Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Thanks @pastrychef I have acheived success installing Ventura 13.6.1! I went through the entire opencore update process on dortania including the running plists comparison, ocvalidate, and updating the kexts.

There was an issue with the ethernet still after doing so. Probably what @quartarolo is/was experiencing. If it helps, what I had to do was include the kernel quirk DisableIoMapperMapping and set both it and DisableIoMapper to True. IntelMausiEthernet kext works with those two on while the IntelMausi kext doesn't. There were some other things I did that were different from the 0.9.3 build included at the beginning of this thread, but it was mainly just following the full update process to 0.9.6. I'll post back if I have any further issues, but it looks good. Happy holidays everyone.

From the opencore configuration guide:

View attachment 575290

Do you have VT-d and VT-x enabled in BIOS?

Do you have VT-d and VT-x enabled in BIOS?
VT-d yes, as I thought this was preferable. I don't know what VT-x is or even where to find it in the BIOSS menu.

VT-d yes, as I thought this was preferable. I don't know what VT-x is or even where to find it in the BIOSS menu.

If VT-d is enabled, VT-x is probably already enabled.

Charlie-Brown-christmas.jpg

Merry Christmas @pastrychef! I have a quick question. I have a build very similar to yours for which I have been using your OC settings. I have just upgraded to Sonoma and have a question regarding WiFi. Did you end up patching BCM94360CS2 with OCLP or moving to an Intel-based PCI like the ones shared here? I tried applying the patches with OCLP, but I am unable too boot into MacOS despite following the instructions here. I am considering getting an Intel WiFi card, aware that I will not have Apple continuity support. What do you recommend?

Merry Christmas @pastrychef! I have a quick question. I have a build very similar to yours for which I have been using your OC settings. I have just upgraded to Sonoma and have a question regarding WiFi. Did you end up patching BCM94360CS2 with OCLP or moving to an Intel-based PCI like the ones shared here? I tried applying the patches with OCLP, but I am unable too boot into MacOS despite following the instructions here. I am considering getting an Intel WiFi card, aware that I will not have Apple continuity support. What do you recommend?

I have never tried using Intel Wi-Fi on any of my hacks. OCLP works fine with the BCM94360CS2. I followed the same set of instructions to get Wi-Fi working. I don't know why it isn't working for you... Where does it stop when you boot in verbose mode?

Thanks a lot @pastrychef.

I was finally able to make it work after reviewing and recreating the whole config.plist. I made a few changes and I am not sure what fixed it. Could it have to do with having set DisableIoMapperMapping to True?

Also, on your Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming thread, @snoopy69 shared an EFI with a PDF recommending to re-enable SIP and secure boot, to only disable it for when performing mac updates. Do you recommend taking a similar approach to reduce the time SIP and AMFI are disabled?

Thanks a lot @pastrychef.

I was finally able to make it work after reviewing and recreating the whole config.plist. I made a few changes and I am not sure what fixed it. Could it have to do with having set DisableIoMapperMapping to True?

Also, on your Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming thread, @snoopy69 shared an EFI with a PDF recommending to re-enable SIP and secure boot, to only disable it for when performing mac updates. Do you recommend taking a similar approach to reduce the time SIP and AMFI are disabled?

No. I'm too lazy to constantly disable/enable SIP and Secure Boot again and again. Considering how Apple has been releasing new macOS updates almost monthly, it ends up being quite a lot of reboots...

After a few days, I was able to fine-tune my OC settings. I noticed that while running MacOS with SIP and SecureBoot disabled, Firefox and some other apps wouldn't work well. Investigating a bit more, I discovered that I had to remove amfi=0x80 from boot-args, and inject AMFIPass.kext instead (source). Doing so, I was able to have a stable system and keep Broadcom WiFI support when booting with SIP and SecureBoot enabled.

@pastrychef I have taken the liberty to prepare a new .zip file for others to use for OpenCore 0.9.7. It follows your standard format, feel free to add it to the first post. It's main differences to your 0.9.3 release are:

• Updated all kext to their latest versions.
  • Included AMFIPass.kext (source).
  • Included IOSkywalkFamily.kext, I.O80211FamilyLegacy.kext, AirPortBrcmNIC.kext (source).
  • Replaced IntelMausiEthernet.kext with IntelMausi.kext (source).
  • Allowed IOSkywalk downgrade (source).
  • Removed AQuantia AQtion support (as it was giving me errors with OC validate and I don't use the card).
  • Included support for booting Linux from OC (enabling OpenLinuxBoot.efi and ext4_x64.efi).
  • LauncherOption set to Full to force Opencore to be prioritized in BIOS upon nvram resets.

The config.plist within the shared OC directory is set to keep SIP and Secure boot enabled. For safety reasons, I much prefer to follow @snoopy69's advise and use a bootable USB to temporary disable the two features when major upgrades are needed (details on PDF inside their .zip attachment here).

If anyone wants to disable SIP and SecureBoot to install root patches with OpenCore-Patcher, they might replace
EFI/OC/config.plist with the "No SIP No SecureBoot - config.plist" also included in the zip.

Attachments

• EFI OpenCore 0.9.7 Z390M.zip
    19.9 MB · Views: 33
Back