GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all!

So, I purchased a couple of case off Craigslist. One was a little rough around the edges and the other in really good condition with just a couple of scrapes and scuffs. I'm lucky that one of the cases had a fully working G5 with OSX server (Woohoo!!!). Now I have the better of the two cases empty and I have no idea how to pull the pegs that are taller than my Motherboard tray.

Does anyone have any inside info on how to remove these??

Thanks!

Just grab them with a pliers and break them off. There will be a little depression there they were, but it doesn't make a hole all the way through the case or anything.

That's a good tip for removing them from the back but if you have and need to remove them from the top don't just snap them off.
The metal is thinner on the top and will show up on the out side.o_O
I just took a drill and drilled up with a small bit. :thumbup:
It took some time but the top will turn out much better.

Thanks for the tips!

As as for the top ones I was considering using a Dremel cutting wheel to cut them off and then just filling/sanding till they were gone.

Here's some pics so far!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 168
That's a good tip for removing them from the back but if you have and need to remove them from the top don't just snap them off.
The metal is thinner on the top and will show up on the out side.o_O
I just took a drill and drilled up with a small bit. :thumbup:
It took some time but the top will turn out much better.

I didn't remember having any the ceiling of my case and I had to open up my case to check it out just now to see if they could possibly still be there. There is almost no clearance between the PSU and the top of the case so if there were standoffs I would have removed them and I don't recall cutting any off, only ripping them out with a vice grips. Mine doesn't have anything showing on the exterior but if it's a thing that might happen then you should err on the side of caution and cut them off.

I didn't remember having any the ceiling of my case and I had to open up my case to check it out just now to see if they could possibly still be there.

rehpotsirhc,

Is it possible that you're case is a different build year build? I know mines a 2004, but the G5 ran from 2003 to 2006. Maybe a HDD cage redesign??

Anyway!

Cut the posts off with a dremel, and actually I didn't even have to sand them down, I used the side of the abrasive wheel to get as close to the case without scratching the case. I also found out that I shouldn't have pulled all the short motherboard standoffs out of the case:banghead:, so....I'm going toss them in a lathe and turn down the diameter of the surface that originally sat in the case just a few thousandths so that it will once again fit into the case properly. Then on to cutting out the back panel!! Woohoo!!!

On another note my motherboard, PSU, Hot swap HDD cage, CPU cooler, and other various components are coming in today. Even more excitement!

Picture time.
IMG_1655.jpgIMG_1654.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back