Contribute
Register

GA-Z77X-UP4-TH vs GA-Z77X-UP5-TH

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks okinawanmatt for the info
going link your post to UP4 USB 3.0 ports on my table

all USB3.0 ports on UP5 work perfect?

I'm on the rush on getting one or the other...i'll get the UP4 if the UP5 has the same issues on usb, but it seems that this is not the case.
Anyone can finalize on this? Is - compatibility wise - the UP5 better than the UP4?
Thanks anyone!

Hello All

Are there any updates on this?

I am about to buy a UP4 because the UP5 is harder to get, and about €100 more. But i rather spend more and get a solid working board. I get a little confused by all the posts i read here on Tony's. Especially on what USB ports do work, and what 3.0 ports only work as 2.0 etc.

This is my about-to-buy thread.

Hello All

I am about to buy a UP4 because the UP5 is harder to get, and about €100 more. But i rather spend more and get a solid working board. I get a little confused by all the posts i read here on Tony's. Especially on what USB ports do work, and what 3.0 ports only work as 2.0 etc.

The UP4 is not in the current buyers guide because of this USB issue that the UP5 doesn't have. The UP4 will
still work. You could just use a case with more front USB 2 and/or USB3 connections. Take a look at the Fractal Design
R4 case for one with more front USB ports. It should be as quiet as the corsair case. You do still also have two T.Bolt
ports on the UP4 as well. Those can be daisy chained.

Read this comparison article for more info.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/gigabyte_z77/

Hello All

I jumped on the UP4-TH first, a few minutes after the CustoMac buyer's guide was published. With a few of our reviews, he finally removed UP4-TH from the list of recommended mobos, but only after 3 weeks when we all realized that the drivers were never going to be published. At least he apologized to us who jumped on the bandwagon, but now I'm stuck with a mobo that doesn't support 4 of the USB ports.

So with the UP4-TH, you will have two working USB 3.0 ports, while all the other USB ports will not work. However, there are two USB 2.0 headers and one USB 3.0 header on the mobo itself, so you can add three cards (or front USB connectors) to complement the lack of USB ports. For example, I have two USB 3.0 ports on the front of my chasis that plugs into the motherboard, and two USB 2.0 cards that plug into my mobo.

Also to note, all USB ports work in Windows and Linux. Only Mac OS X cannot utilize some of the USB ports.

In lieu of the UP4-TH, you can get the more expensive Gigabyte UP5-TH. But if you don't need the thuderbolt ports, why not just get the Z77x-UD5H? It's got more ports than the UP4-TH, it's cheaper, and it's fully supported (but it doesn't support thunderbolt).

One thing to note: I missed the fact that the UP4-TH does NOT have wake-on-lan capabilities. It's something I use on all my machines, and I completely overlooked it because I was in dire need of building a new rig. Read all the specs. before you make a purchase.

Thanks for posting, thi is also my thema, i am also quite confuse and you seem to know more in detail the Qualities of the motherboard.

we all know this is not eas and we must do a real efford to get what we want ,
i want to work hard on video editing that is my goel , i am tired to create a clip with 20 or 25 glowing text effects and have to wait 7 minutes to render each time i move one text just a little.

i do this on a MAC BOOK PRO a few years old and still does the Job but is so annoying slow. so i plan to build a machine using the "GA-Z77X-UP5 TH" so now i am looking for it. as far as ai know its been quite TESTED yeah ? i basically want this one becase of the Thunderbolt feature which it "SOUND" very easy to use and really offer expand capabilities as plug in alot of different divioces to it.

can you please comment

thanks you!

i basically want this one becase of the Thunderbolt feature which it "SOUND" very easy to use and really offer expand capabilities as plug in alot of different divioces to it.

I work with After Effects and Premiere quite a lot.

The Gigabyte UP5-TH is the motherboard you should purchase if you want thunderbolt compatibility. The motherboard itself is compatible with OS X, so there should be very little modification you need to do to get it working. It's better than the UP4-TH.

To get rid of any choke-points on your rig, do the following:
1) Don't set your program to render after each frame adjustment. Use wires or another type of representation and batch-render afterwards.
2) Your main storage drive should be an SSD, not a traditional hard drive. Scratch drives should be SSD as well if you're in a professional environment. Otherwise it should be a minimum 7200RPM HDD or a RAID configuration through SATA/eSATA/FireWire/Thunderbolt.
3) Provide enough RAM (16GB minimum)
4) Purchase a Core i7 with hyper-threading so you can utilize all cores while rendering.

If you'd like an alternative to thunderbolt, you can use eSATA, USB 3.0 or FireWire. Although USB 3.0 seems to have an advantage over eSATA because you can plug multiple USB devices into one port (and because of the speed), Apple recommends the use of Thunderbolt, FireWire or eSATA over USB 3.0 because any USB plug will interrupt CPU cycles in order to process commands and transfers. The Z77x-UD5h is cheaper cheaper than the UP5-TH, but it's missing thunderbolt ports: However, if you're planning to add external drives, you can always purchase FireWire or eSATA cards to expand your motherboard rather than using thunderbolt ports that come built-in.

I jumped on the UP4-TH first, a few minutes after the CustoMac buyer's guide was published. With a few of our reviews, he finally removed UP4-TH from the list of recommended mobos, but only after 3 weeks when we all realized that the drivers were never going to be published. At least he apologized to us who jumped on the bandwagon, but now I'm stuck with a mobo that doesn't support 4 of the USB ports.

So with the UP4-TH, you will have two working USB 3.0 ports, while all the other USB ports will not work. However, there are two USB 2.0 headers and one USB 3.0 header on the mobo itself, so you can add three cards (or front USB connectors) to complement the lack of USB ports. For example, I have two USB 3.0 ports on the front of my chasis that plugs into the motherboard, and two USB 2.0 cards that plug into my mobo.

Also to note, all USB ports work in Windows and Linux. Only Mac OS X cannot utilize some of the USB ports.

In lieu of the UP4-TH, you can get the more expensive Gigabyte UP5-TH. But if you don't need the thuderbolt ports, why not just get the Z77x-UD5H? It's got more ports than the UP4-TH, it's cheaper, and it's fully supported (but it doesn't support thunderbolt).

One thing to note: I missed the fact that the UP4-TH does NOT have wake-on-lan capabilities. It's something I use on all my machines, and I completely overlooked it because I was in dire need of building a new rig. Read all the specs. before you make a purchase.

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Yes, i want thunderbolt ports, for future expansion. Like HD's or audio and video interfaces.

The problem is though, that the UP5 is hard to find in the Netherlands. They are not on the lists in online stores, or they are out of stock.

If my search for a UP5 get stuck, i have to use the UP4 and try to make it work with the current driver and do as you say, make connections to the MOB to the outside world.

You say that there are TWO more USB2.0 headers on the motherboard. But i see that there are THREE USB2.0 headers on the motherboard, close to each other; named F_USB1, F_USB2, F_USB3. (And there is a USB3.0 header).
Or am i mistaken? Which is very likely because i just jumped in this wagon...

Here is another thread about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back