Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2-F11
CPU
i5-760
Graphics
9800 GT
I just put together my first Hackintosh (actually my first DYI computer) and I am slowly but surely working out the various issues thanks in part to these boards.

Currently I am trying to figure out an issue with the audio out. I am getting a constant hum and other random noises (almost sounds like the noises old modems made) when I mouse around and click stuff and even when it is just sitting mostly idle. At first I thought it might be an issue with the audio cable I was using so I ordered a new one but that didn't help. I get the noise through all the working audio ports. I am using a 3.5mm male to male audio cable because my HDTV doesn't have an optical in. I've tested the TV and the cable with other inputs and it is fine. Strange thing is I don't get the noise when I connect a pair of very cheap (> $10) headphones to the Hackintosh. Also it makes these noises and the hum no matter what the volume is set to.

Using MultiBeast 3.2.0 I selected the following options during setup:
UserDSDT with the DSDT file for the GA-P55M-UD2 (F11)
All System Utilities
ALC8xxHDA
AppleHDA Rollback
JMicron36x SATA

Any suggestions?

I have the same MB as you and do not have a hum.

I can only think of two things. First, something isn't grounded correctly and the RF is giving you the hum. What do you have connected to your system besides monitor, KB/mouse and speakers? Try removing external components and replace them with others just to eliminate them as the problem. Additionally, some radio or other gadget next to your computer my be causing the noise.

Second, your MB may have an issue. You may have to have Gigabyte exchange it. (Ouch! Painful to disassemble you system to return the MB.)

Hope this helps a little. I can't think of anything else.

I have tried setting my laptop on top of the hackintosh and I have no hum so it isn't external and that wouldn't explain the additional noises associated with moving the mouse and interacting with the computer.

I am really bare-bone still on what i have connected. I have power, ethernet, video out and audio running to the same TV via separate cables, and keyboard with the mouse running through the keyboard.

I know audio issues are pretty common with these setups. Guess I will open everything up and give it a look to make sure all the audio connections are good or maybe even disconnect the audio connections to the case so I can just test it will the pure outputs from the motherboard. Not sure what my warranty on this MB is but I bought it like 5 or 6 months ago so it may have expired already. Might grab an Ubuntu LiveCD to test it with. If I have to I will just get a USB audio device and do it that way.

No issue when running Ubuntu and disconnecting the case audio connections didn't effect anything. Guess I will start looking for a USB audio solution.

I sort of figured out the problem a while back and figured I would post the (sort of) solution. The problem seems to be mostly caused by my TV. I have an LG and it has what until now has been great Auto Volume and Clear Voice features that regulates the volume level and amps voices. This is the first TV I have ever had where these features actually work and I like using them but for some reason when running OS X (but not Ubuntu for some reason) on my Hackintosh there is a tiny bit of line noise that I get both through onboard audio out and a Turtle Beach Advantage Micro II USB audio adapter. I have now been able to record this noise on my laptop but it has to be amplified to hear it. Turns out the settings on the TV were amplifying it in the absence of any other audio. Turning these features on the TV off or having other audio outputting gets rid of the noise. Maybe this will help someone else out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back