Contribute
Register

GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh yea thanks for that.

So remaining tasks for me are:

1 - I can't seem to get this second HD's desktop icon to work. I have no idea why, or how to fix it.

2 - Still need to resolve the serial and UUID

3 - open questions about sleep, speed stepping and dual dvi monitors, but I will save those questions for later. Once i have #1 and #2 above done, I will consider the system installed, stable and ready.

when I resolve #1 and #2 I will post a summary of everything I did for anyone in the future using this mobo.

oh yea thanks for that.

So remaining tasks for me are:

1 - I can't seem to get this second HD's desktop icon to work. I have no idea why, or how to fix it.

2 - Still need to resolve the serial and UUID

3 - open questions about sleep, speed stepping and dual dvi monitors, but I will save those questions for later. Once i have #1 and #2 above done, I will consider the system installed, stable and ready.

when I resolve #1 and #2 I will post a summary of everything I did for anyone in the future using this mobo.

Dewsman42

Ok then when you do repost w more questions you may want to open a new thread so we can start fresh, Also if your using Mountain Lion then use the Desktop Support forum for Mountain Lion.

I have no plans to use ML ever.

I got my HD alias fixed by essentially moving all the data to another drive and deleting the partition. Something about the partition itself was confused. I have no idea what. it was used before with 10.5. Anyway fixed now.

I used chameleon Wizard to create a smbios.plist profile and its quite nice, hopefully my info there is now rather correct, but only one issues remains open to call this install basically done and ready....UUID. I will start new threads, one for each issue. Once i have UUID fixed I will post a summary for this mobo of everything I did.

I have no plans to use ML ever.

I got my HD alias fixed by essentially moving all the data to another drive and deleting the partition. Something about the partition itself was confused. I have no idea what. it was used before with 10.5. Anyway fixed now.

I used chameleon Wizard to create a smbios.plist profile and its quite nice, hopefully my info there is now rather correct, but only one issues remains open to call this install basically done and ready....UUID. I will start new threads, one for each issue. Once i have UUID fixed I will post a summary for this mobo of everything I did.

Dewdman42

Ok glad everything is working out for you...
tote

final comment about UUID, I think its working ok out of the box. Found lots of confusing info on the net about it, but basically what it looks to me now:

1 - Chimera 2.0.1 looks at the actual BIOS to try to obtain a so called "systemid", which is a valid UUID number. If it can't find one, it might use a hard coded default. With the GA-P35-DS4, its not a problem, it finds one which is mostly all zeros and the mac address on the end.

2 - After finding the systemid, chimera will then use that to seed the generation of a new UUID number. This new number will always be the same based on the seed and doesn't have any zeros that way. Of course if your mobo isn'st producing a unique systemid, then the final UUID will also not be unique since it will be based on hard coded systemid

3 - You can override the systemid, but using the SystemId key inside org.chameleon.Boot.plist. That will then be the "seed" that is used to generate the final UUID that will be used in OSX as the hardware UUID.

In the case of the GA-P35-DS4, it seems to be producing a unique and consistent UUID without the need for a plist entry at all, so that is where I have it now....we'll see in the future whether I have any problems related to UUID, but I think its ok.

I will post a GA-P35-DS4 guide on a new thread. Thanks for your help

final comment about UUID, I think its working ok out of the box. Found lots of confusing info on the net about it, but basically what it looks to me now:

1 - Chimera 2.0.1 looks at the actual BIOS to try to obtain a so called "systemid", which is a valid UUID number. If it can't find one, it might use a hard coded default. With the GA-P35-DS4, its not a problem, it finds one which is mostly all zeros and the mac address on the end.

2 - After finding the systemid, chimera will then use that to seed the generation of a new UUID number. This new number will always be the same based on the seed and doesn't have any zeros that way. Of course if your mobo isn'st producing a unique systemid, then the final UUID will also not be unique since it will be based on hard coded systemid

3 - You can override the systemid, but using the SystemId key inside org.chameleon.Boot.plist. That will then be the "seed" that is used to generate the final UUID that will be used in OSX as the hardware UUID.

In the case of the GA-P35-DS4, it seems to be producing a unique and consistent UUID without the need for a plist entry at all, so that is where I have it now....we'll see in the future whether I have any problems related to UUID, but I think its ok.

I will post a GA-P35-DS4 guide on a new thread. Thanks for your help

Dewdman

Your Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back