Contribute
Register

GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
getting a rx580 would solve this, but, from what I read, it's a very minor or zero upgrade to the 970 ...

Yeah, I got an RX580, I've always used AMD cards since Apple has supported them the whole time. I would probably have gone with Nvidia otherwise.

Good to know about the open core and updates.... Gonna be anxious to get started on my next build.

So I finally swapped out the 970 for a refurbished sapphire nitro+ rx580. https://www.newegg.ca/sapphire-radeon-rx-580-11265-99-90g/p/N82E16814202379?Item=N82E16814202379

I went pretty bold with this Opencore 0.6.0 system:

- swap nvidia 970 for the amd rx580
- boot into high sierra, 0 issues with the 580 out of the box works.
- removed nvidia drivers
- upgraded to catalina using the app store
- typical native macOS install, all went absolutely fine (thank god)

Only issue I had was with wacom drivers and security : https://www.wacom.com/en-jp/support...er-for-Mac-OS-10.15-Catalina?&guideId=015-916

Finally "dark mode", and free from all the NVIDIA nonsense.

Way to go man!

I'm gonna build a new rig using Opencore.

Here is a thread I started looking for component suggestions.

Check out my thread

I was watching Paul Chato's channel (Makes me laugh, what can I say), and he showed how he upgrades opencore versions. It's in this video that he was on the opencore dortania documentation site and I noticed that there was sfinally a sandy section there, :)

This led me to geek out a bit, I experimented with changing the system definition to something that would be compatible with Big Sur.

I used MacPro6,1 with opencore 0.6.1 and I can't really see a difference at all.

There's always the hardware acceleration that I'm not sure of. SandyBridge iGPU isn't compatible as was said here before.

Aside from that, can't see any issues yet.

So, don't freak out for Bug Sur yet, this workhorse still has some years ahead of it.

Last edited:
Wow... I'm impressed you got Big Sur to work on this hardware. That's cool. Vintage tech now. lol

Oh I'm gonna keep this rig around until it finally gives up... But I've been wanting to build another hack for sometime. Prolly still gonna be six months or so before I dive in.

@rocco_77 : No I didn;t do the BigSur update yet.

But when it lands, the goal is to do a native normal update like a mac.

0.6.1 is supposed to handle big sur, as people are running betas apparently.

Realistically, will probably update to the latest OC version and do the native update from the app store.

Big Sur was finally released, and took the plunge "early" as usual. :thumbup:

I did the update from a working Catalina 10.5.7 that I previously updated to Opencore 0.6.3 from 0.6.2 (haven't posted 0.6 versions because it's an older board that few people seem to use anymore)

That being said, in case there are lurkers, I'm sharing it here. Only serials need to be changed.

Opencore 0.6.3 was a bit more involved on the Opencore side, but that's to be expected. The jump from 10.x to 11 is a departure no doubt, and there were more updates than previous point releases, took me a couple hard fails to get it working.

I've moved away from using opencore's bootpicker entirely.

OpenCanopy's really slick, and I would have loved to keep using it but since I dual boot with windows, it messed with the activation, and Game Pass for PC.

So I'm dual booting using the UEFI (bios) drive picker, where windows doesn't think it's a macpro 6,1 :p

As far as BigSur is concerned, I "just" booted it. Everything checks out so far, Not sure about the look, but that's personal.

It's really smooth, no regrets on the rx580 whatsoever too.

Attachments

• opencore_0.6.3_GA-Z68XP-UD3P_v01.zip
    19.8 MB · Views: 165
Great job man!! I'm going to be building a new system, but I'm going to reference your work here with Opencore.

I put up a thread for feedback on component choices for my new system if you care to take a look and offer your opinion?

Opinions on New Build

Big Sur was finally released, and took the plunge "early" as usual. :thumbup:

I did the update from a working Catalina 10.5.7 that I previously updated to Opencore 0.6.3 from 0.6.2 (haven't posted 0.6 versions because it's an older board that few people seem to use anymore)

That being said, in case there are lurkers, I'm sharing it here. Only serials need to be changed.

Opencore 0.6.3 was a bit more involved on the Opencore side, but that's to be expected. The jump from 10.x to 11 is a departure no doubt, and there were more updates than previous point releases, took me a couple hard fails to get it working.

I've moved away from using opencore's bootpicker entirely.

OpenCanopy's really slick, and I would have loved to keep using it but since I dual boot with windows, it messed with the activation, and Game Pass for PC.

So I'm dual booting using the UEFI (bios) drive picker, where windows doesn't think it's a macpro 6,1 :p

As far as BigSur is concerned, I "just" booted it. Everything checks out so far, Not sure about the look, but that's personal.

It's really smooth, no regrets on the rx580 whatsoever too.

You're my hero! I have almost the exact same hardware and this saved me a ton of time. It's not actually working. It gets 3/4 of the way through the boot and hangs, but all I need to do now is figure out how to boot open core in verbose mode and I'm sure I'll figure it out. Thanks for sharing!

I was trying to change config.plist settings to get verbosity working. When trying another reboot it finally booted all the way through. Not exactly sure why. But come to find out, it was only booting into recovery and when launching Disk Utility from there, it doesn't even see my Mojave startup volume. And then when rebooting back with my clover usb drive, it seems the Mac App store is now broken. Good times. More searching…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back