Contribute
Register

GigaByte GA-H81M-HD2 + Core i3 + Yosemite - General questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac > Need model and year > See Forum Rules!
CPU
Intel > Need full CPU model name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
> Need model name > See Forum Rules!
Help for first GigaByte GA-H81M-HD2 build

Hello, I just setup my very first Hackintosh. I'm very excited. I have some general questions. First, here are my specs:

Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-HD2
CPU: Intel Core i3-4360 Haswell Dual-Core 3.7GHz LGA 1150
Memory: 1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Display: Old Acer 19" DVI interface
Storage: SSD 128GB
Bluetooth: IOGEAR GBU521 USB Bluetooth 4.0
Wireless:
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800
Video: Intel HD Graphics 4600

1) I wasn't able to find some of the BIOS recommendations CFG-Lock, Secure Boot Mode, Other OS. I'm sure this varies by motherboard. Are they called different things? Perhaps they are are sitting right in front of me. Any link to share for BIOS settings for my family of GigaByte boards?

2) I notice on boot, at some point, the screen displays garbage and after a bit, returns to the progress bar before loading the finder. What is causing that garbage to show up and can I eliminate it?

3) When I used the finder Shutdown, the PC case/fan, etc didn't shut down. Not the end of the world to manually hit the power button. Do I need to alter my BIOS to address that?

4) VT-d is recommended to be shut off. That relates to running virtual machines? What if I want to run VirtualBox or Fusion? Keep it off?

5) The BIOS has a setting for the amount of RAM to assign to the video. It is set to 64MB. Does Mac OS X override that? I think I saw a GB of RAM under 'About This Mac'

6) When we get notices that there is an OS update/Appe store update, how safe is it to do that? Should I train myself NOT to do any updates? Obviously continue with updates to specific apps.

7) Finally, below are my MultiBeast config. Advice?

MultiBeast Configuration -
Quick Start > DSDT Free
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC887/888b Current v100302 Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.10.x TRIM Patch Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328
Drivers > Misc > USB 3.0 - Universal
Drivers > Network > Realtek > RealtekRTL8111 v1.2.2 Bootloaders > Chimera v4.0.1
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop Customize > Boot Options > Kext Dev Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1 Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 White

Thanks so much!!!

Carlos

An additional question.
I decided to get 1x 8GB for now. Once I get another 1 x 8GB for a total of 16GB dual channel, how much of a performance bump does that provide in terms of using dual channel?

Hello, I just setup my very first Hackintosh. I'm very excited. I have some general questions. First, here are my specs:

Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-HD2
CPU: Intel Core i3-4360 Haswell Dual-Core 3.7GHz LGA 1150
Memory: 1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Display: Old Acer 19" DVI interface
Storage: SSD 128GB
Bluetooth: IOGEAR GBU521 USB Bluetooth 4.0
Wireless:
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800
Video: Intel HD Graphics 4600

1) I wasn't able to find some of the BIOS recommendations CFG-Lock, Secure Boot Mode, Other OS. I'm sure this varies by motherboard. Are they called different things? Perhaps they are are sitting right in front of me. Any link to share for BIOS settings for my family of GigaByte boards?

Some of the terminology differs between brands - most of what you mention will be in Asus, MSI and ASRock UEFI/BIOS

2) I notice on boot, at some point, the screen displays garbage and after a bit, returns to the progress bar before loading the finder. What is causing that garbage to show up and can I eliminate it?

There are patches that Clover and Chameleon users can apply where they are using Intel graphics that feature this graphical glitch - its something that is purely cosmetic and is probably on a quite big 'to do list'. At present there are some more pressing issues that need to be attended to to keep people running OS X on PC hardware that Devs, Mods and Administraters are dealing with. Have patience.:thumbup:

3) When I used the finder Shutdown, the PC case/fan, etc didn't shut down. Not the end of the world to manually hit the power button. Do I need to alter my BIOS to address that?

Use MultiBeast and select this single option to see if it helps. Drivers > Misc > EvOreboot

4) VT-d is recommended to be shut off. That relates to running virtual machines? What if I want to run VirtualBox or Fusion? Keep it off?

Its not used in OS X at all and does at present not appear on any Intel i3 processor. It is not needed for Windows either. Safe to disable where available

5) The BIOS has a setting for the amount of RAM to assign to the video. It is set to 64MB. Does Mac OS X override that? I think I saw a GB of RAM under 'About This Mac'

Its the correct setting. Not sure exactly how it works - my first thought was that it was to allow the OS to use video RAM in blocks/steps of 64MB at a time. I don't know how it works - only that it does.

6) When we get notices that there is an OS update/Appe store update, how safe is it to do that? Should I train myself NOT to do any updates? Obviously continue with updates to specific apps.

Generally safe - however it is best to use the Combination update (combo update). TMX will post a page with link to the Combo update at the App Store. There will be instructions on the procedure to use. See here for Mavericks 10.9.2:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/125939-os-x-10-9-2-update.html

7) Finally, below are my MultiBeast config. Advice?

MultiBeast Configuration -
Quick Start > DSDT Free
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC887/888b Current v100302 Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.10.x TRIM Patch Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328
Drivers > Misc > USB 3.0 - Universal
Drivers > Network > Realtek > RealtekRTL8111 v1.2.2 Bootloaders > Chimera v4.0.1
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop Customize > Boot Options > Kext Dev Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1 Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 White

You do not need to use the USB 3 option. What is the screen resolution of your monitor?

An additional question.
I decided to get 1x 8GB for now. Once I get another 1 x 8GB for a total of 16GB dual channel, how much of a performance bump does that provide in terms of using dual channel?

The most important thing is to match RAM specifications as much as possible. I prefer to use only match pairs or sets as it gives less potential problems IMO.

Massive help! I will play around and report back in a few days!
Thanks
Carlos

The screen resolution is 1440x900.

You said not to use USB, but the motherboard supports USB 3.0. Should I still not use it?

Thanks

The screen resolution is 1440x900.

You said not to use USB, but the motherboard supports USB 3.0. Should I still not use it?

Thanks

You can use Chameleon Wizard to set the native resolution of your monitor. Only select the screen resolution that you want - nothing else.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=235

The USB3 kext is to help with older hardware boards and really offers nothing positive for users using Ivy Bridge and newer hardware. It is better to use only the native AppleUSB kexts.
It is possible to remove this by going to System/Library/Extensions and removing the unwanted kext to the trash. Empty trash.

I installed everything on to a 120GB SSD.
I want to move the OS over to a 230GB SSD.

I tried both Carbon Copy and Super Duper.... the OS files seemed to have copied correctly but when the machine starts, I don't see an option to boot off my 230GB drive.

What am I missing?

Also, what would be the USB KEXT called that got installed that I should remove?

Thanks

carlitto what setting did you use on the bios page?

im trying to get the installer screen but my computer keeps getting stuck on the apple logo. it loads and keeps loading and never reacher the installer. we have the same mother board and cpu. SSD drive and all.

im just confused.

I installed everything on to a 120GB SSD.
I want to move the OS over to a 230GB SSD.

I tried both Carbon Copy and Super Duper.... the OS files seemed to have copied correctly but when the machine starts, I don't see an option to boot off my 230GB drive.

What am I missing?

Also, what would be the USB KEXT called that got installed that I should remove?

Thanks

CCC will clone the data, but not the EFI, it makes it, however it doesn't clone it, so just first mount the EFI from the 120g ssd. then copy its contents to your desktop

clone the drive with CCC to the 230, REINSTALL CLOVER, then copy the contents of your EFI directory from your desktop back to the newer 230gb EFI partition (mount it with cloverconfigurator) then if you name the volume the same as before you won't have to mess with the boot options/themes etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back