Contribute
Register

Gordo Build: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with 5870/6870 (Guide Linked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gordo Build: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with 6870 (Guide Linked)

@Stork

thank you VERY much for your answers, muuuucccccchhh appreciated

Thank you for the link on the Gigabyte page, could you please help me to understand what H-B3 stand for? what the P stand for ? there is so many variation on a given card that I'm totaly lost

if I well understand your config third Hackintosh at
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=36296

is built around the same card as
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0050BGGBG/?tag=tonymacx8607-21

But, in any case you'll need a graphics card that will support 3 monitors. Download your candidate graphics cards user/reference manual and read the section on what combination of ports can be used to drive multiple monitors.
my plan is to purchase the Sapphire - Carte graphique ATI Radeon HD6870 - 1024 Mo GDRR5 - PCI-Express (as linked in my previous mail)
if I well understand I could have 1 screen on the HD6870 and 1 or 2 on the HD3000 of the mother board
does that make sens? I want the most power on the screen on the HD6870 to render my images and use the other 2 screen for palets and note pad (when I code)

The Gigabyte cards work OOB.
does OOB means Out of the Box? English is not my mother tongue. does that mean that with this combo (motherboard + GC) I will be able to install Lion smoothly?

thank you very much for your assistance

steffyK said:
...please help me to understand what H-B3 stand for? what the P stand for ? there is so many variation on a given card that I'm totally lost.
I understand your pain. :lol: I, too, had a difficult time with the dash model designations. I can tell you that the "H" in the dash designation stands for a HDMI port as part of the mobo's built-in Intel HD 3000 Integrated Graphics. However, as you can see from the Gigabyte matrix (see link in previous post), the newer mobos on the left side of the matrix have Integrated Graphics without the H designator. (I believe that Gigabyte created the matrix because the marketing guys screwed up naming the boards.)

The "B3" means that it's the mobo without the flawed Z68 chipset initially marketed in January 2011 - you want a B3 Gigabyte mobo. The good news is that those flawed mobos were recalled, and only the -B3 models are sold today.

Finally, I'll leave it to you and others to figure out what the "R" and "P" designators mean. :crazy:

steffyK said:
Yes. It's that same as Gordo's.

steffyK said:
my plan is to purchase the Sapphire - Carte graphique ATI Radeon HD6870 - 1024 Mo GDRR5 - PCI-Express (as linked in my previous mail)
if I well understand I could have 1 screen on the HD6870 and 1 or 2 on the HD3000 of the mother board
does that make sense? I want the most power on the screen on the HD6870 to render my images and use the other 2 screen for palets and note pad (when I code)
In your case, I would use a graphics card for all three monitors. IIRC, only Windows supports the use of both the on-board and a graphics card with a third party program. Be sure to confirm that the Sapphire card will support three monitors before buying it by going to Sapphire's web site, find the card's manual and download it and read it.

steffyK said:
Stork said:
The Gigabyte cards work OOB.
does OOB means Out of the Box?... does that mean that with this combo (motherboard + GC) I will be able to install Lion smoothly?
Yes, OOB = Out of the Box. As for your choice of the Sapphire card, I don't have any knowledge on the card. It did have an integration problem with earlier versions of Snow Leopard and MultiBeast, but that could be all in the past. I would suggest you search the forum for users who have the card and confirm it's usability with the latest Mac OS X. You have to be satisfied that it's the right card.

@Stork

first of all THANK you VERY much for all your asistance

ok, the card sold on amazon (previous link) is the same as your and Gordo, so I'm going to purchase this

now for the saphire card, I will check on their website

but the card seem to be liste on
wiki/index.php?title=Graphics_Card_Database

but here again hard to understand since it looks like there is variations of that card too

from my understanding the ATI Radeon HD6870 is a good choice for a hackintosh, but how to know what is what

for me it is better to have a Nvida card with CUDA (for using on Win7) but from my reading I understand that ATI is a better choice on Hackintosh world

anyway if you have anything to recomand that is available on amazon.fr, I'm a taker

now here is the rest of the config

what do you think?

ssd:crucial m4 128 Go
ram: Corsair XMS3 16 Go (4x 4 Go) DDR3 1333 MHz CL9
alim: Antec HCG - 520W
dvd :Samsung SH-222AB/BEBE or maybe the Sony - AD-7260S-0B - is a better choice
box : Cooler Master Silencio RC-550
ventirad : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
keyboard/mouse Logitech MK320
hdd : Diamon Max 7200.11 750 Go (I already own it)

how can I make sure that the saphire will fit the box?

thank you VERY much

The graphics cards listed in the tonymacx86 Recommended Builds and Components should work OOB. (See link in my signature block for the latest version of the tonymacx86 build info.) tonymacx86 now has lists of components in addition to recommend builds in his blog post.

I stick with the Gigabyte cards tonymacx86 recommends because I wouldn't know what to do with a card if it didn't work. However, Gordo74 has had success with his XFX 6870. Be sure to only buy the same model number unless you feel lucky. If you can't find the card at you favorite source, look through the User Builds section to see if someone has had success with the card you're thinking about purchasing.

About your build, go with the Sony or LG or Pioneer DVD drives. I can vouch for the Sony an LG drives. Be advised that Apple only supports Sony or Pioneer in it's desktops. Other manufacturers' drives have been known to cause installation and other problems. The only drawback to the Sony drive is it is noisy when reading/writing compared to my LG DVD drives.

Hi Stork

Thank you for your answer..

I have already passed the order... I'm still waiting some part but the saphire card well got in, I found on the user base that it should work OOB

be sure that as soon as I have putted together the part, I will lurk around

thank's again

First off, awesome build!!! I had chosen the same mono snd cpu before I even saw your post...:)...im just wondering what would some alternatives be on a less expensive compatiblevideo card?

@rjohnson82 as far as my studies enlightened me, you don't even need a graphic card with that MOBO;

for a cheap alternative, you can have a look at tomymacx86 config, there is cheaper graphic card that are fully compatible

at the end of the day, it all depends what you want to do with you computer

steffyK said:
@rjohnson82 as far as my studies enlightened me, you don't even need a graphic card with that MOBO;

for a cheap alternative, you can have a look at tomymacx86 config, there is cheaper graphic card that are fully compatible

Its mainly for audio and not video production and I know the cpu has the built in graphics, just wondering on th benefit/need of still having a graphics card...ima check the graphic cards database again..thanx

@rjohnson82
I'm far from the most skilled person here, but IMO if you don't deal with intensive graphic job or videogame, you don't need more that the stock video capacities of the MOBO

rjohnson82 said:
steffyK said:

Its mainly for audio and not video production and I know the cpu has the built in graphics, just wondering on th benefit/need of still having a graphics card...ima check the graphic cards database again..thanx

I don't believe you need a graphics card (you could use built in) for what you are doing.

A cheaper alternative would be the 6450 or 5770 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back