Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
R9 280X
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello,

I recently and successfully built my first Hackintosh with the help of this great community. Almost everything seems to be working perfectly with a few hickups that I'm hoping some more experience users could point me in the right direction toward resolving.

1. The included Wifi/Bluetooth card.
I don't care about the Wifi, but the bluetooth seems so close to working that it's killing me... The OS recognizes it, but I can't pair with any devices. I have read that others have this same experience, I'm hoping that we can get a resolution in this thread for anyone wanting to use this. Since the device is showing up and seems to be almost working, I'm assuming that adding the DeviceID/VendorID to a Info.plist is not the solution. I have read that it worked OOB for someone... Does anyone have any other ideas?​

2. CPU temps and FakeSMC
I'd really like to get CPU temps to show up. Is there a way? From my research, I though adding the FameSMC Plugins in multibeast would help, but as soon as I did this, I got a kernel panic and had to do a fresh re-install of ML to get back to a stable state. Any threads I've seen with multibeast help for these Mobos didn't even include the FakeSMC. Could someone explain? (the help for FakeSMC says it's the only mandatory kext). Has anyone gotten access to the CPU temperature from ML with this motherboard? if so, please point me in the right direction.​

3. other noob questions
When I turn on my machine, I get the Mobo menu for a couple seconds, then go to the boot screen with the TonyMac logo and progress bar, then to Apple logo, then to login screen. Is there a way to skip the first two?

RAM: in system profiler, my ram shows as 16GB @ 1333 MHz, anyway to get this to the 1600 MHz?​

Any help with any of these would be very appreciated, and I hope they'll help someone else.

applicable build details:
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
Intel i7 3770S
EVGA GeForce GT 640
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB ram (4x4GB)

Update on the CPU temps:
I retried FakeSMC Plugins with the Motherboard Plugin selected, this time using Multibeast 5.0.2. No Kernel Panic and now all the mobo stats just show up in iStat Pro :headbang:

Bluetooth adapter card
spent all evening on this last night, including trying to add the ProductID and VendorID to IOBluetoothFamily.kext, installing a different kext, scouring thru blued.log to find any errors (no errors, just finds 0 devices), using Bluetooth Explorer to try a few other things. Got nowhere unfortunately... At this point I think I'm in over my head with troubleshooting it. Hopefully someone smarter figures out what the issue is sometime, but I gave up and ordered a dongle.

I ordered this Kinivio dongle, it worked out of the box, except for waking up from sleep... In fact having it plugged in seems to cause wake right after going to sleep. I've seen posts about things to try to remedy this, but I'm not going to worry about it right now since I don't use sleep. That's the beauty of the SSD :)

Hello,
2. CPU temps and FakeSMC
I'd really like to get CPU temps to show up. Is there a way? From my research, I though adding the FameSMC Plugins in multibeast would help, but as soon as I did this, I got a kernel panic and had to do a fresh re-install of ML to get back to a stable state. Any threads I've seen with multibeast help for these Mobos didn't even include the FakeSMC. Could someone explain? (the help for FakeSMC says it's the only mandatory kext). Has anyone gotten access to the CPU temperature from ML with this motherboard? if so, please point me in the right direction.​
)

Same board (GA-Z77X-UP5 TH) and different processor (i7-2600) for me, but no issue getting temperature readings, no Kernel panics...

Using MB 5.0.2, I did not check FakeSMC per se, since it gets done with DSDT-Free installation (I think).
And I added:
- Motherboard Plugins
- AMD Radeon Plugin
- HWMonitor Application

Using HWMonitor, I get all temps as well as two fan Speeds, some voltages, CPU real-time frequencies

Memory Speed Update:
found this in Advanced Memory Settings in the UEFI bios. set X.M.S. to Profile 1. now I'm getting the 1600 MHz speed

Thanks for this hint, I was stuck at 1300Mhz

It took me a while to find the setting, it's in M.I.T. (left side in the UEFI settings screen):
M.I.T > Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) = Profile 1

Thanks for this hint, I was stuck at 1300Mhz

It took me a while to find the setting, it's in M.I.T. (left side in the UEFI settings screen):
M.I.T > Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) = Profile 1

Took me a while to figure that out too!

One thing I can't understand is the memory performance boost option in the memory config screen.

It has 3 settings, Normal, Turbo and Extreme with Turbo being the default setting.

I ran a whole load of geekbench tests on different RAM settings - eg. RAM at 1600Mhz - Normal , 1600Mhz - Turbo, 1600Mhz - Extreme, I even tried the 3 perfomance settings with the XMP profile disabled (ie. 1300Mhz). In each case I ran geekbench 4 times and averaged the results (as geeebench scores in my experience seem to vary a little from one minute to the next).

These tests clearly showed that the following had the best score: XMP enabled (1600Mhz) - Normal performance boost.

Very counter-intuitive if you ask me, particularly as Turbo is the default setting, but I may well be missing the point as to how its all supposed to work!

If you didn't get the RAM speed to display correctly try upgrading the BIOS after downloading from the Gigabyte website. I think (though my memory is fuzzy) this is how I fixed this problem. I am now running BIOS F9. The board shipped with F4.

Regarding bluetooth... I think I've read in the GA-Z77XUP5 TH success thread that people who dual boot with Windows can get the stock bluetooth card to work. Just get the drivers installed under Windows and make sure it is working correctly there and then it will likely work in Mountain Lion without any additional steps needed.

Personally I have not tried it since I do not have any bluetooth hardware that I wish to pair with the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back