Contribute
Register

Geforce 5xx displayport to mini displayport ( ACD 27" ) does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP 8300 SFF
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
HI all!

Im about to build my first hackintosh. Im going to use it with my Apple Cinema Display 27" ( Mini displayport ) I would like to use a Geforce 550 or 560.

If i get a Displayport to mini displayport adapter, will my hackintosh work with my cinema 27" then? anyone have done it?

I know I could get a 6870 with mini displayport, but I dont know how good it works with mountaion lion, I think the 550 or 560 Is more future proof and easyer to get work?

What do you guys think about it?

HI all!

Im about to build my first hackintosh. Im going to use it with my Apple Cinema Display 27" ( Mini displayport ) I would like to use a Geforce 550 or 560.

If i get a Displayport to mini displayport adapter, will my hackintosh work with my cinema 27" then? anyone have done it?

I know I could get a 6870 with mini displayport, but I dont know how good it works with mountaion lion, I think the 550 or 560 Is more future proof and easyer to get work?

What do you guys think about it?

Neither card is "future proof", that's a fools errand in any case. What ever you get will be demolished by the next graphics chip to come down the line.

The 550 was not a powerful card even when it was a current card. The 560 was a very good midrange card, but they are releasing the 660 sometime in the next couple of weeks. However, it will be in the $300-350 range vs $170-220. You can probably get some sort of a 570 for not a lot more money than a 560, $240-260 and that is a significantly more powerful card.

Assuming the card you get doesn't have a display port of some sort and you hook it up to a DVI port, you will need a Dual-Link DVI to display port adaptor, which will be at least somewhat more expensive.

Thanks for the answer.

About displayports, If I get a card with displayport ( not mini ) then I can just use the Displayport to mini displayport right?

Thanks for the answer.

About displayports, If I get a card with displayport ( not mini ) then I can just use the Displayport to mini displayport right?

You can get cables with the full sized display port on one end and the mini-DP on the other. If you already have a DP cable, then there are adapters as well. The Mini is just a smaller version of the full sized one.

It was created as a license free alternative to HDMI which is encumbered by a number of licensing issues and of course Hollywood's obsession with DRM.

I have a 6870 and Cinema Display 27", works just without adapters or such.

And the difference between a HD 6870 and a GTX 560 is not that big and they are both not really futureproof, just like a GTX 670,680 or even the GTX 690 is not future proof.

I'm using ACD 27 with Gigabyte HD6850. As you know it has normal size displayport. I have bought Kanex Display port male to mini Display port female adapter at my local apple retailer. Everything works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back