seems to be the best mix of stability and OC potential.

Regarding settings, this is a basic setup guide for the related UD4, but the same settings should work with your UD3 board: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2 ... i5-2500k/4 (Obviously, ignore the memory clock settings if your memory runs at a speed other than 1600MHz.)

overclock not showing up properly in system profiler... also, how can I verify that C1E states and speedstep is working properly?

jaspreets said:
overclock not showing up properly in system profiler... also, how can I verify that C1E states and speedstep is working properly?
There's no good way to do this in OSX directly. Indirectly, you can verify it by monitoring your system temperatures. If your system is stepping down properly when idle then the CPU idle temps should be rather low. You can also boot up into Windows/Linux and compare your CPU temps/states there to confirm.

I don't know how to check for C1E, but for speedstep you may use the MSRDumper kext.

I just changed the Turbo Multiplier to 42 across all the cores. No changes in anything else, like Vcore wattage limit, etc.

Geekbench:
1394-1460

Cinebench OpenGL:
Refrence Match - 99.3%
Score - 54.28 fps

Cinebench CPU:
7.86 fps

Never really gets above 65, and even then that's discrepancy between tools lol. In OSX I've never seen it hit 60. In windows it's never gone above 65 with the Hardware Monitor by the CPU-z folks. So who knows, motherboard has never warned for my 70c warning. Which makes me believe it's probably the OSX reading.

I did change cases from the Corsair 650T, to a Antec Solo II. You would think lesser cooling performance and more overall heat, but 100% opposite. Cooler GPU's now, and cooler CPU! The thermodynamics of the case are more sound than the goof balled corsair.

Anybody think it's worth overclocking more?? lol

I can't find "CPU Voltage calibrator"! Help me gordo! I have no idea where it is!

Is there anyone still on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back