Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys. So I've received a notice from NewEgg that my replacement Asus P8P67 PRO is ready to ship out. My system has been running really well (nearly no KPs and everything except for sleep works). Of course, that may not be true when the vanilla kernel is available (hopefully this week?).

But, I may have the option to swap for a Gigabyte board when those arrive if I wait for a bit (after Gigabyte owners get theirs).

Seems like both are solid but I've also heard complaints about Asus's boards having some issues (that I thought BIOS updates fixed?)...

Any opinions favoring Gigabyte over Asus one way or the other?

JoshNYC said:
Any opinions favoring Gigabyte over Asus one way or the other?

I would appreciate thoughts on this as well. I have a working Gigabyte Sandy Bridge System (see profile/signature) but am wondering if I should jump ship to Asus.

Working: Almost everything (Audio, Network, Graphics, USB, FireWire Card PCI card, BlueTooth dongle)

Not working: Sleep

Strange issues: Motherboard seems to restart unexpectedly sometimes right after post, and almost always if I tap a boot option key more than twice. The BIOS has unexpectedly and inexplicably reverted to the original version several times(though not recently). The BIOS issue seems to be very common(Google Search) and unrelated to Hackintoshing.

Mouse also stutters about 3% of the time.

Other thoughts: It was fairly easy(thanks to these forums) to get a stable build on my Gigabyte motherboard, so if Asus is any less compatible I will be disappointed. I may at least want to downgrade to a cheaper Gigabyte MotherBoard...I went with the UD4 because of the eSata ports, but they don't work in OS X, and I'm not sure I need them anyway. Does the Asus have more SATA ports, and are there any compatible expansion cards to add SATA ports for the Gigabyte boards?

zeeko30 said:
Working: Almost everything (Audio, Network, Graphics, USB, FireWire Card PCI card, BlueTooth dongle)

Not working: Sleep
I've built several Gigabyte Hacks over the last few years and never got any of them to sleep properly. Of course, never got any non-Gigabyte systems to sleep, either, but maybe that's just me.

I guess we're going to learn a lot more when vanilla is available (soon hopefully... so I can stop checking that dang 10.6 update page heh).

I had a similar double-POST issue with the Asus PRO until I did a BIOS update early fairly soon after I bought it. I'd like to hear what other's experience has been but my feeling is that the Asus has been good... just wondering if the Gigabyte has been better ;)

JoshNYC said:
I'd like to hear what other's experience has been but my feeling is that the Asus has been good... just wondering if the Gigabyte has been better ;)

Are you able to use all 8 SATA ports on your Asus board with your Hack? The 6 I have are working but I could sure use some more....

I am also going to buy a sandy bridge 2500k and i have this dilemma about the motherboard! On the one side i have ASUS P8P67 PRO (rev. B3) and to the other side a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3.

Which one would be most supported by the community and the most promising for the future?

Why is the sleep function so difficult to get it working on any motherboard?

Any Mb 100% working?

kolios13 said:
I am also going to buy a sandy bridge 2500k and i have this dilemma about the motherboard! On the one side i have ASUS P8P67 PRO (rev. B3) and to the other side a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3.

Which one would be most supported by the community and the most promising for the future?

Why is the sleep function so difficult to get it working on any motherboard?

Any Mb 100% working?

100% here. Sabertooth is just a pro with some hardware from the Maximus.

I use a £15 PCI-e card for eSata.

Sleep works too, but there is an Intel P6 bug which effects both OS X and Windows (sleep for too long = black screen upon resume).

My replacement (B3) P8P67 PRO seems to be working great for me. Only thing that doesn't seem to be working is sleep (even short-term).

Gordo74 said:
From what I've seen, Asus boards arent locked to the 32x multiplier that gigabyte boards are. Some Asus users are reporting able to use up to 48x without problems as a base frequency.

Good news - just noticed a post in the SB Performance thread:

viewtopic.php?p=106865#p106865

stylusrowm is using a 4Ghz clock on a UD4 :¬)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back